Clockwork Alchemy: Is this where my Fanime money is going?

Started by InsaneChan, February 22, 2014, 01:06:51 AM

YiShu

I agree that Fanime or Clockwork needs to have someone respond and clearly say if Clockwork is an expense on Fanime and or draining them of resources.  If Clockwork Alchemy is a drain then it was a nice try but time to go. 

The DoubleTree was not even a quarter full before Clockwork started using it, I know that in talking with some of the Clockwork Staff that they spend there own money out of pocket to bring things to the con and dont have much money for guests so I doubt that its costing Fanime much if they are paying.  I went to the clockwork hiss and purr last year and they had enough attendees that they are probably making more money for Fanime than they are costing.

I dont like that people are saying things like Fanime was here first.  I had to listen to my older brothers friends say the same thing about how Fanime was trying to kill baycon and how they were here first and Fanime should find a new weekend.  If Clockwork is not hurting Fanime financially or taking up all there time then they are defiantly helping it.   

They should speak up and tell us so we know and can stop worrying if we dont need to.

echoshadow

Guess you where not there at the feedback panel at the end of Fanime. The board of directors answered the same exact questions.

It may not be word for word but the gist is this.
What they said, Clockwork Alchemy has it's own staff, finances, etc. What Fanime does share is it's web support and it's promotion.

So there you have it. That is at lest what they told the people at the room.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

InsaneChan

Quote from: echoshadow on March 04, 2014, 10:48:10 PM
Guess you where not there at the feedback panel at the end of Fanime. The board of directors answered the same exact questions.

What they said, Clockwork Alchemy has it's own staff, finances, etc. What Fanime does share is it's web support and it's promotion.

I sort of have a difficult time believing that what they said is %100 true. So if they have their own finances, those finances come from table renting. I'm curious if that is enough to cover an entire con/web support/etc.
Love. Life. fANIME.

heeroyuy135

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone involved in both Fanime and Clockwork came together to answer questions and straighten things out? I wonder...

CatToy

Quote from: echoshadow on March 04, 2014, 10:48:10 PM

If that's true, then the sharing of web support is pretty uneven, don'cha think?

dfens

Probably going to get some flak for my posting and the some people will say since I heard it form a 3rd party and not from something I learned personally but I know the source and the answers actually sound totally believable.

I have a friend who volunteers for Fanime and has done so for many years, they aren't some low level position, they have access to things that your average person who works a line or as a rover etc don't have privy too. Now I don't want to give out their name since I don't want to put them on the spot but I've asked them these same questions during a dinner discussion when the subject of last years Fanime came up and they responded to some of the complaints that were voiced.

Yes Clockwork Alchemy is taking money from Fanime, if they tell you otherwise they just don't want to admit it or they are telling a boldface lie. You see they take some of the money from Fanime to use for whatever they need it for. As for what specifically I didn't ask in detail. How much money? They didn't say I didn't press the issue.

Which has the result that someones budget for this or that is now smaller. Example the person told me that their music guest budget is only so much as it is, and since they have to pay airfare round trip for the guest or guests, put them up in a hotel, and shuttle them around and feed them it costs a arm and a leg. Now with this other con, extra money meant for guests or whatever else is even less. So if things seem lacking or they could have booked a specific guest but didn't have enough funds then that guest can't appear or something else had to suffer.

Which brought up another question why are most of the guests pretty lame for such a big con. They just don't have the budget to pay for them to bring them from Japan and or scheduling issues with the said guest. That's why it's the same old same old US dub actors while such and such con gets this well know talent for their guest.

As for the registration cluster F*** last year the staff and people in charge know about it. This person told me this year they plan to hire professionals to do the registration, which I hope they follow through because waiting another 3 1/2 to 4 hours again to get my badge is BS. The time I wasted I could have worked more hours which I don't need to but could have been more comfortable at work then stuck in a never ending line to no where, to pay for a mailed badge or some more staff/better equipment. You think after doing the Con for so many years they would have it down and not screw things up, and know what works and doesn't works. All I know is that everyone I know and talked to said that if the lines continue to be just as bad this year and onward then we will just stop going to Fanime all together. And I think people flying in or who travel long distances will do the same. They better do something before they start to loose attendees. I know Japan Expo at least got the registration and line issues squared away their first year, as for the events, location, and things to see/do their is need for much improvement.

