Fanime Con 2014 Website

Started by Purelovely, February 24, 2014, 01:17:35 PM

megamanjoe415

I will never understand why this even had to be, I agree with everyone above. No other con does this, and all the cons I have been to, AnimeFx, AOD, KrakenCon, SanAnime, AX, etc. All post up their site at least 6 months in advanced.

echoshadow

Hopefully once the web site goes up then can start working on the schedule. Maybe this time we can have more than 3 days notice before the start of the con.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

InsaneChan

Quote from: echoshadow on March 14, 2014, 06:08:05 PM
Hopefully once the web site goes up then can start working on the schedule. Maybe this time we can have more than 3 days notice before the start of the con.

I don't really mind the schedule being last minute, as long as it's ready at least before Thursday of the con. Also, as long as they print paper schedules, I'll be good to go. Usually I spend Thursday night planning which panels/events/etc to attend anyways.

But now it's been over a week since the declaration that the site launch would be "soon." After 8 days, "soon" is becoming less relative. 9 weeks until the con and still no website? If it isn't up in the next 3 days, I'm officially calling it quits. I'm done. This is ridiculous. This is unfair to us. This is unfair to the guests of honor. No one giving the con as much money as I do (and have for the past 10 years), as everyone does, deserves this. AX has a site, they have guests announced, they don't make up lame excuses, they don't blame their lack of quality guests on the FANS, they have everything going for them. I'm attending AX from now on.

I am a person who likes to plan, and I hate the anxiety Fanime has inflicted upon everyone waiting for info for AA, the site, everything.
Love. Life. fANIME.

Gaki

Quote from: InsaneChan on March 17, 2014, 02:16:39 AM
I don't really mind the schedule being last minute, as long as it's ready at least before Thursday of the con. Also, as long as they print paper schedules, I'll be good to go. Usually I spend Thursday night planning which panels/events/etc to attend anyways.

This would be a good way to spend the time waiting in line for our badges. Day 0 has pretty much evolved to the point where I'm pretty much resigning myself to staying in line for the entire day and doing nothing interesting like the swap meet or anything else open that day. Might as well bring chairs and enough food to last an apocalypse so I'm not one of the people who faint or can be in a position to help the people who faint while dealing with this BS.

Quote from: InsaneChan on March 17, 2014, 02:16:39 AMBut now it's been over a week since the declaration that the site launch would be "soon." After 8 days, "soon" is becoming less relative. 9 weeks until the con and still no website? If it isn't up in the next 3 days, I'm officially calling it quits. I'm done. This is ridiculous. This is unfair to us. This is unfair to the guests of honor. No one giving the con as much money as I do (and have for the past 10 years), as everyone does, deserves this. AX has a site, they have guests announced, they don't make up lame excuses, they don't blame their lack of quality guests on the FANS, they have everything going for them. I'm attending AX from now on.

I am a person who likes to plan, and I hate the anxiety Fanime has inflicted upon everyone waiting for info for AA, the site, everything.

I'm in total agreement, and this just makes me sad. If the con is supposed to be by fans for fans, then fans would know enough to not put other fans through this hell. Guests should be set, the website should be set, so many other things should already be set up but they're just stagnating. AFAIK we don't even have a Guest of Honor set up yet for 2014. Meanwhile, I'm looking at Saboten, which is only in it's second year of operations, and they've already got a full guest list 5 months before the con even starts.

Pisses me off especially to hear rumors that some of the staffers are only 'staffing' because they're able to attend for free.

