Anime Video Game Cosplay Geek Clearing House > General Anime Chat

Is Cosplay Color Blind?

(1/3) > >>

The_Only_BlackGuyin_Anime:
This has never happened to me, but every once in a while I hear some ignorant person at famine who sees a cosplayer of color and says something along the lines of “Why are they cosplaying as that character, they are not Caucasian or Asian.” I just wanted to hear people's opinion  or experiences on the topic of “Cosplay Being Color Blind”

Valcust:
I, too, have come across this issue before. Being of native descent myself, my darkened skin isn't exactly "accurate" to some characters I choose to cosplay, although people tend to forget that the entire reasoning behind cosplay is fun, pure and simple.
I wonder, what do people who find this "lack of accuracy" think of people cosplaying as dark elves, or aliens, or orks and things of that nature? "Oh, their skin's not REALLY green, they can't pull that off!"
The entire notion behind that way of thinking is just ignorant and awful /)_=
So long as a person is putting true EFFORT into a piece and is having FUN with it, they deserve nothing other than praise and respect~

pokefan995:
Who cares if theyre the right color or not. People chose the character because they like him or her foe who they are, not nessesarily what they look like. Let the cosplayers have their fun!!! :)

The_Only_BlackGuyin_Anime:

--- Quote from: Valcust on January 21, 2014, 02:42:57 PM ---I, too, have come across this issue before. Being of native descent myself, my darkened skin isn't exactly "accurate" to some characters I choose to cosplay, although people tend to forget that the entire reasoning behind cosplay is fun, pure and simple.
I wonder, what do people who find this "lack of accuracy" think of people cosplaying as dark elves, or aliens, or orks and things of that nature? "Oh, their skin's not REALLY green, they can't pull that off!"
The entire notion behind that way of thinking is just ignorant and awful /)_=
So long as a person is putting true EFFORT into a piece and is having FUN with it, they deserve nothing other than praise and respect~

--- End quote ---

I agree with both of you. Cosplay should be fun! It is a sad fact that some can not see this light.

Anix:
Only the ignorant choose characters by skin color. One of my best friends cosplay as Mario and he's black. I'd slap anyone that dared say something like that to him. Doesn't mean we don't push him towards characters like Dutch and Coach because he can pull them off better than us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version