The final thing which confirmed my suspicions about why the Steam Punk Con? As a person who pays for a Anime Con I want to attend a Anime Con. Not this or that whatever scene/theme, or whatever else they try to force in to get people through the door. So why the change and addition of Clockwork Alchemy a Steam Punk Con?

I'll tell you some of the people involved where also upset but couldn't do anything about it. You see who ever is the big shot in charge at the very top for Fanime wanted to put on his resume that he ran 2 cons at the same time. And to hell if put a strain on the Con that has being going on for more than a decade and is the primary bread winner that attracts all the attendees. So nothing more than the sole benefit for one individual vs the attendees in general.

It was hilarious that they had a off site registration for the Clockwork Alchemy which was also valid for Fanime, where the line was 15-20 minutes but at the Fairmont it was a average of 3-6 stinking hours. Oh it was a short line offsite by the airport because almost no one knew about it, so some got lucky while the majority of people where screwed.

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: dfens on March 06, 2014, 05:07:40 PM
Yes Clockwork Alchemy is taking money from Fanime, if they tell you otherwise they just don't want to admit it or they are telling a boldface lie. You see they take some of the money from Fanime to use for whatever they need it for. As for what specifically I didn't ask in detail. How much money? They didn't say I didn't press the issue.

So no specifics or even a ball park number?  That's convenient...  So we still know next to nothing as far as that's concerned.

As for the registration cluster F*** last year the staff and people in charge know about it. This person told me this year they plan to hire professionals to do the registration, which I hope they follow through because waiting another 3 1/2 to 4 hours again to get my badge is BS. The time I wasted I could have worked more hours which I don't need to but could have been more comfortable at work then stuck in a never ending line to no where, to pay for a mailed badge or some more staff/better equipment. You think after doing the Con for so many years they would have it down and not screw things up, and know what works and doesn't works. All I know is that everyone I know and talked to said that if the lines continue to be just as bad this year and onward then we will just stop going to Fanime all together. And I think people flying in or who travel long distances will do the same. They better do something before they start to loose attendees. I know Japan Expo at least got the registration and line issues squared away their first year, as for the events, location, and things to see/do their is need for much improvement.

I really hope they actually do this.  Though registration is back at the CC and things should be better, manpower is definitely needed as well.  If they are serious about improving the registration lines (like they keep claiming while being very tight-lipped about any actual solutions), then hopefully we'll see that with bringing these people on board.  It would help ease the congestion, and help to ensure people don't get grumpy before things even start.

The final thing which confirmed my suspicions about why the Steam Punk Con? As a person who pays for a Anime Con I want to attend a Anime Con. Not this or that whatever scene/theme, or whatever else they try to force in to get people through the door. So why the change and addition of Clockwork Alchemy a Steam Punk Con?

I'll tell you some of the people involved where also upset but couldn't do anything about it. You see who ever is the big shot in charge at the very top for Fanime wanted to put on his resume that he ran 2 cons at the same time. And to hell if put a strain on the Con that has being going on for more than a decade and is the primary bread winner that attracts all the attendees. So nothing more than the sole benefit for one individual vs the attendees in general.

It was hilarious that they had a off site registration for the Clockwork Alchemy which was also valid for Fanime, where the line was 15-20 minutes but at the Fairmont it was a average of 3-6 stinking hours. Oh it was a short line offsite by the airport because almost no one knew about it, so some got lucky while the majority of people where screwed.

If that's true about the main organizer simply wanting two cons on his resume, that's a bit dumb.  While I can understand wanting more on there, doesn't running one con well for decades look a lot better than trying to run two, and both stumbling in the process?  I'm a bit skeptical about if this is true, but if it is, it just seems like a bad reason to bring another con into the mix.

And yeah, I heard about the speediness of the Clockwork line during the weekend.  It really irritated me to say the least, especially after enduring the Fanime line for hours.  I guess if you were going to Clockwork or thought outside the box you were fortunate enough to get your registration early, but otherwise you were SOL.

kookiekween99

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on March 06, 2014, 05:54:23 PMIf that's true about the main organizer simply wanting two cons on his resume, that's a bit dumb.  While I can understand wanting more on there, doesn't running one con well for decades look a lot better than trying to run two, and both stumbling in the process?  I'm a bit skeptical about if this is true, but if it is, it just seems like a bad reason to bring another con into the mix.

