The All Important Schedule Question...

Started by Gwydion, May 04, 2013, 01:13:55 AM

Gwydion

So! ^^

How likely is it that we'll get a schedule before the Con actually starts? *grins* I just have to ask out of curiosity, and knowledge of a long and amusing history of this con and schedules. ^^

echoshadow

I'm glad someone other than me has taken notice. By the looks of things and the trend lately, I'll say a full 2 days before the start of day 0.

Sarcastically joking aside, lets not have a repeat of last year. A partial schedule would be fine at this point.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Nina Star 9

A full 2 days before Day 0? No, no, far too soon! The schedule will be finalized about...Saturday afternoon of the con.  ;)

I'm hoping to be able to see one soon, but I'm mostly hoping to not have a repeat of a few years ago, when there were no printed schedules at the con. I'll try to remember to print one out pre-con regardless.

ewu

Hi all, we try to get the schedule out as soon as possible. BUT there are LOTS of event and they need to be jigasaw puzzled in place, not to mention lots of the guests and videos do not get confirmed until these last few weeks. Factor in the time it takes to rearrange programs to make sure there is a room for it and the schedule only gets posted 5-20 days before con.

AND we don't want to post the schedule and have people making plans, when some guest or event may appear and mess up the aforementioned plans.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

thepsynergist

Couldn't you post an online schedule confirming time slots of what you do know, then fill in the blanks as they come up?  At least that way, we'd have somewhat of an idea.

ewu

That's the horrible thing. When one high profile guest confirms, one of that guest's many events may cause 5 panels or other events to be shifted around. BUT, when guests confirm or videos are acquired, they add 3-10 events that have that same/cumulative far-reaching effect. And get this, the events that get shifted around often have nothing to do with the event that caused it to shift in the first place. It's as simple as we need this room at this time. So the long and short, we are trying and working hard.

Quote from: thepsynergist on May 06, 2013, 05:48:49 PM
Couldn't you post an online schedule confirming time slots of what you do know, then fill in the blanks as they come up?  At least that way, we'd have somewhat of an idea.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

echoshadow

So what is the difference now, compared to 2 years ago when you didn't have Clockwork Alchemy? If I remember correctly the schedule was out a full 3+ weeks before the con.

Is it possible that maybe running two cons at the same time is not a good idea?

ewu

The schedules for CA and FC are actually coordinated by different teams. Its difficult to say, but its a combination of delay caused by construction and planning accordingly, individual program specific issues, and other things that are not matters that can or should be publicly revealed. In the end, we are working hard to get it up as soon as we can.

Quote from: echoshadow on May 07, 2013, 06:18:53 AM
So what is the difference now, compared to 2 years ago when you didn't have Clockwork Alchemy? If I remember correctly the schedule was out a full 3+ weeks before the con.

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Gwydion

There's no difference, honestly. Sure one year it might have been out early...but another it was out the day before, one year it didn't come out at all (which actually was the printer's fault, not fanime's), and so on. Clockwork Alchemy has nothing to do with it really. And I'm sure the construction and logistics issues this year do not help anything at all. ^^

PinkHairSasuke

If the schedule was finalized and posted at least a day before Day 0 then I'd be happy.

M

Are you implying that Clockwork Alchemy is the reason why our schedule isn't out 3+ weeks before the con? I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Clockwork Alchemy is ruining FanimeCon or taking resources away. They are an event with their own staff, resources, and even event space - it just happens that FanimeCon helped them get started.

I remember when we released the schedule that early and had to change it almost once an hour during the daytime because things were shifting so much. The feedback that we received was that we can either "not released the schedule until it was more finalized" or we could "continue to confuse attendees and staff with the numerous changes that occur within the last month of planning".
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

echoshadow

Quote from: MPLe on May 09, 2013, 02:56:49 AM
Are you implying that Clockwork Alchemy is the reason why our schedule isn't out 3+ weeks before the con? I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Clockwork Alchemy is ruining FanimeCon or taking resources away. They are an event with their own staff, resources, and even event space - it just happens that FanimeCon helped them get started.

