FanimeCon 2013 Karaoke Contest Rules

Started by Hank-KKD, April 22, 2013, 12:43:47 AM

Hank-KKD

FanimeCon 2013 Karaoke Contest Rules

The FanimeCon 2013 Karaoke Contest will take place on Friday, May 24. Up to 45 will vie for the right to be crowned the best singing act of FanimeCon! All finalists will receive prizes, and this year's winner will receive a beautiful microphone trophy.

All contest-related events (signups, check in, and the contest itself) will be in the Karaoke room.

Schedule

Before Con:
5/5: Online sign ups open and run until full, or until 5/17, whichever comes first.
5/20: Contest Start List posted

At Con:
5/24, 2PM to 5PM: Check-in, warm ups, and at con sign ups.
5/24, 5PM: Deadline for online sign ups to check in.
5/24, 5:15PM: If spots are available, we will add entries from the waiting list. Waiting list entries must be present to be added.
5/24, 6PM: Qualifying Round
5/24, 9:00PM: Final Round

Eligibility

You must have a valid FanimeCon badge for Friday. FanimeCon Karaoke staff, Guests of Honor, and Industry members with professional singing or voice acting experience are ineligible to compete in the contest.

If you compete as a group, all singing members of the group must sing both songs, either as lead or as backup vocals. You may not add or change singing group members between rounds.

Signing Up/Checking In

The online signup link will be posted on this forum on 5/5. To sign up, you must complete the online form completely, including your real name and mailing address, and song IDs (if you are using our library). Incomplete entries will not be accepted.

Contestants who pre-register for the contest must check in with us by 5PM on the day of the contest. To check-in for the contest, you will need your FanimeCon badge and your contest music (either on a CD, or the song numbers from our song library).  If you don't check in, then at 5 your spot may be canceled and given to the entries on the waiting list.

Any at-con sign-ups in excess of 45 will be placed on a waiting list. Waiting list entrants must be present in the Karaoke room at 5:15 to find out if they are in the contest.

Song Selection

Songs must be from the following categories: anime, vocaloid, video game, or J-rock/J-pop. Although our karaoke database has songs from other categories, only songs from the aforementioned categories may be used.

Songs limits: 2:00 (preliminary), 5:00 (finals). Songs longer than these limits will be faded out when the limit is reached.

You may not use the same song in both rounds of the contest.

English songs which were not originally created for an anime series or video game, or straight covers of such songs (for example, Fly Me To The Moon) are not allowed. Japanese adaptations of such a song are okay.

Original songs created for a localized version of an anime series or game are okay (For example, songs from Robotech or the North American Sailor Moon).

No a cappella singing. a cappella singers are invited to join our Acoustikaraoke! Contest instead.

Acoustic-only instruments (those not using an amp) are allowed if played by the singer(s) themselves. Performers part of a larger group or who desire a more complex musical setup are invited to join our Acoustikaraoke! Contest instead.

You should generally follow the song's original lyrics-this is not a "filk" contest. Changing the lyrics cannot help your score, and can hurt it.

If you bring your own music, you must provide their own music, preferably karaoke version, on an audio CD. No phones or mp3 players please. Unclaimed CDs will be disposed of at our discretion after the convention.

You may also choose songs from our open mic library. Just tell us the song ID number at signup/check-in. We are not responsible if the song sounds different from your expectations, or does not have lyrics. If you are unsure, you should try it out during the warmup period before the contest.

All contestants who do not use karaoke versions of their songs will perform with vocal dampening turned on. We want to hear you, not the original singer.
Note: Vocal dampening has been known to have unexpected effects with some songs, so if you plan to use vocal dampening, we strongly suggest that you test out your song at home before you sign up.

No song changes are allowed once the contest starts.

Scoring and Judging

In the Qualifying Round, singers will be evaluated on the following categories from each judge:

•   Vocal: musical quality of performance, breath control, pitch and tone
•   Visual Performance: stage presence; overall entertainment value; style and poise
•   Song selection/difficulty

The top ten scoring singers from the Qualifying Round will advance to the Finals.