Fanime's chair team changes every three years to try and keep things fresh. CA was the current chair's brainchild. This is his third year though, so next year Fanime will be under new management.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Kahluah

Quote from: kookiekween99 on March 06, 2014, 10:19:36 PM
Fanime's chair team changes every three years to try and keep things fresh. CA was the current chair's brainchild. This is his third year though, so next year Fanime will be under new management.

we can only hope next years management will do a far better one than this one has been doing. While clockwork does sound like a nice idea I always wondered why they kept helping out with it if they were unable to essentially run two cons at once. If it really is true that the one guy just wanted a better looking resume that really sucks because even if the new management is as displeased with this ordeal as we are they may be unable to due much since many people attend both cons and such.

megamanjoe415

Hello and good day,

After reading all of the comments and posts, all these suggestions and issues with both Fanime and CA I agree with you all. CA should have a seperate date/days coinciding with Fanime and for some people anime is more important than steampunk, and vise-versa. This year there is a choice to pickup your badges.  Registration is not at the Fairmont, and communication between staff and con goers are at most important.

I have been going to Fanime since 2006. I am at most disappointed on how the website is going this year. This has been the latest I have ever seen. In 08/09 the website would be up in a few months, and as early as august.

I have tried to talk to people in staff and they don't know whats going on. CA has their website up and running: this is unfair to the Fanime con goers. Here is my question: why should we be forced to buy a badge for both cons, when people only want to go to one of them? I have friends who cosplay all the time at Fanime, some who have their own AA or even photo shoot. Fanime will always be known for being the largest Anime Con in the Northern California/Silicon Valley region, so why try something different that is currently hurting the con?

If someone who agrees to my message as a supporter to Fanime, you may quote me, message me, or hate/like me. But I will not stand to see Fanime go down all of these years.

Anime_Files

CatToy

Fanime's website has 5 buttons now! That's a 250% increase! :D

M

Locking this post so I can reply. I'll unlock it after I'm done replying.

[Edit: Unlocking now. For real this time.]

Going to make comments on random things here and there on dfens post. I'm hoping that these will squish some of the rumors going around and each and every one of you is free to always send me a PM.

- dfens post is largely incorrect. FanimeCon and Clockwork Alchemy each have their own budgeting and Clockwork Alchemy doesn't "take" any money from FanimeCon's budget. This wouldn't be a smart move as an ever growing convention such as FanimeCon usually needs more money, not less.
- The guests being "lame" is a separate issue that has been covered many times. There is simply no way of getting the "perfect" guests for each of our attendees, which is why we constantly make posts and reach out to attendees to see what type of guests they would like. Our GR team then uses that + market trends to get guests that we hope would be amazing enough for you guys to enjoy them. Keep in mind that although it happens, it's less common for people to comment when a guest is good than bad.
- No one on staff has ever denied that the registration issues were bad. I, myself, have commented many times that they were bad and that our registration staff has been spending this entire planning year on working on them. The current goal right now is to post a "what's new" on Registration so people can be familiar with the new space that it's moving into (as well as how the line flow will work).
- The comment about the FanimeCon convention chair wanting to put that "he ran 2 cons at the same time" is laughable as Clockwork Alchemy has their own set of convention staffers (including chair) and most of us don't work in industries where our convention experience is relevant enough to put on our resumes (although in all fairness, it's always a bit of a cool thing to bring up ;)).
- FanimeCon and Clockwork Alchemy do share the same registration backend. The Clockwork Alchemy registration was more of a soft test to see if it would work. If we had 25% of the people at the Fairmont over there and something massive happened, we would have been screwed. We know now what ended up happening at the Fairmont after the fact.

- The website launch is super late this year. I know it, the webteam knows, it, you know it, everyone else knows it. We're really close to launching with a *ton* of information. There's no real excuse for ever being late and it being under my division, I take blame.

Quote from: megamanjoe415 on March 08, 2014, 03:47:00 PMI have tried to talk to people in staff and they don't know whats going on.
You know that you can talk to me right? I've said this to you many times. We try to keep our staff from posting unconfirmed information since it often ends up being misquoted incorrectly (or as a "my friend works as a staffer and said this" post, which also happens way too often).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Admiral Donuts

I'm glad someone came in to address these concerns in an official capacity.

I think that most of the beef people have with FanimeCon staff comes from a lack of transparency and information more than anything. I remember post-2013 FanimeCon people asking couldn't even get attendance numbers when they asked staff.

For example; badge pick-up at Clockwork vs. at FanimeCon. It was presented on the website in such a way that you could pick up a FanimeCon badge (as in, one with FanimeCon artwork) at Clockwork, you just had to select the right boxes. However, when the question came up in the forums, it turns out this wasn't the case. That's the kind of info that should be on the reg page itself. Let's not go into the whole "This year you require a badge for hotel registration" debacle that ensued.

