When is SWAP Meet reg?

Started by bsan89, February 12, 2014, 11:49:25 PM

bsan89

As title say, any idea when reg for swap meet is?

Hachimitsu

I strongly advise to keep an eye on twitter / facebook. They often tell when swap meet is open! The goodnews is that swapmeet's space is HUge and i am happy they are located on the 24/7 food mart region.

here are he previous years of swap meet

2013 - 5/13
2012 - 5/12
sadly i cannot remember 2011 becuase it was before 5/1
so somewhere in aprill

but please note these are just previous years.. most of the time its always going to fall between may and April!'

warbearer

Is that the same place as last year? What will they use the huge space after swap meet is over?

Decantus

Quote from: warbearer on February 14, 2014, 09:16:17 AM
Is that the same place as last year? What will they use the huge space after swap meet is over?

Unfortunately no, we are looking into a couple of places for Swap meet.  There will be more information on our location soon.

As for registration, I am currently working with our webmaster to get that up and running.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

swapmeet <at> fanime dot com

Black_Convoy

Cool!  Hope we can manage some advance notice here. This is the one event I really don't want to miss!

Hachimitsu

AWEEEE but I loved the one that was next to the good court T_T!.. i get to just get up and walk near the nearest ramune shop XD!..
awe T_T!...
it was also big enough to fit alot of people inside T_T!

Admiral Donuts

Wherever it is, please allow the set-up time again.

Decantus

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on February 19, 2014, 11:08:42 PM
Wherever it is, please allow the set-up time again.

With the new way that we were doing space registration last year, we were able to get people processed in time to setup.  We're going to keep that system since it made check in sooooooooooo much easier.

Not going to say too much yet, but we're looking at ways to allow sellers to get into their spots on Friday without having to wait through the insane pre-reg line for their badges.  More on that coming soon.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Decantus on February 20, 2014, 09:09:12 AM
We're going to keep that system since it made check in sooooooooooo much easier.

Not going to say too much yet, but we're looking at ways to allow sellers to get into their spots on Friday without having to wait through the insane pre-reg line for their badges.  More on that coming soon.

That would help a lot. I remember the blackout year where this rule for having  a badge to sell kinda ruined the experience on fanime! Got the badge, sadly i lost a spot -_-!*

Decantus

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on February 20, 2014, 09:57:34 AM
Quote from: Decantus on February 20, 2014, 09:09:12 AM
We're going to keep that system since it made check in sooooooooooo much easier.

That would help a lot. I remember the blackout year where this rule for having  a badge to sell kinda ruined the experience on fanime! Got the badge, sadly i lost a spot -_-!*

The Blackout was the worst for us as well.  You are still going to need to have your badge on Friday, but Thursday is un-badged.  Our new space organization system is much better than it was that year to avoid giving away other people spaces. 
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

kookiekween99

So say I'm in a group, but my boyfriend is group leader. Would I be able to sell in Swap Meet on Thursday while he braves the line and picks up my group's badges? Also, are staff members allowed to participate in Swap Meet? (Asking for my friend in Info Desk)
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Hachimitsu

Quote from: kookiekween99 on February 21, 2014, 05:00:31 PM
So say I'm in a group, but my boyfriend is group leader. Would I be able to sell in Swap Meet on Thursday while he braves the line and picks up my group's badges? Also, are staff members allowed to participate in Swap Meet? (Asking for my friend in Info Desk)

Staff members are not allowed to particpate on swap meet, They are only allowed to help out!.
Learned this the hard way when trying to apply

kookiekween99

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on February 25, 2014, 10:03:34 AM
Quote from: kookiekween99 on February 21, 2014, 05:00:31 PM

Staff members are not allowed to particpate on swap meet, They are only allowed to help out!.
Learned this the hard way when trying to apply

Help out? So theoretically, I (a lowly attendee) could have the space in my name, but still have my staffly friend sell in the space with me?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Admiral Donuts

I'm pretty sure I saw the guy who registered us selling by himself... though I guess the space not have been in his name.

Decantus

Okay, so a few questions since I've been afk.

Staff selling at Swapmeet:
I will get clarification on if this is something that we just don't allow or if we need to do staff registration differently.  I'm going to have to find this out from people higher up than me, if it was up to me though, I would just require a "Staff: Yes/No" field be in the sign-up process.  Unless you're Swapmeet Staff... then you're MY minions and no fun for you!

Group Leader getting badges:
First off: only 2 people allowed in a space.  It's been like this for years and people seem to always want to fight about it.  We are not budging on this.
Secondly:  If someone is going to come in later, make sure that who ever is going to be in the reg line AT SWAPMEET is the primary on the sign-up.  We will not be letting people sign in for other people.  If you are going to be at swap meet first, but he is going to be getting badges, make sure that you're the one that is the primary for Day Zero Swapmeet.  He can be the Primary for Day One if you would prefer that.

I'll get some clarification on Staff selling rules though so check back soon.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

jen_kat

Quote from: Decantus on February 25, 2014, 06:09:45 PM
I will get clarification on if this is something that we just don't allow or if we need to do staff registration differently.  I'm going to have to find this out from people higher up than me, if it was up to me though, I would just require a "Staff: Yes/No" field be in the sign-up process.  Unless you're Swapmeet Staff... then you're MY minions and no fun for you!

I've been on staff for the past 4 years, and I've also participated in swap meet 3 of the 4 years. I signed up just like everyone else did, waited for online pre-registration to go up, waited in line for pre-reg check-in. I never had a problem before, I think I might have had to get my div/dept head to okay my participation though? (My memory's a little hazy, so I can't quite remember on this particular detail.) The swap meet staff also check my badge and form, so if there was a problem with me participating as a swap meet seller, they would have let me know at that time.

Hachimitsu

that's weird O_o!..
the last time i tried to apply for swap meet, some of the head staff said i wasn't allowed at all! same goes wth artist alley! SO this caused me to gave up on applying for staff and just focus on myself only! Not sure how you guys do it!

Decantus

Quote from: jen_kat on February 27, 2014, 01:38:37 AM
Quote from: Decantus on February 25, 2014, 06:09:45 PM

I've been on staff for the past 4 years, and I've also participated in swap meet 3 of the 4 years. I signed up just like everyone else did, waited for online pre-registration to go up, waited in line for pre-reg check-in. I never had a problem before, I think I might have had to get my div/dept head to okay my participation though? (My memory's a little hazy, so I can't quite remember on this particular detail.) The swap meet staff also check my badge and form, so if there was a problem with me participating as a swap meet seller, they would have let me know at that time.

I looked into this a bit more.  There was an announcement made last year at the Fanime Staff meetings before Con where it was stated that you need to get your Department Head/Division Head's approval to sell at swap meet.  The same goes for this year.  There will be more announcements about this at the Staff Meetings, so be sure to attend if this is something that you need information about.

As for why you weren't allowed, I don't really know what to tell you, I've been the one doing Reg for the last 2 years and we have had Staff sell before.  If you weren't approved for selling at Swapmeet by your Dept. or Div. Head, you might want to ask them.

At the end of the day, Staffing for Fanime is supposed to be about throwing the best darn Anime Convention in the world.  Fanime is By fans, For fans; this is our creed.  It's not supposed to be about getting a free badge and making money, talk to the Dealer's hall if you wanna go that route.

I will try to make all of this information clear at the Staff Meetings, and all further staff related questions will be answered there.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head