Steam Machines

Started by Lucifargundam, January 25, 2014, 01:55:21 AM

Lucifargundam

Anyone looking foward to the upcomming steam consoles?  I can understand how some people can think of it as somewhat ironic, but I think it'd be neat at least take a look at. Don't think I'll buy one- but I don't want to swear myself out of it either.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

TC X0 Lt 0X

If push comes to shove I would just install SteamOS onto my existing computer.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on January 30, 2014, 08:09:17 PM
I don't think the OS is going to be mandatory to continue playing steam. But I'd probably do the same too unless something else happened.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Lucifargundam on January 30, 2014, 08:11:52 PM
I don't think the OS is going to be mandatory to continue playing steam. But I'd probably do the same too unless something else happened.

Of Course, but there are likely going to be a few exclusive games released

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 02, 2014, 07:54:23 PM
Quote from: Lucifargundam on January 30, 2014, 08:11:52 PM

Of Course, but there are likely going to be a few exclusive games released
I never thought of that... i wonder how big the incentives are going to be...

Mr Lex

If you have a gaming PC there's not too much reason for a Steambox, but otherwise I think it's a nicer option than the other consoles on the market.

I have to wonder if anybody will actually make SteamOS exclusives, though. Valve said they wouldn't do it, but they can't stop third party developers from doing so. I don't really think it would make somebody want to buy a Steambox for an exclusive though. And I really hope nobody is crazy enough to write over their OS on their desktop PC with Steam OS just to play a game.

limDsage

Quote from: Mr Lex on February 03, 2014, 07:39:55 PM
And I really hope nobody is crazy enough to write over their OS on their desktop PC with Steam OS just to play a game.

Sadly, that will happen to some people. As far as the concept of Steam Machines goes, I think it's a cool idea, however why not just build your own PC with a little less than what these machines will cost. And yes, if you're looking for exclusivity, then console is really a good idea.

If dual booting between a Win/SteamOS is an option, then there you go. But then again, you already have Windows, so just install steam there. :p

Twitter: @limDsage
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/sicse7en
Youtube gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/limDsage
PSN: sicse7en

mikasa-san

Saw this the other day. I have my doubts about the controller they're putting with it, but I like the box it comes in.

http://9gag.com/gag/a1AmDrD/valve-s-steam-machine-unboxing
FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)

Lucifargundam

Quote from: limDsage on February 03, 2014, 09:47:13 PM
Quote from: Mr Lex on February 03, 2014, 07:39:55 PM
And I really hope nobody is crazy enough to write over their OS on their desktop PC with Steam OS just to play a game.

Sadly, that will happen to some people. As far as the concept of Steam Machines goes, I think it's a cool idea, however why not just build your own PC with a little less than what these machines will cost. And yes, if you're looking for exclusivity, then console is really a good idea.

If dual booting between a Win/SteamOS is an option, then there you go. But then again, you already have Windows, so just install steam there. :p
The browser for the SteamOS had better be better(wait, wut?) than the current....  I'll keep my Linux lol

I wonder what kind of security the OS will have?

Mr Lex

Quote from: Lucifargundam on February 04, 2014, 08:36:43 PM
The browser for the SteamOS had better be better(wait, wut?) than the current....  I'll keep my Linux lol

I somehow feel like Steam OS won't have enough of a population for it to be targeted by very many viruses. I still can't imagine that it'd be the most secure thing in the world, though. I'm way too computer illiterate to move away from Windows, but I'm not silly enough to use Steam OS all of the sudden on my PC.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Mr Lex on February 07, 2014, 12:07:51 AM

I somehow feel like Steam OS won't have enough of a population for it to be targeted by very many viruses. I still can't imagine that it'd be the most secure thing in the world, though. I'm way too computer illiterate to move away from Windows, but I'm not silly enough to use Steam OS all of the sudden on my PC.
My fear would be that people would try to hack into accounts to get card info or transfer account balances or something related to that junk... Dunno(never thought about it) how the Steam wallet system works exactly- but I'll just guess till I give a care.

Mr Lex

Quote from: Lucifargundam on February 07, 2014, 02:51:36 AM

My fear would be that people would try to hack into accounts to get card info or transfer account balances or something related to that junk... Dunno(never thought about it) how the Steam wallet system works exactly- but I'll just guess till I give a care.

Those of us running Steam on Windows are already at risk of that. Same thing with each time you access your e-mail. If you're particularly paranoid about these kinds of things I recommend making sure your credit card info isn't saved anywhere.

limDsage

Quote from: Mr Lex on February 10, 2014, 02:10:10 PM
Quote from: Lucifargundam on February 07, 2014, 02:51:36 AM

Those of us running Steam on Windows are already at risk of that. Same thing with each time you access your e-mail. If you're particularly paranoid about these kinds of things I recommend making sure your credit card info isn't saved anywhere.

Since it's Linux-based, I'm guessing it might either be Firefox or Chromium. As for security, I assume you can enter CLIs to set up security for your SteamOS, pretty much how you would do for a regular Linux box. There's a lot of guides out there that can help you with the latter.

For you credit card info, I'm just going to assume that your password must be really really unconventional. Otherwise you'll have a bad time if you do get compromised. Normally I don't save my credit card info when I buy stuffs as a security measure.

Twitter: @limDsage
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/sicse7en
Youtube gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/limDsage
PSN: sicse7en

Lucifargundam

Quote from: limDsage on February 10, 2014, 05:18:35 PM
For you credit card info, I'm just going to assume that your password must be really really unconventional. Otherwise you'll have a bad time if you do get compromised. Normally I don't save my credit card info when I buy stuffs as a security measure.
I try to buy prepaids as much as possible as a precaution... I'm just worried about any vulnerabilities the OS might have... :/  We shall see... We shall see...

richiescott

I'll buy depending on the price.
After experiencing the sudden malfunction of that heavy vehicle, us construction company handles would definitely need an alternative *Link Removed* just to keep on schedule.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: richiescott on April 07, 2014, 07:22:59 PM
I'll buy depending on the price.
Any specific models in mind?

Gatsby

Even though my baby is almost 5 years old, she still handles any game on the market at max settings (I have upgraded the gfx card over the years). There's no major incentive for me to get a gaming rig, however I feel it's a nice competitive edge to consoles and for those who don't have the know how to build their own gaming pc. The different models are nice too since it gives an option for the type of games you play.