FanimeCon 2013 Karaoke Contest Rules

Started by Hank-KKD, April 22, 2013, 12:43:47 AM

yoshi4sushi

Quote from: Hank-KKD on April 28, 2013, 11:43:31 PM
Quote from: pantsu on April 24, 2013, 10:30:20 PM
Hi Hank!

Quick question: you mention that we can't add harmony tracks, etc....but how about cutting down a song that is too long (especially for the first round)?  For example if I wanted to sing a verse and the bridge of a song as opposed to just the first 2 minutes (which might have a long intro that wastes time) I'd need to cut the karaoke track to fit what parts I'd like to sing.  Is this okay?

Thanks!

No need to cut down a song- if it has a long intro, we can start it when the vocals begin. All songs are faded out at the time limit.

Quote from: Marisuga on April 25, 2013, 10:18:07 PM
Edit again because I have some more questions: is it ok to leave the somewhat long-ish introduction in if you have a dance/performing part to do to it? (I'm a theater person so I have the whole thing planned in my head haha) also if it's just a few seconds over the time limit is that ok? or will it be faded out to end exactly at the time limit? And will points be taken off if   for the first round it's only 1:30?

There is no penalty for songs shorter than the time limit. We start fading at 2:00, so you may get an extra second or two.

Quote from: CharminglyInsane on April 28, 2013, 07:40:06 PM
Hi Hank! <3

I have a quick question! Since I don't speak japanese, sometimes choosing songs can be kinda tricky! On youtube, some people like rockleetist will write english lyrics to fit the the song's melody and meaning as closely as possible. Would be acceptable to use something like this in the contest?

You would have to sing the Japanese lyrics, unless the song is an official English version (for example, for the dubbed version of the anime). Most of our competitors do not speak Japanese.

Quote from: yoshi4sushi on April 28, 2013, 06:04:12 PM
hank-san, what time is the sign-up going to be posted?

It will be in the evening. I will announce exact time in a few days.

thanks, hank-san. i will be on the look out.

Hero99

I have a question on voice dampening. When it says that the song will be lowered so that the vocals are low, in return making us sing louder to overlap them, will that be done at the karaoke room around check-in times or do we have to dampen it ourselves?

The two songs I wish to do for the contest are "The Homework Never Ends" (Yu Yu Hakusho) and "Now I Know" from Persona 4 Arena.

SuperSheba

Quote from: Hero99 on April 29, 2013, 04:40:12 PM
I have a question on voice dampening. When it says that the song will be lowered so that the vocals are low, in return making us sing louder to overlap them, will that be done at the karaoke room around check-in times or do we have to dampen it ourselves?

The two songs I wish to do for the contest are "The Homework Never Ends" (Yu Yu Hakusho) and "Now I Know" from Persona 4 Arena.

So you have a choice.  You can remove the vocals at home beforehand or you can have them dampen the vocals while you sing the song.  It's an instant effect and they would do it when you check-in and do a soundcheck and during the contest.  That said, even if you want them to do the dampening, you should at least try to test out what vocal dampening will sound like at home so that you can be sure that the song actually can have the vocals removed.  Some songs don't have the vocals in the center channel, making them impossible to remove or removing the vocals also removes important instrumental parts, so definitely try out vocal dampening beforehand even if you'd rather the amazing karaoke staff turn on vocal dampening at the actual competition

You don't need to tell them the names of the songs you're doing yet.  That is information that you give them when you actually sign-up for the contest.  Hope this helps!

marisuga

The two minute mark for the song I want to sing for the first round is right after the second verse ends so it's not in the middle of singing, however it doesn't make a very satisfying ending (if that makes sense?)  would it be better to stop after the first chorus (which is a more satisfyng ending place) or keep singing for longer?

and is the time limit from the time that you start singing or the time the music starts playing? because for one of my songs it's absolutely perfect for the amount of singing time but I don't want to start the music right where I start singing because then i won't know when to start

princesskitty18

Quote from: Marisuga on April 30, 2013, 01:11:56 AM
The two minute mark for the song I want to sing for the first round is right after the second verse ends so it's not in the middle of singing, however it doesn't make a very satisfying ending (if that makes sense?)  would it be better to stop after the first chorus (which is a more satisfyng ending place) or keep singing for longer?

and is the time limit from the time that you start singing or the time the music starts playing? because for one of my songs it's absolutely perfect for the amount of singing time but I don't want to start the music right where I start singing because then i won't know when to start

someone else might help answer ur question about when to stop singing
but the two minute mark starts when you begin singing
so if you have a long-ass intro, you can ask for them to cut it until when you want to start singing or something along those lines
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

himitsu_

Hi Hank~
So you mentioned there would be a time estimate for signups posted a few days before 5/5?
Might we request that? ;D

Syggie

Yes, when can we expect a time for when sign-ups open, and where will it be posted?  I'm on the edge of my seat here.

himitsu_

O_O? did I miss something

SuperSheba

Quote from: himitsu_ on May 05, 2013, 09:32:27 PM
O_O?

