Transgender individuals and badge names

Started by Tsubasakissu, May 28, 2013, 08:27:26 PM

Tsubasakissu

Is there any sort of way to NOT have our legal name printed on badges, and instead have a preferred name? (with some sort of short explanation thing when reging for a badge?) As a transgender individual, I feel REALLY self-conscious and slightly ashamed of my badge when I have to have my legal, birthname printed onto it. In fact, I hate it so much that these last two years I'd had my friend group-register for me and have had them pick up my badge with my preferred name so that way I could by-pass the whole "you need an id to get your badge thing". I know its against your rules, but I really dont like my legal name being known by my friends.
Would there be any chance of Reg staff setting something up to help accommodate transgender individuals and their name/ID issues?

NOTE: The "fan name" doesnt work/do anything, since the legal name is still plainly visible by the fan name.

chifunii

legal names are only used for identification when picking up badges, and also if any problems come up mid-con (medical emergencies, or altercations with other con-goers...), and this year they were printed very small in comparison to the fan name. I couldn't see anyone's legal name unless I held the badge in my hand.

I don't think it'll be possible to change the name you register with unless you change your name legally, though, if the reg staff don't answer here, I think their e-mail is [email protected], and you can ask them there. I think someone else had also brought up this concern, though I don't know how it turned out.

I hope you'll be able to get to use the name you'd like!
FanimeCon attendee: 2008-

Sen

Yes. In the future you can email [email protected] about your badge name.
We respect the privacy of our attendees and will make accommodations when necessary.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

leepoffaith

I'm going to say, I sure as hell feel safer knowing that people's legal names are on their badge.  If I get punched or harassed by another con attendee, I want to be able to have a chance at identifying him instead of saying a fan name shared by lots of people.
2013 Cosplays
Day 1 - Sona (LoL)
Day 2 - Leefa (SAO)
Day 3 - Asuna (SAO)
Day 4 - Britney Spears

eralston

Quote from: leepoffaith on June 24, 2013, 05:38:43 PM
I'm going to say, I sure as hell feel safer knowing that people's legal names are on their badge.  If I get punched or harassed by another con attendee, I want to be able to have a chance at identifying him instead of saying a fan name shared by lots of people.

I suggest looking at the badge number as that is a truly unique identifier for both attendees and staff.
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

kookiekween99

Quote from: leepoffaith on June 24, 2013, 05:38:43 PM

As eralston said, the badge number is a better unique identifier than a name anyway. For a special case as this, I think it's completely reasonable to make an exception.

For a transgender individual, having a name that doesn't match up with their gender can be more than just a personal issue - it can be a matter of security as well. Take, for example, a biological male who was born as John but identifies as female Jane. Having to go through con with the name "John" prominiently displayed would probably make her embarrassed and self concious, but there are many cases of transgender individuals being harrassed or physically assaulted just for being transgender. It's sick, but it's true. If this hypothetical girl were able to request to have "Jane" on her badge instead, it would help reduce this security risk.

I'm not saying that I expect all transgender individuals to get assaulted if their badge name doesn't match their identity, but it is a comfort and ease of mind thing as well.

PS: The OP didn't specify his/her gender/preferred pronouns, so I just used a hypothetical example to demonstrate.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

PinkHairSasuke

I agree, in a case like this, I think it'd be perfectly acceptable to make an exception. Like kookiekween99 said, transgender individuals do get harassed or physically assaulted just for being transgender. Allowing the exception would help make their attendance more safe and enjoyable. 

ewu

ok, Sen already indicated the proper course of action. Gonna lock this up.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom