Cosplay Donation Idea

Started by demetria656, October 15, 2013, 12:50:27 AM

demetria656

I just thought of this random idea.
I am a avid cosplayer and always love to make costumes, I often find myself retireing costumes and find them collecting dust.

When I look around the con I always talk to people who can never aford a cosplay, never cosplayed (But want to),They forget their cosplay, or they didn't have time to make one.
I went over to Sac-anime and noticed they did a thing where people could donate dresses and suits for a dance and they would get a discounted item for the con or something of the sort.
Why don't we open a open cosplay donation box, where cosplayers can drop off costumes they don't want, get something small but snazzy or even nothing and then give others or sell the others that don't have one for a reasonable/affordable price a cosplay to wear.

Nicer cosplays can even be auctioned or something.

Comment? Concerns?
Fanime 2014:
Ms.Fortune- Skullgirls
Ms.Marvel (Kamala Khan)
Noiz- DMMD
Red Robe- Journey
Beat- Jet Set Radio
Satsuki- Kill La Kill
Kida- Atlantis
Malik Al-Sayf- Assassin's Creed
Sasha & Eren- SNK

echoshadow

Sounds like a great idea. Although if it is a donation you really shouldn't expect to get anything in return. And typically not everyone will have a one size fits all cosplay. Chances are if they do find something it would require tailoring. 

The only problem I see is the cheap greedy bastards that would take advantage of it. If there where staff in place that would make sure no one takes more than they should or try to hoard cosplays for later profit, then it should be ok.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Sivartius

That sounds like an awesome idea.  I work at a surplus store, and I'm always seeing things that we can't sell for love or money that would be great for cosplay, just not in my size, (and for some, well, I'm not ready for crossplay.)  On the other hand, there are things that I would like to cosplay, but I either can't find or can't afford one or more pieces. I could bring several dark blue sailor tops, if someone needed navy blue sailor-fuku. Just for an example.
I'm not actually crazy, but I'm not conventionally sane.

Admiral Donuts

I think a donation box at the swap meet would go over well. Lots of people are just trying to get rid of stuff and if it doesn't sell, leave it behind.