Quoteour registration staff has been spending this entire planning year on working on them
What have they been working on? We were told the same thing last year and the only change I saw was pre-reg badges now have stickers on them.

QuoteWe're really close to launching with a *ton* of information. There's no real excuse for ever being late and it being under my division, I take blame.
What's "close?" A week? A month? The registration FAQ went up on Feburary 3rd and says "FanimeCon's Pre-Registration from the last day of FanimeCon 2013 accounts will be loaded into the server soon."

Nobody's expecting miracles or a behind-the-scenes tour of what it takes to run FanimeCon, all I think people want is a little acknowledgement and some less vague answers.

InsaneChan

Quote from: MPLe on March 09, 2014, 12:56:09 PM
Locking this post so I can reply. I'll unlock it after I'm done replying.

[Edit: Unlocking now. For real this time.]

Going to make comments on random things here and there on dfens post. I'm hoping that these will squish some of the rumors going around and each and every one of you is free to always send me a PM.

- dfens post is largely incorrect. FanimeCon and Clockwork Alchemy each have their own budgeting and Clockwork Alchemy doesn't "take" any money from FanimeCon's budget. This wouldn't be a smart move as an ever growing convention such as FanimeCon usually needs more money, not less.
- The guests being "lame" is a separate issue that has been covered many times. There is simply no way of getting the "perfect" guests for each of our attendees, which is why we constantly make posts and reach out to attendees to see what type of guests they would like. Our GR team then uses that + market trends to get guests that we hope would be amazing enough for you guys to enjoy them. Keep in mind that although it happens, it's less common for people to comment when a guest is good than bad.
- No one on staff has ever denied that the registration issues were bad. I, myself, have commented many times that they were bad and that our registration staff has been spending this entire planning year on working on them. The current goal right now is to post a "what's new" on Registration so people can be familiar with the new space that it's moving into (as well as how the line flow will work).
- The comment about the FanimeCon convention chair wanting to put that "he ran 2 cons at the same time" is laughable as Clockwork Alchemy has their own set of convention staffers (including chair) and most of us don't work in industries where our convention experience is relevant enough to put on our resumes (although in all fairness, it's always a bit of a cool thing to bring up ;)).
- FanimeCon and Clockwork Alchemy do share the same registration backend. The Clockwork Alchemy registration was more of a soft test to see if it would work. If we had 25% of the people at the Fairmont over there and something massive happened, we would have been screwed. We know now what ended up happening at the Fairmont after the fact.

- The website launch is super late this year. I know it, the webteam knows, it, you know it, everyone else knows it. We're really close to launching with a *ton* of information. There's no real excuse for ever being late and it being under my division, I take blame.

Thank you for coming to address these concerns directly and regaining Fanime some face!

To address the issue with "lame" guests, I was most excited in the last three years for Flow, Yuya Matsushita, and 7!!Oops. However, before then, Fanime had even more fantastic guests for all people. Still, while I understand it's not possible to please everyone, I think Fanime needs to look to Sakuracon and AX for examples. Sakura-con has just confirmed a large number of guests from the Attack on Titan anime. I don't think they necessarily waited for people to tell them this, it was just common sense. Knowing the current trends is part of booking guests. AX does the same thing. They've had guests from Crypton Media (Hatsune Miku) and other popular industries/anime/bands because they know these guests would please the fans, without having to ask the fans. I know this sounds crazy, but it works!

About the website not being up-there really does just in general need to be more communication about these sorts of things. It really is unacceptable to keep fans who are putting down so much money in the dark, and causes unnecessary anxiety. The fact that Fanime has not communicated to the fans at all about it until just now is extremely unprofessional, and such a thing is largely damaging Fanime's credibility. A convention as large and seasoned as Fanime should know better.

Now this is just my own curiosity, and I know it's not the norm for a con to release such information, but I really am curious about how Clockwork receives their money to operate then? If they're not taking money from Fanime registration, how can they afford to run their convention? Even with table fee's accounted for, it still seems a bit unnerving.

Love. Life. fANIME.

Kraken

[Edit by MPLe: I am confirming that this is who he says he is. I won't be able to get to responses until tomorrow evening.]

Hi I am the current Chair of Clockwork Alchemy.