I remember when we released the schedule that early and had to change it almost once an hour during the daytime because things were shifting so much. The feedback that we received was that we can either "not released the schedule until it was more finalized" or we could "continue to confuse attendees and staff with the numerous changes that occur within the last month of planning".
That's news to me. Well it really does seem like C.A. is. After all both Fanime and C.A.'s guide book/schedule came from the same place, also Fanime kind of introduced it as a sister con, then Fanime did say they wanted more programing  options to fellow Fanime attendees then less, so one naturaly assumed that C.A. was.

That and the cloak and dager way schedule info gets relased.

That year when the schedule was out early I hardly notice the changes, mostly because I had a general time which event/panels where listed, and I keep an eye out if such event/panel was moved the next day or such.

While I agree to relase the schedule till its more finalized, that doesn't mean wait to the last minute on the day before the con. That's logical, well at lest to me an averge con attendee.

M

Quote from: echoshadow on May 09, 2013, 05:19:53 AM
Quote from: MPLe on May 09, 2013, 02:56:49 AM

That's news to me. Well it really does seem like C.A. is. After all both Fanime and C.A.'s guide book/schedule came from the same place, also Fanime kind of introduced it as a sister con, then Fanime did say they wanted more programing  options to fellow Fanime attendees then less, so one naturaly assumed that C.A. was.

That and the cloak and dager way schedule info gets relased.

That year when the schedule was out early I hardly notice the changes, mostly because I had a general time which event/panels where listed, and I keep an eye out if such event/panel was moved the next day or such.

While I agree to relase the schedule till its more finalized, that doesn't mean wait to the last minute on the day before the con. That's logical, well at lest to me an averge con attendee.
Having the FanimeCon/Clockwork Alchemy combined program guide saves both events money and can generate interest between the two events (instead of not advertising the other event at all).

I know that the pocket schedule was released one-two days before con last year, but I believe that the schedule website was released the weekend before con. It's a moot point, but we're going to try to get the schedule website up asap.

djmonolith

If a schedule can't be published prior to Fanime, perhaps a LIST of events would be helpful.  Just knowing the events would help me plan my weekend.
This is my signature.

Gwydion

Quote from: djmonolith on May 10, 2013, 03:44:35 PM
If a schedule can't be published prior to Fanime, perhaps a LIST of events would be helpful.  Just knowing the events would help me plan my weekend.

There is a list of events. All over the website in their proper sections. There's even a Panel Listing up, so we can all see the panels that'll happen this year.

djmonolith

Quote from: Gwydion on May 10, 2013, 04:06:56 PM
Quote from: djmonolith on May 10, 2013, 03:44:35 PM

There is a list of events. All over the website in their proper sections. There's even a Panel Listing up, so we can all see the panels that'll happen this year.

Yes... perhaps I should have been more clear.  One list so that I don't have to bounce around "all over the website in their proper sections" - like a table where one could see all the events listed in one place.
This is my signature.

M

Quote from: djmonolith on May 10, 2013, 04:30:30 PMYes... perhaps I should have been more clear.  One list so that I don't have to bounce around "all over the website in their proper sections" - like a table where one could see all the events listed in one place.
The schedule should be posted before FanimeCon.

echoshadow

Quote from: MPLe on May 10, 2013, 03:23:53 PM...but I believe that the schedule website was released the weekend before con. It's a moot point, but we're going to try to get the schedule website up asap.

Sadly that was not ture at all. The website was up on a Tuesday night just a bit 2 days shy from day zero.
Quote from: MPLe on May 10, 2013, 04:50:16 PM
The schedule should be posted before FanimeCon.
FACEPALM, really? So that means the day before day zero, on day zero, or Friday morring?

GokuMew2

Panels schedule is available here: http://www.fanime.com/events-and-exhibits/panels/panel-listing
I notice that not all the guest panels are up (ROOKiEZ isn't listed yet), but it's a start if you're looking to attend any panels.

MusicFest will be Saturday night, as has already been announced on the official sites for 7!! and ROOKiEZ.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

davidnguyen408

When is the online schedule going to be up? I want to plan stuff with my wife already...