Not Cosplaying?

Started by Doomed_Wolf, April 24, 2013, 09:41:48 PM

Doomed_Wolf

So for the 2013 Fanime Convention I do not plan on cosplaying. I have two reasons not to...

1. I just recently discovered Fanime online and barely was able to get a hotel room
2. For the costume I would like to play in, I have much too high of standards for myself, and wouldn't have the time or money to make it as well as I want.

So, As excited as I am to meet new people and do fun things. And look forward to coming next year (prepared) lol.
I have some questions.

Will I be shunned for not cosplaying?
Will people in general be less apt to talk and converse with me if i'm NOT cosplaying?

Please Expand any experiences from the past.
Veterans? What are your thoughts on this subject?
Personal thoughts and feelings of cosplaying?

Please share I am a n00b and want to know! :)

SkylerKarashi

lol, im pretty sure no one will shun you for not cosplaying, especially if its your first year. :) and as long as your not a jerk to people, theyll would still wanna hang out and chat. if you find things in common with them of course. XD
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Doomed_Wolf on April 24, 2013, 09:41:48 PM
Will I be shunned for not cosplaying?
No, alot of people don't cosplay.
Quote from: Doomed_Wolf on April 24, 2013, 09:41:48 PM
Will people in general be less apt to talk and converse with me if i'm NOT cosplaying?
Not cosplaying doesn't really affect the possiblity of conversation except for the fact people might ask you about your cosplay or hang out with you because of it.

There are gatherings you can go to to make new friends :) though I think it's not too hard to do so outside the gatherings.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

otakuya

It's no big deal to not cosplay. Just wear something comfortable.

Sometimes people don't wear much at Fanime either; and they think bare chest, wearing a dog collar, holding a sign, and wearing cat ears automatically mean cosplay, especially at 2am on the convention floor with hardly any photo shoots going on.

I realized I just ranted. Sorry.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Otakuya on April 24, 2013, 10:56:24 PM
...bare chest, wearing a dog collar, holding a sign, and wearing cat ears ... especially at 2am on the convention floor....
you're talking about those who are just getting out of the dance- aren't you? XD

Mod edit: called a dance

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

XeroRain

Pretty much what everyone else said. You won't be shunned for not cosplaying. Nearly half the people that go there give or take don't cosplay and if they do its more likely overrated popular animes, and people have the same costumes. Last year I saw only about 15 unique cosplayers that I liked. Everyone else was doing Madoka.
2014/2015: Cosplaying as Ludger from Tales of Xillia 2
2016: Garry from Ib
2017: Gaius from Fire Emblem (wip)

Glitch

You really are new.  ;D

Anyway, anime conventions are made up of several types of people. Everybody is pretty much doing their own thing. People are just there to have a good time. And of course more 60% I would say are not in any type of costume.

So don't worry. It's all good.

djmonolith

Quote from: Glitch on April 25, 2013, 10:56:09 PM
You really are new.  ;D

Anyway, anime conventions are made up of several types of people. Everybody is pretty much doing their own thing. People are just there to have a good time. And of course more 60% I would say are not in any type of costume.

So don't worry. It's all good.

Agree 100% - There are so many different types of people.  But we are all there because we love anime/manga... I will bet that you return in 2014 in costume.  It is hard not to...
This is my signature.

AngelWings

To the shiny new person! First off don't worry about being ostracized for not cosplaying. One of the best things about Fanime is that as long as you have an interest in anime/video games/costuming/music/dance/laughing uproariously you will make friends. In fact in my op taking the first without cosplaying is better just because you can run around and look at everything without having to worry about your costume or how long it will take you to walk across the con center because of how often you need to stop for photos. My personal advice would be if anything sounds remotely interesting go do it! If your standing in line talk to your neighbors as you obviously have something in common. Most everyone will be friendly and open to talking to you (especially if you remember to regularly bathe and brush your teeth!)

Wow. Sorry kinda got exuberant about that.

Glitch

Quote from: AngelWings on April 29, 2013, 03:06:18 AM
To the shiny new person! First off don't worry about being ostracized for not cosplaying. One of the best things about Fanime is that as long as you have an interest in anime/video games/costuming/music/dance/laughing uproariously you will make friends. In fact in my op taking the first without cosplaying is better just because you can run around and look at everything without having to worry about your costume or how long it will take you to walk across the con center because of how often you need to stop for photos. My personal advice would be if anything sounds remotely interesting go do it! If your standing in line talk to your neighbors as you obviously have something in common. Most everyone will be friendly and open to talking to you (especially if you remember to regularly bathe and brush your teeth!)

Especially that. An awesome thing about Fanime is how you can literally have a fun conversation going with strangers in a split second. I am always chatting on elevator rides.

AngelWings

Quote from: Glitch on April 30, 2013, 01:35:45 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on April 29, 2013, 03:06:18 AM

Especially that. An awesome thing about Fanime is how you can literally have a fun conversation going with strangers in a split second. I am always chatting on elevator rides.

Ooh yeah that's another thing. Keep your eyes peeled around the hotel and any food places simply because that's a good place to run into random people you met earlier or even guests of honor/music guests occasionally.

Doomed_Wolf

Answers are appreciated.
Although I don't need advice on socializing.

Thanks All See you all later this month!

TheLordMark

im one of the few who chooses not to cosplay, its too much of a hassle.
"In soviet russia, system beats you"

The_Only_BlackGuyin_Anime

No need to cosplay. People are generally nice at the con that is what I like about it the most. You get your assholes here and there but for the most part you should be fine. I didn't cosplay for my first three years at Fanime and never got any heat. I will say the ladies do notice you more when you are in costume though lol
*Link Removed*