This is Fanime. This is one of the biggest cons on the West Coast. It should be setting an example for other cons, but instead it looks like a flat-out embarrassment to be loyal here. This is the 20th anniversary for the con - the last few years better not indicative of this year or I'm with you. This might be the last year I attend Fanime and stick closer to home with AX.
(Not) The Head of FMVs

Fanime FMV Contest Minion 2014
Fanime FMV Contest Second 2015
Fanime FMV Contest Minion Director 2016
Fanime FMV Contest Head 2017
Fanime FMV Contest Second 2018

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: InsaneChan on March 17, 2014, 02:16:39 AM

I am too, which is why I went so far as to build my own calendar for FanimeCon. Panels and Cosplay Gathering info is up on the forums before anything else so I can build around that, but not having access to the video programming schedule is what really keeps me from planning everything out in advance.

InsaneChan

Quote from: Gaki
I'm in total agreement, and this just makes me sad. If the con is supposed to be by fans for fans, then fans would know enough to not put other fans through this hell. Guests should be set, the website should be set, so many other things should already be set up but they're just stagnating. AFAIK we don't even have a Guest of Honor set up yet for 2014. Meanwhile, I'm looking at Saboten, which is only in it's second year of operations, and they've already got a full guest list 5 months before the con even starts.

Pisses me off especially to hear rumors that some of the staffers are only 'staffing' because they're able to attend for free.

This is Fanime. This is one of the biggest cons on the West Coast. It should be setting an example for other cons, but instead it looks like a flat-out embarrassment to be loyal here. This is the 20th anniversary for the con - the last few years better not indicative of this year or I'm with you. This might be the last year I attend Fanime and stick closer to home with AX.

I'm not surprised that's the case, and to be honest it doesn't bother me too much, as long as they do a decent job. But if not, then they don't deserve their positions, and Fanime's chair and department heads needs to step-in. Although, that's a completely different issue completely.

This whole situation is just a joke, honestly. I feel like I can't vent enough about how let-down I feel over this whole thing! Fanime has failed so far this year, and the only thing I can hope for is a decent con in two months (since they already have my entire group's reg money). But, next year, I'm already excited over all the extra money I'll have for AX instead. We'll see though.

Love. Life. fANIME.

heeroyuy135

Let me ask you all a question: is the days of "by fans, for fans" dead?

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on March 18, 2014, 10:41:02 AM

Well the con still hasn't incorporated (to my knowledge) like other large cons so it's not like anybody is getting paid (other than the lawyer.)

Some areas of the con feel far more "by fans, for fans" than others, Cosplay gatherings and the panels are what comes to mind. The people who take the time to organize and host an event like that are people I would call dedicated fans. Contrast that with Artist Alley this year, which seems to have shifted to a semi-pro format.

InsaneChan

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on March 18, 2014, 10:41:02 AM

Lately, there has just been a lot of issues with the staff and no one really knows what, but this tardiness is an indication of a serious problem. It's very frustrating.

One aspect of the con that never ceases to amaze me though is the game room. I don't know who's in charge of it, but they really do think of everything in there! 
Love. Life. fANIME.

megamanjoe415

Game room every year gets better and better. Wish they updated their arcade machines to the latest versions though...

Which other con in northern cali, allows a 24hr game room/video rooms??

Non that I know of...

Fanime: step up your game with this website and hurry, its almost less than 2 months away and its scary to hear that people may not come to fanime next year... I want to come back next year and many years after as a veteran of past fanimes...

Anime_Files

Admiral Donuts

I wish the game room could get some of the weird and obscure games from the arcade in SF's Japantown. I want to play the table flipping game again  :'(

Angelx624

That is ridiculous. You think AA staff would be as on-top of things as Dealer's Hall staff. But I guess that isn't the case, now is it?

But it's good to see that Dealer's Hall staff is doing good. Least not all of Fanime is completely falling apart, I guess. And I wish I could ditch Fanime next year for AX as well, but, AX is further away from me than Fanime, so it'd be more difficult to go there than to Fanime, but if Fanime slacks even more next year, I just might consider the switch...... I have been to AX once before a couple years back and the only downside was that some areas were overcrowded and the hotel distance, but that can't be helped, after all, and it's not really under AX staff's control. I actually didn't get a badge the year I went, and I still had a blast.