In the Finals, each contestant will be scored by each judge in the following categories:

•   Vocal: musical quality of performance, breath control, pitch and tone (60%)
•   Visual Performance: stage presence; overall entertainment value; style and poise (30%)
•   Song selection/difficulty (10%)

In case of a tie in the preliminary round, the tied acts will advance to the final round. In the event of a tie in the finals, then a vote of the judges will determine final placement.
All decisions made by the judges are final.

Conduct
As a convention for anime fans of all ages, FanimeCon has certain standards of behavior which all convention attendees should abide by at all times. Karaoke is no exception.

All aspects of the act, including, but not limited to: costume, conduct on stage, and song lyrics, are to abide by no worse than a PG-13 standard. If you are in doubt as to whether something is suitable, just ask yourself: Would you do this in front of your mother?  If you're still in doubt, please email or post and tell us what you have in mind, and we'll make a decision.

If any violations of this policy occur, FanimeCon Karaoke staff reserves the right to disqualify offenders from the contest and/or terminate the act in mid-song. In extreme cases, offenders may also be subject to convention penalties including loss of badge and removal from the convention.

During the contest, no physical interaction with the judges or the announcer is allowed. Contestants may not leave the stage.

Contestants may not use an audience member in their act. Actions that encourage general audience participation as a whole (such as asking the crowd to sing along) are okay.

The only persons allowed in the performing stage are FanimeCon staff and contestants.

princesskitty18

and so it begins...

hi hank. do you happen to have a time-frame for registering for the contest?
thanks
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

SuperSheba

Hey Hank!

Several quick questions.  Last year we were allowed to remove vocals from non-karaoke songs at home.  Is that still okay this year?  I preferred it that way, because then I could be sure the vocals were dampened exactly as I had expected and there were no surprises during the contest.  I'm also assuming that as in previous years, recording harmonies and adding them to a track at home is not allowed?  Just making sure things have stayed the same. :D

My final question has to do with allowed songs.  One of the songs I want to sing is an ending from a gundam movie.  It's in English, and there was never any Japanese version of it.  It is not a straight cover of any song and is original to the movie.  This is alright, yes?

Thanks again for running this competition, as always!  You and the other karaoke staff are AMAZING.  Your hard work is really appreciated! <3

yumicchi88

Just  double checking...

Quote from: Hank-KKD on April 22, 2013, 12:43:47 AM
Schedule

Before Con:
5/5: Online sign ups open and run until full, or until 5/17, whichever comes first.

At Con:
5/25, 5:15PM: If spots are available, we will add entries from the waiting list. Waiting list entries must be present to be added.
5/25, 6PM: Qualifying Round
5/25, 9:00PM: Final Round

The contest is only Friday, 24th, correct?  Or is it done through two days?
Just want to be sure.

Thank you!
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

SuperSheba

Quote from: yumicchi88 on April 22, 2013, 10:45:13 PM
Just  double checking...

Quote from: Hank-KKD on April 22, 2013, 12:43:47 AM
Schedule

Before Con:

At Con:
5/25, 5:15PM: If spots are available, we will add entries from the waiting list. Waiting list entries must be present to be added.
5/25, 6PM: Qualifying Round
5/25, 9:00PM: Final Round

Just want to be sure.

Thank you!

I could be wrong, as I am not karaoke staff, but I think that was just a typo.  The Karaoke contest has been on Friday at least since 2009, and I'm pretty sure it has been for quite a bit longer than that.  The random 5:15PM on the next day also seems kind of random. 

:D

SuperSheba

Another question regarding the wording of the rules!  In the first part of the rules you say that up to 45 will compete, but you then mention sign-ups in excess of 40.  Will there be 40 slots like previous years, or will there be 45?  Thanks!

loconeko

AW YAAAA!!!!  Totally stoked for this.   ;D 

Good luck everyone!  Can't wait to see all the talent this year.

Hank-KKD

Quote from: SuperSheba on April 23, 2013, 06:18:38 PM
Another question regarding the wording of the rules!  In the first part of the rules you say that up to 45 will compete, but you then mention sign-ups in excess of 40.  Will there be 40 slots like previous years, or will there be 45?  Thanks!

45 entries this year. Note that the song time limit in the qualifying round is shorter this year. 2:00 instead of 2:30.

Quote from: yumicchi88 on April 22, 2013, 10:45:13 PM
Just want to be sure.

Thank you!

Correct. That was a typo. Fixed.

