Dance Question~ ^0^

Started by Guardianangel743, May 14, 2013, 10:47:25 PM

Guardianangel743

Hello there Fanime goers,

In all my attendances of Fanime I've yet to go to the Black and White Ball so I'm not sure how exactly it works. It seems enticing, but the dance rule kind of scares me off a bit only because I doubt my dancing capabilities.

So I just wanted to clarify, what if one is unable to attend all the dance lesson or even dance the certain types of dances? In this case can they not go to the Ball? Also, how will they know which song matches with which dance?

Thank you very much~

Nina Star 9

Typically, there is a screen that projects the name of the song and suggested dance types for that song, so you won't have to figure it out on your own. :)

You can also often find dance partners who know the dance and can teach you a few steps. If you can remember those few steps for the rest of the night, you're good to go with other partners, since you can elaborate on them. It may be a little harder as a man, as you would e expected to lead, but you can probably still pick up some steps and use them throughout the night.

Also, if you can't make the dance lessons, see if you can look up videos of how to do certain basic dances so you'll at least have some knowledge of how they work and the steps/beat/etc. before you get there. It will help quite a bit!

I'm quite a terrible dancer and know very few dances (I'm decent in chacha and waltz, and can do some swing if I have a really good leader, but am hopeless at about anything else), but still manage to have a lot of fun at the ball every year. :)

Guardianangel743

Oh I understand! Yay for screens! \(^0^)/

As for dance partners, I actually was thinking of going with my boyfriend... ^///^.

Oh and looking up videos, this is a good idea. =D If we clumsily can't do the dance though, is it possible just to dance our own kind of dance or is that strictly prohibited? (Eeep I would imagine we would look odd, but well this might happen eeep) >< XD

Thank you for the information Nina Star 9, it has helped me greatly! =D

echoshadow

The dancing part should never scare you. Asking a girl/boy to dance with you should lol.

If you can't make it to the dance lessions or can't see some vids on line... there is always the option of waching other people dance, or copying their moves.

If you don't know the dance and start to make some random movements causing a scene or dissrupting others then I say don't do it. Chances are dance staff will ask you to leave the dance floor. Like that one time some one dude wanted to brake dance durring a waltz..totaly not cool.

But as long as your trying to dance the right kind of dance you'll have no problems.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

kaemis

Quote from: echoshadow on May 15, 2013, 02:19:23 AM
If you can't make it to the dance lessions or can't see some vids on line... there is always the option of waching other people dance, or copying their moves.

If you don't know the dance and start to make some random movements causing a scene or dissrupting others then I say don't do it. Chances are dance staff will ask you to leave the dance floor. Like that one time some one dude wanted to brake dance durring a waltz..totaly not cool.

But as long as your trying to dance the right kind of dance you'll have no problems.

These tutorials are very helpful. I'd highly recommend watching one or two:) http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLED096DA366F32482&feature=plcp

You definitely do not need to be the best dancer. If you don't know a specific dance, you can move along to the song or use other dancers as a reference. One time I asked someone to dance during an East Coast Swing song, but he didn't know the steps so we just stepped side to side to the beat of the music (basically we threw out the rock-step). He even improvised by throwing some turns in *^^*. It was honestly one of the funnest dances I had during the night. So just have fun and as long as you don't disturb the other people on the dance floor, you should be fine. As an example, if you want to dance in one stationary spot during a waltz (or any dance that travels), you should move to the center of the floor so you don't block the traveling dancers. For more specific rules check out the official FAQ: http://www.fanime.com/events-and-exhibits/events/black-white-ball/black-white-ball-faq

Nina Star 9

Ah, the good old FAQ! I've also danced dances not suggested for the song off to the side, as in, not on the dance floor at all, but also not blocking traffic. That way, I won't be in the way of the line of dance at all.

Somehow, last year I ended up going with a date who is a worse dancer than I am. I'm not entirely sure how that was possible, but we mostly just used our combined (limited) knowledge of dance along with watching other dancers in order to muddle our way through. (She's fantastic and I love her to death, but we really needed to make use of the dance lessons!) I actually ended up leading a lot of the time, which I've never really done before, just so I could teach her the steps, and then we'd switch off, which was fun.

Going with a date who doesn't know how to dance either can be difficult, but you can make it work. :) I'd def watch the Youtube videos so that both of you can get an idea of how to do some basic steps. It will be a lot more fun for both of you, I'm sure.

As long as whatever you are dancing fits with the song and the ball, and you aren't getting in anyone else's way, then go for it. No breakdancing, no rave-type dancing, no conga lines, etc., and be sure to not get in anyone's way. You two will have a lot of fun, I'm sure. :)

princesskitty18

all of the responses are really good and pretty on par wit what i would say as staff

during the ball itself, there will be a projector screen at the front of the room that says the type of dance and the name of the song itself.
lets say that the night club two step is being played but u dont know what the dance is. no problem! like what others have said, u can kinda go to the center of the dance floor and step side to side with the music.

i wouldn't say that dancing ur own thing is prohibited persay, but if it does cause a disturbance, then staff will ask u to cease and if it continues, then 'please leave'. we havent had a huuuge problem wit it before. just sometimes ppl like to jump a lot or do a soul train line or something..it definitely gets interesting

if u cant make any of the lessons, then thats okay. what the other people have suggested is correct. u can watch others and kinda copy, or if u manage to find someone that knows the steps then thats great too. or u can go to the center of the dance floor away from the flow of traffic and kinda do the side-to-side sorta thing again lol.

the videos are on youtube if u should choose to watch them. they're relatively easy to pick up. we'll only be teaching the basic steps during the lessons anyway. if more intermediate people want to learn, then there are private lessons for those interspersed throughout friday, saturday and sunday.

i hope that me and others have at least helped answer some questions. if u have any more, feel free to email black&white ball staff or message me or post  another question :)
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Okach

On the floor, we encourage partner dances because we've had safety issues with solo dancers stomping on people's feet because they weren't looking where they were going. solo dancing also disrupts the flow of the floor on waltzes and other travelling dances.  There is NO proficiency requirement - you're dancing with a partner on the floor, we aren't bothering you.  You CAN solo dance off the floor.  You can try solo dancing on the floor too, but don't be surprised if you're asked to stop it (as stated in the FAQ). 

fyi - this year we are trying out big posters with the name of the dance on it to help folks...mainly because of cost. 
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/