Where Do You Eat at FanimeCon?

Started by JohnnyAR, July 27, 2013, 12:05:03 PM

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: keitoghostie on April 16, 2014, 07:39:26 PM
also speaking of cheesesteak... a couple years ago i went to the cheesesteak shop (that's its full name) and they gave everyone in our group free soft drinks and i think a 10% discount because we had fanime badges! it was very nice!

That must have been back around 2011.  IIRC that year Fanime teamed up with several local restaurants to give attendees discounts by simply presenting your badge.  However, I don't think they continued with that.  At least, I don't remember those deals being advertised last year or 2012.

Imperial

Quote from: foester on April 16, 2014, 04:27:38 PM
Quote from: tjimmy2 on April 15, 2014, 10:58:19 PM
Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on April 15, 2014, 03:32:20 PM
Quote from: tjimmy2 on April 15, 2014, 01:35:07 AM
I'm going to be that guy that brings steak and tri-tip for my electric grill and cook it there in my room. but personally, I got last year the 7 treasures from 7 treasures, and made it last for a good chunk of it.

Haha, nice!  I've heard of people bringing electric rice cookers and oatmeal, but nothing quite on that level before.  Just curious though, what do you mean by "the 7 treasures from 7 treasures"?  I've never heard of that before.
its a chinese shop on the same strip as johnny rockets, and its the 1 of everything order they traditionally have on ready there for little over 9 bucks. you get a lot of bang for your buck for good quality food.

Is the place actually called "7 Treasures"? I couldn't find it on yelp or google.
I cant find it myself on google maps, but I remember its a hop and a skip from johnny rockets and tandoori

pimpslapboxer

Not sure if it's still there, but there was Kabob Shack next to Hoagie Steak Out and it was around the same price.   If you don't mind walking, there's also Los Cubanos (cuban food) which I think was either in San Pedro market or the street next to it.

keitoghostie

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on April 18, 2014, 04:48:09 PM
Quote from: keitoghostie on April 16, 2014, 07:39:26 PM
also speaking of cheesesteak... a couple years ago i went to the cheesesteak shop (that's its full name) and they gave everyone in our group free soft drinks and i think a 10% discount because we had fanime badges! it was very nice!

That must have been back around 2011.  IIRC that year Fanime teamed up with several local restaurants to give attendees discounts by simply presenting your badge.  However, I don't think they continued with that.  At least, I don't remember those deals being advertised last year or 2012.
It was 2012! I don't think it was advertised but it happened.

Xanreo

The 10% discount was active last year.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Pounce!

freewayangel092

Hey does anyone know a good bagel and/or crepe place for saturday and sunday mornings???
anything near the Fairmont would help....thanks

freewayangel092

Quote from: Avairrianna on April 08, 2014, 04:40:30 PM
And don't forget about taking the deals off of websites like Groupon! I already have 3 meals paid for that weekend around the convention center ^^ Great way to A) Try new places that you've maybe never been before, B) Pay for food before you even get there!, and C) Get them at discounts anyways!

I've already got the Asian fusion place behind the Fairmont, the crazy hot dog place, and an Irish restaurant under my belt! (Just a word of warning, If Psycho Donuts puts out a coupon they will not honor it on Fanime weekend. This happened last year but since we were from out of town they hooked us up!)

What crazy hot dig place are you talking about??? you know name of it where it at????

Mango Bunny

Quote from: tjimmy2 on April 15, 2014, 01:35:07 AM
I'm going to be that guy that brings steak and tri-tip for my electric grill and cook it there in my room. but personally, I got last year the 7 treasures from 7 treasures, and made it last for a good chunk of it.

That's like the worst idea ever. I can't imagine that doesn't violate fire code. I also can't imagine having to get the smell of cooking out of the room after you leave.
Don't be a dick, don't cook anything in the room. It's so hideously inconsiderate to the overloaded hotel staff.

kookiekween99

ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Pounce! on May 18, 2014, 10:46:21 AM
Do try to resist their con prices, mmkay... :P

http://psychodonuts.blogspot.com/2014/05/psycho-and-fanime.html

That looks amazing =D.  IIRC last year when they were in the new food court, unfortunately they only had a few sushi bentos and some of the chocolate takoyaki donut holes during the few times they were stocked...seemed like they were constantly sold out.  Granted I'm sure their in-store selection is much better, and I'm hoping to pick up a few treats from there over the weekend =).  Lol feels slightly wrong that I've been going to Fanime since 2007 and haven't had a sushi bento yet from them.

Quote from: freewayangel092 on May 20, 2014, 12:40:32 PM
Hey does anyone know a good bagel and/or crepe place for saturday and sunday mornings???
anything near the Fairmont would help....thanks

If you don't mind spending a little extra, there are two crepe places fairly close by - Whispers Cafe and La Luna Sucree.  I would have included a screenshot from the Yelp search, but couldn't figure out how to insert it here.

Giantsgiants

Anyone know of any good Italian restaurants near the convention?

keitoghostie

Quote from: Giantsgiants on May 21, 2014, 04:43:50 PM
Anyone know of any good Italian restaurants near the convention?

I've never been there, but I've heard good things about Original Joe's, which is literally a block away from the convention center.

I really like Giorgio's but it's definitely a drive or bus ride from the convention center.

otakuya

^ Il Fornaio at the St Claire is the only Italian I know of around the cc. There's a bunch on San Pedro Square, like Spaghetti Factory.

Anyone know of food trucks being around Fanime?

Xanreo

Grande Pizzeria.

Great service and pretty good Italian food.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order