MPLe has helped to clear many of misconceptions and rumors regarding FanimeCon and Clockwork Alchemy.  I will attempt to do the same for the question asked directly about Clockwork Alchemy. 

QuoteI really am curious about how Clockwork receives their money to operate then? If they're not taking money from FanimeCon registration, how can they afford to run their convention? Even with table fee's accounted for, it still seems a bit unnerving.

Our small budget is not coming from your registration for FanimeCon.  The bay area has a relatively large Steampunk community and it is from that community that we staff our convention and get the vast majority of the fans that register specifically for Clockwork Alchemy.   Clockwork Alchemy gets its funds from these registrations, from table fees as you mentioned, and even from our own pockets as we endeavor to put on the best event we can.  Relative to FanimeCon we have a much smaller attendance and as such we also have a much much smaller budget. 

FanimeCon has given us infrastructure to use but it was existing things like space on a server, access to a registration system and yes advice when we ask.  Something we are infinitely grateful for.  It was our responsibility to staff it and use these resources.  In return we are happy that we can offer, for those who want it, an opportunity to come and enjoy the events at Clockwork Alchemy. 

I hope that we add something for FanimeCon attendees as having the opportunity to share what we love has been an amazing experience.  I spent 10 years on FanimeCon staff before Clockwork Alchemy and was happy to introduced the Steampunk community to FanimeCon several years ago when I learned that Steampunk was the theme. Something we did then without using any of FanimeCons budget as well, even with the live performance.  ;)

I hope that I have helped clear up any misconceptions.   

kookiekween99

Quote from: Kraken on March 09, 2014, 11:09:56 PM
[Edit by MPLe: I am confirming that this is who he says he is. I won't be able to get to responses until tomorrow evening.]

Hi I am the current Chair of Clockwork Alchemy.

MPLe has helped to clear many of misconceptions and rumors regarding FanimeCon and Clockwork Alchemy.  I will attempt to do the same for the question asked directly about Clockwork Alchemy. 

QuoteI really am curious about how Clockwork receives their money to operate then? If they're not taking money from FanimeCon registration, how can they afford to run their convention? Even with table fee's accounted for, it still seems a bit unnerving.

Our small budget is not coming from your registration for FanimeCon.  The bay area has a relatively large Steampunk community and it is from that community that we staff our convention and get the vast majority of the fans that register specifically for Clockwork Alchemy.   Clockwork Alchemy gets its funds from these registrations, from table fees as you mentioned, and even from our own pockets as we endeavor to put on the best event we can.  Relative to FanimeCon we have a much smaller attendance and as such we also have a much much smaller budget. 

FanimeCon has given us infrastructure to use but it was existing things like space on a server, access to a registration system and yes advice when we ask.  Something we are infinitely grateful for.  It was our responsibility to staff it and use these resources.  In return we are happy that we can offer, for those who want it, an opportunity to come and enjoy the events at Clockwork Alchemy. 

I hope that we add something for FanimeCon attendees as having the opportunity to share what we love has been an amazing experience.  I spent 10 years on FanimeCon staff before Clockwork Alchemy and was happy to introduced the Steampunk community to FanimeCon several years ago when I learned that Steampunk was the theme. Something we did then without using any of FanimeCons budget as well, even with the live performance.  ;)

I hope that I have helped clear up any misconceptions.   

So in other words, selecting which con you're attending in online registration determines which con gets the money from us? That actually makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Also, I'm glad that we got a response from high-level staff from both cons.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

InsaneChan

Quote from: kookiekween99 on March 10, 2014, 08:08:04 PM

So in other words, selecting which con you're attending in online registration determines which con gets the money from us? That actually makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Also, I'm glad that we got a response from high-level staff from both cons.

Has it always been that way though? I don't remember 'choosing a con' being there until this year o_0
Love. Life. fANIME.

Kraken

QuoteHas it always been that way though? I don't remember 'choosing a con' being there until this year o_0

Yes it has been that way all three years.  In the previous two years if you followed the link from the FanimeCon site it defaulted for FanimeCon so maybe that is why you did not see it. 

Admiral Donuts

This is the first year they have it set up this way.

Edit: vvv Yeah, that's what I meant to say.

SquishyK

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on March 11, 2014, 06:09:01 AM
This is the first year they have it set up this way.
No, I know the option was definitely there last year. I even sent an email to CRM registration about it because I wanted to know if that would effect where I could pick up my badge.

This is however the first year that you could pick your convention (main reason for registering) AND intended pick up location.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"