Quote from: princesskitty18 on April 22, 2013, 08:57:32 AM
and so it begins...

hi hank. do you happen to have a time-frame for registering for the contest?
thanks

We will post an approximate time frame a few days before signups open.

Quote from: SuperSheba on April 22, 2013, 08:52:07 PM
Hey Hank!

Several quick questions.  Last year we were allowed to remove vocals from non-karaoke songs at home.  Is that still okay this year?  I preferred it that way, because then I could be sure the vocals were dampened exactly as I had expected and there were no surprises during the contest.  I'm also assuming that as in previous years, recording harmonies and adding them to a track at home is not allowed?  Just making sure things have stayed the same. :D

My final question has to do with allowed songs.  One of the songs I want to sing is an ending from a gundam movie.  It's in English, and there was never any Japanese version of it.  It is not a straight cover of any song and is original to the movie.  This is alright, yes?

Thanks again for running this competition, as always!  You and the other karaoke staff are AMAZING.  Your hard work is really appreciated! <3

The song editing rules are unchanged. The only change you may make is to remove the vocals. No re-arranging, adding tracks, or remixing.
Based on your description, the Gundam song sounds okay.
You're very welcome- You guys are a fantastic group of singers!

SuperSheba

Quote from: Hank-KKD on April 24, 2013, 08:52:52 PM
Quote from: SuperSheba on April 23, 2013, 06:18:38 PM

45 entries this year. Note that the song time limit in the qualifying round is shorter this year. 2:00 instead of 2:30.

I saw that.  Thank you for answering my five million questions!  I'm SUPER pumped for the contest.  It is a large part of why I attend Fanime. <3

pantsu

Hi Hank!

Quick question: you mention that we can't add harmony tracks, etc....but how about cutting down a song that is too long (especially for the first round)?  For example if I wanted to sing a verse and the bridge of a song as opposed to just the first 2 minutes (which might have a long intro that wastes time) I'd need to cut the karaoke track to fit what parts I'd like to sing.  Is this okay?

Thanks!
2018 lineup:
Fri - Miss Frizzle
Sat - Oren Pierre Alfonso (KR Gaim)
Sun - General Leia (SW: TFA)
Mon - Samwell jersey (OMG Check Please!)

princesskitty18

this has applied in the past so im kinda assuming that its applying now

if theres instrumental in the beginning then you can skip that part
but you have to start singing when the vocals start
so if theres like a 40-second long intro, you can have the guys skip the intro and just begin singing at 0:41 seconds
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Syggie

2 minutes instead of 2:30?  Sweet, 2 minutes is exactly when the musical interlude of my song starts.  I hate those long pauses between singing when I'm doing karaoke.

marisuga

Is the rule about not changing the background track at all still in effect (as in not lowering/raising it or making it short ect.)

(edit: never mind I just answered my own question haha)

Edit again because I have some more questions: is it ok to leave the somewhat long-ish introduction in if you have a dance/performing part to do to it? (I'm a theater person so I have the whole thing planned in my head haha) also if it's just a few seconds over the time limit is that ok? or will it be faded out to end exactly at the time limit? And will points be taken off if   for the first round it's only 1:30?

himitsu_

Quote from: Marisuga on April 25, 2013, 10:18:07 PM
is it ok to leave the somewhat long-ish introduction in if you have a dance/performing part to do to it? (I'm a theater person so I have the whole thing planned in my head haha)

I'm not admin or staff, but I also have a drama background too so I totes feel you.
However, if it's over like 10 seconds of performing sans singing I'm not sure that would be to your advantage.
You want to showcase your voice the most you can. First and foremost.
Performance is secondary :D

pantsu

Okay, so now I'm a bit confused since the "editing rules" aren't laid out super clearly in the initial post and I've never competed at Fanime, so maybe someone could post those specific rules?  Mostly I'm confused as to why we can't cut a track that we bring ourselves....seems to make more sense to let us pick whatever 2:00 section we'd like and let us just cut it beforehand so the staff doesn't have to fade out the track after 2 minutes?

Sorry, just want to make sure I understand before I make song decisions...
2018 lineup:
Fri - Miss Frizzle
Sat - Oren Pierre Alfonso (KR Gaim)
Sun - General Leia (SW: TFA)
Mon - Samwell jersey (OMG Check Please!)

SuperSheba

Quote from: pantsu on April 26, 2013, 01:40:59 AM
Okay, so now I'm a bit confused since the "editing rules" aren't laid out super clearly in the initial post and I've never competed at Fanime, so maybe someone could post those specific rules?  Mostly I'm confused as to why we can't cut a track that we bring ourselves....seems to make more sense to let us pick whatever 2:00 section we'd like and let us just cut it beforehand so the staff doesn't have to fade out the track after 2 minutes?

Again, I am not staff, but from what I understand based on my questions and the rules of previous years, you cannot cut the audio.  The only editing you can do is to remove vocals on a non-karaoke track.  Anything else is prohibited.  In addition, unless the rules have changed, you don't get to pick what two minute section you sing.  You sing the first two minutes of the piece.  The only exception is if there is a long instrumental introduction.  For example, last year I sang Manten by Kalafina.  The piece has about 25 seconds of instrumental introduction.  I had the staff start the piece 20 seconds in so that it didn't cut into my performance time.  I would advise playing at least a little bit of the instrumental intro so you can get your pitch accurately. 

If I've made any mistakes, Hank, please feel free to correct me.  I just figured I'd give her the information that I already know.

yoshi4sushi

hank-san, what time is the sign-up going to be posted?

CharminglyInsane

Hi Hank! <3

I have a quick question! Since I don't speak japanese, sometimes choosing songs can be kinda tricky! On youtube, some people like rockleetist will write english lyrics to fit the the song's melody and meaning as closely as possible. Would be acceptable to use something like this in the contest?

Hank-KKD

Quote from: pantsu on April 24, 2013, 10:30:20 PM
Hi Hank!

Quick question: you mention that we can't add harmony tracks, etc....but how about cutting down a song that is too long (especially for the first round)?  For example if I wanted to sing a verse and the bridge of a song as opposed to just the first 2 minutes (which might have a long intro that wastes time) I'd need to cut the karaoke track to fit what parts I'd like to sing.  Is this okay?

Thanks!

No need to cut down a song- if it has a long intro, we can start it when the vocals begin. All songs are faded out at the time limit.

Quote from: Marisuga on April 25, 2013, 10:18:07 PM
Edit again because I have some more questions: is it ok to leave the somewhat long-ish introduction in if you have a dance/performing part to do to it? (I'm a theater person so I have the whole thing planned in my head haha) also if it's just a few seconds over the time limit is that ok? or will it be faded out to end exactly at the time limit? And will points be taken off if   for the first round it's only 1:30?

There is no penalty for songs shorter than the time limit. We start fading at 2:00, so you may get an extra second or two.

Quote from: CharminglyInsane on April 28, 2013, 07:40:06 PM
Hi Hank! <3

I have a quick question! Since I don't speak japanese, sometimes choosing songs can be kinda tricky! On youtube, some people like rockleetist will write english lyrics to fit the the song's melody and meaning as closely as possible. Would be acceptable to use something like this in the contest?

You would have to sing the Japanese lyrics, unless the song is an official English version (for example, for the dubbed version of the anime). Most of our competitors do not speak Japanese.

Quote from: yoshi4sushi on April 28, 2013, 06:04:12 PM
hank-san, what time is the sign-up going to be posted?

It will be in the evening. I will announce exact time in a few days.

Hank-KKD

Quote from: SuperSheba on April 27, 2013, 05:06:50 AM
Quote from: pantsu on April 26, 2013, 01:40:59 AM

Again, I am not staff, but from what I understand based on my questions and the rules of previous years, you cannot cut the audio.  The only editing you can do is to remove vocals on a non-karaoke track.  Anything else is prohibited.  In addition, unless the rules have changed, you don't get to pick what two minute section you sing.  You sing the first two minutes of the piece.  The only exception is if there is a long instrumental introduction.  For example, last year I sang Manten by Kalafina.  The piece has about 25 seconds of instrumental introduction.  I had the staff start the piece 20 seconds in so that it didn't cut into my performance time.  I would advise playing at least a little bit of the instrumental intro so you can get your pitch accurately. 

If I've made any mistakes, Hank, please feel free to correct me.  I just figured I'd give her the information that I already know.

This is pretty much correct. Any editing is to remove the vocals only. No re-arranging or remixing.