Hotel Logistics Information

Started by FanFicGuru, January 30, 2014, 03:39:15 PM

FanFicGuru

Howdy everyone! Now, Fanime is just around the corner here's a quick reference guide to checking into a hotel. After all, this might be your first time checking into a hotel room, you just turned 18 (good for you!) and you want to make sure you don't look stupid.

In any case, here's a step by step with a small disclaimer: while most Hotels follow a generally universal mode of check in, there may be some minor exceptions. However, if you follow these general rules and come across an exception simply thank the person at the desk for clarifying or pointing that out to you, or you can ask for a specific clarification as you approach the desk.

One important thing before we start the list: YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD TO CHECK IN TO A HOTEL ROOM. Notes from mom won't cut it. Mom could check you into the hotel room, or a fellow roommate who is 18 or over, but don't expect to check in if you are by yourself or with a group of minors all between 15 and 17 years old. I'm sure some people will respond with "I've done it before!" but keep in mind the rule, not the exceptions.

Anyways, here it is:

Step 1) Arrival time at the hotel- Hotels generally have an accepted check in time, anywhere between 3 PM and 5 PM on your "check-in" date. However, these are not always set in stone. You can call ahead to your hotel and sometimes they'll let you in as early as 10 AM or perhaps earlier (depending on the situation). In any case, it's always good to ask and if the front desk tells you that they can't check you in until 3 PM or whatever, thank them for their time and plan on checking in then.

Step 2) Approach the desk with 1) your Government issued-ID (Student ID's will NOT cut it. No joke. It might work with Fanime registration staff, but Hotels will not budge on the government issued ID thing),  2) Credit or debit card that you reserved the room with EDIT: It has come to my attention that certain hotels don't necessarily need the card you reserved the room with and it should be noted that possessing the card you held the room with is highly recommended in this guide, but not necessarily a requirement based on your hotel. Thanks. and 3) if necessary, the credit or debit card that you are going to use to pay for the room (if different from the card used to reserve it). This part is VERY IMPORTANT especially if you had your mom or dad use their card to hold the room. The front desk will at least need to see the card that was used to hold the room upon check in. Again, they don't necessarily HAVE to charge that specific card (in case you want to put it on another credit card instead), but the card that was used to hold the room needs to be present.

Additionally, make sure that you tell them which card is which BEFORE you set them down on the counter/hand them over. One year I set down both of my cards and the woman at the desk swiped the first card (the one I held the room with but didn't want to pay with) and I said "Just to clarify that's the room I reserved with, I want to pay with this other card." At which time she cancelled the charge on my initial card and swiped the second card. However, the pending charge for the room + deposit stayed on my account all weekend and I was out ~500 dollars until Tuesday, long after Fanime was over. In any case, make sure that the charge is put only on the card you intend to pay with, as pending charges and working with banks over Memorial Day weekend can be a real hassle.

3) After the person at the desk swipes the card you are paying with and the charge goes through successfully, they will begin processing your room keys. It is at this point that you should ask for additional room keys, say if you have 4 people in your room, you would want 4 keys. It is typically not in good Hotel form to issue out more than 4 keys, since there should not be more than 4 people in your average hotel room. So, if you have a setup where there are 8-10 people in a room, do NOT ask for 8-10 keys at the front desk. This will immediately cast suspicion on you and whoever else is in your room with you. Also, and this has been mentioned many times before, it is also a fire hazard and a bad reflection on convention attendees as a whole when you play stuff a bunch of people into a room like a can of sardines. Anyways, back on topic, if you have a suite you may be able to ask for up to 6 keys, I'm not entirely sure their policy on that...but if you are in a regular double-double or King room, 4 keys will be your maximum.

4) Upon receiving your keys and room number, you can use this time to ask any last minute questions regarding amenities such as pool hours, internet charges, room service, etc. If you have nothing more to say, grab your luggage and head up to your room!

That's it! You've checked into a hotel room and are ready to enjoy Fanime.

Some final clarifications:

Check-out date: Your check out time is typically 11 AM-noon on the day of your check-out. You can request up to an additional 2 hours usually without incurring any additional charges. If you are leaving later in the day, the front desk can hold your luggage for you while you finish walking around the convention.

Deposits : There has been some debate on this as far as how much, at which hotels and if they happen at all. Here's my general rule: expect that your hotel will charge you $50 a night for incidentals on top of your total bill upon check in. Therefore if you are staying for 3 nights and your cost for the weekend is $300, be prepared to have $450 charged to whatever card you are checking in with. Some estimates put the nightly deposit rate at $100, but I don't want to cause undue panic if this isn't the case. $50, however, is the charge that I am familiar with and have paid for the last 4 years of my attendance. This "deposit" fee is posted to your account as an "authorization" charge, and will tie up the funds for the weekend, so be prepared for that. If you don't trash the room (stained floors/sheets, broken stuff, etc.) you will receive this deposit back in full within 1-3 business days of checking out.

Well that's it! I hope you all have a great Fanime.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

kongrave

Thanks for this post! It will be my first time staying at a hotel without someone else older than me to take care of the work and this thread is very helpful.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: kongrave on January 30, 2014, 06:43:12 PM
Thanks for this post! It will be my first time staying at a hotel without someone else older than me to take care of the work and this thread is very helpful.

I'm glad I can help! Even though I don't go to Fanime anymore I like providing information to people. :D
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015