Yup. Seriously considering switching next year if this continues or gets worse.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

heeroyuy135

Quote from: Angelx624 on March 20, 2014, 09:49:08 PM
the only downside was that some areas were overcrowded and the hotel distance, but that can't be helped, after all, and it's not really under AX staff's control
Um, actually...it is, but it's a long story...

The huge issue that I have with Fanime versus AX that within everything Fanime has stayed relatively cheap. Two nights at the Marriott equals one night at the Westin or the JW Marriott. There's a number of cheap eateries within a couple of blocks at Fanime, but at AX the cheapest food is all the way in the downtown area and unless you want to shell out money for "gourmet" food trucks or whatever is at LA Live, expect some heavy walking just to find something decent.

If you me want to elaborate more, you know where to find me.

Angelx624

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on March 20, 2014, 10:51:45 PM
Quote from: Angelx624 on March 20, 2014, 09:49:08 PM
the only downside was that some areas were overcrowded and the hotel distance, but that can't be helped, after all, and it's not really under AX staff's control
Um, actually...it is, but it's a long story...

The huge issue that I have with Fanime versus AX that within everything Fanime has stayed relatively cheap. Two nights at the Marriott equals one night at the Westin or the JW Marriott. There's a number of cheap eateries within a couple of blocks at Fanime, but at AX the cheapest food is all the way in the downtown area and unless you want to shell out money for "gourmet" food trucks or whatever is at LA Live, expect some heavy walking just to find something decent.

If you me want to elaborate more, you know where to find me.
Ya, good point. I guess since I was with a group most of the time, I didn't quite have to venture out for food.

Well, like I said, it really depends on this year's Fanime and how the staff handle things at the beginning of next year. Heck, I kinda wish I could just skip this year and save for PMC, but I already submitted panels and such.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

eemychann

It's still not possible for industry people to even attempt to register to attend the convention.

Hope you weren't expecting any panels?

pinknekophiliac

The game room is one of the 3 main reasons I go to fanime... but I will say that for the past 3 years or so I've been missing my favorite games to play at fanime... don't know if that's just because no one's bringing them or maybe they're not as popular with others as they are with me... but I used to love playing Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and Soul Calibur in the game room till the break of dawn but as I said, for the past 3 years I've not seen any of them! :(. Whyyyy? I saw Soul Calibur 2 last year and that was it. Why no more Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

Just a suggestion for whoever runs the game room, I and at least those I know would really love to see some Guitar Hero and Rock Band back in the game room :).

keitoghostie

If you make a thread in this section of the forum (link), representatives from gaming are generally able to acknowledge your requests!

CatToy

Quote from: eemychann on March 23, 2014, 01:29:09 PM
It's still not possible for industry people to even attempt to register to attend the convention.

Hope you weren't expecting any panels?

They're expecting fans to run panels. They're offering comp badges if you do enough of them.

ByFansForFans - because professionals won't put up with this nonsense.

InsaneChan

I am so done with Fanime. Unless they have an amazing guest list,  I am just attending for the dealer's hall at this point. 8 weeks until the con and no site, and 2 weeks since they promised us the site would be up "soon". I wish I could file an official complaint in this type of situation, because people are angry and people are demanding answers that they're not getting, while Fanime is holding onto their hard-earned money. 

Fanime, shame on you. This will be my final year. Good riddance.
Love. Life. fANIME.

sjamison1427

I feel that the site layout this year is definitely the worst that it has ever been. It's far too minimal and makes site navigation somewhat frustrating. I really enjoyed old site layouts where there were links to information about previous cons, detailed information on what Fanime has to offer, in addition to easy to navigate links.

I feel as though Fanime would be better off reverting to its old webpage layout for the time being, at least until they fully complete the new layout to their satisfaction.
Fanime 2014 Cosplays
========================
Watson - Sherlock Holmes
Ichigo  - Bleach
Zorro [lost a bet!]