Be patient.  The link will be posted.  It was an ESTIMATED time of posting.  Just keep refreshing the forum page and it'll be there when Hank gets to it. :D

himitsu_

Quote from: SuperSheba on May 05, 2013, 09:35:07 PM
O_O?

Be patient.  The link will be posted.  It was an ESTIMATED time of posting.  Just keep refreshing the forum page and it'll be there when Hank gets to it. :D

I apologize that it seemed impatient.- I did not wish to offend you.
My post did not fully send. I will edit it.

SuperSheba

Quote from: himitsu_ on May 05, 2013, 09:37:06 PM
quote author=SuperSheba link=topic=18265.msg459498#msg459498 date=1367814907]
O_O?

I apologize for my appearance of impatience.
I did not wish to offend you.
[/quote]

Oh, I wasn't offended!  I just know from previous years that we have to wait.  It's just part of the game. I should have italicized the word estimated instead of putting it in all caps, but was too lazy to do so.  I just want people to remember that the amazing karaoke staff have lives outside of con.  <3  I apologize if I came across angrily.  I'm not staff or anything, but I just know it can be frustrating if people start saying things because it didn't go exactly as planned.  We're all in the same boat.  I'm stalking the forums just like you and all of the other contestants. :b

yoshi4sushi

yes. patience is a virtue. we must have faith on our staff.

Quote from: SuperSheba on May 05, 2013, 09:40:28 PM
O_O?

Oh, I wasn't offended!  I just know from previous years that we have to wait.  It's just part of the game. I should have italicized the word estimated instead of putting it in all caps, but was too lazy to do so.  I just want people to remember that the amazing karaoke staff have lives outside of con.  <3  I apologize if I came across angrily.  I'm not staff or anything, but I just know it can be frustrating if people start saying things because it didn't go exactly as planned.  We're all in the same boat.  I'm stalking the forums just like you and all of the other contestants. :b
[/quote]

himitsu_

Of course! They are diligent so it makes sense that we all have faith in the staff.
I think posts online can be construed strangely.
I've been trying to sign up for a couple years now so I was trying to make sure I hadn't confused something like past years hehe.  ;)

Quote from: yoshi4sushi on May 05, 2013, 09:42:21 PM
yes. patience is a virtue. we must have faith on our staff.

Quote from: SuperSheba on May 05, 2013, 09:40:28 PM
O_O?

[/quote]

therandomeer

Hope it's up and available in the morning, since slumber beckons. XD

Good Night all, and good luck.  :D
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -SH

Enkai

Yeah.  Ditto that.  Some of us have to be at work early tomorrow, and I'm not staying up for who knows how long.  I realize it's "part of the game" (heck, I remember the year I missed out because signups got announced on Twitter 15 minutes before the forums), but it really, really shouldn't be.

Syggie

Wow, there sure are a lot of people waiting to sign up!  Good thing there aren't over 45 people, so I don't have to worry about not getting in.

yoshi4sushi

i agree with you, sy-san. besides, i'm not sleepy yet and i'm working on my essay.

Quote from: Syggie on May 05, 2013, 10:31:37 PM
Wow, there sure are a lot of people waiting to sign up!  Good thing there aren't over 45 people, so I don't have to worry about not getting in.

Cloud

Quote from: yoshi4sushi on May 05, 2013, 10:33:35 PM
i agree with you, sy-san. besides, i'm not sleepy yet and i'm working on my essay.

What a coincidence, I'm also working on an essay! Although unfortunately for me, I'm starting to get kinda sleepy (>_<)

princesskitty18

Quote from: Cloud on May 05, 2013, 10:38:47 PM
Quote from: yoshi4sushi on May 05, 2013, 10:33:35 PM

What a coincidence, I'm also working on an essay! Although unfortunately for me, I'm starting to get kinda sleepy (>_<)
you can push through kaya! hahaha its all for the love of karaoke :D
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Cloud

Quote from: princesskitty18 on May 05, 2013, 11:00:49 PM
you can push through kaya! hahaha its all for the love of karaoke :D

hahaha thanks Jackie! definitely worth it :D