Fanime Con 2014 Website

Started by Purelovely, February 24, 2014, 01:17:35 PM

Angelx624

At this point, I'm just going for gatherings and the two cosplay groups I'm in.

As well as hopefully running my panels, and maybe doing the Masquerade, if we can recruit the people we still need.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Purelovely

I've said this before and many others have as well but this is a major disappointment. It's disgraceful and VERY rude. I have never seen a convention of this size be run so poorly. This is the 20th anniversary, too. Other conventions that have heard of these issues must be shocked and possibly laughing.

If one reason stuff isn't getting done is because of staff shortage then COMMUNICATE that. There are lots of people here willing to work the con and they have expressed that.

It's been weeks since the website was supposed to be up "very soon." Here we are now with nothing...STILL!

Only reason I'm coming is to see my partner now. End of story.
Fanime Con 2018 Cosplay:
Fri: No cosplay
Sat: ??
Sun: No cosplay
Mon: No cosplay because I'm going to Disneyland!

MeloettaMeridian

I've tried to avoid replying to threads like these because I don't like feeling bitter, but I think it's time for me to say that I, too, am extremely disappointed that the website hasn't gone up yet and that the staff has generally been very disorganized. It's less than two months until the con! Very much unacceptable.

I'm definitely going to the con this year - already bought my badge, might as well enjoy myself as much as I possibly can. But like many others, I'm heavily considering not going to Fanime starting next year.

Am I the only one with a sneaking suspicion that Fanime 2014 is going to be cancelled at the last minute? Maybe that's taking it a step too far... I like to think that such a thing is impossible considering how large the con is, but with the staff being so disorganized this year in particular, I can't rule the possibility out...

CeruleanRogue

I'm gonna be blunt and agree with what others have said...

This.  Is.  Ridiculous.

Particularly in light of other conventions (AX, Summer SacAnime, etc.) already having their websites active and lists of guests who will be present.  Fanime?  Doesn't have jack.  All the news and attention appears to be here on the Forums.  The Facebook page hasn't had any activity since hotel reservations, Twitter is kinda quiet, the website is nigh-on nonexistent, and the staff is jerking us around again on when we can expect anything.

Seriously?  Step.  Up.  Your.  Game.  You are going to lose a lot of support if you keep this nonsense up.  And this comes from someone who normally doesn't get frustrated like this.

thepsynergist

Quote from: CeruleanRogue on March 24, 2014, 01:27:52 PM

This.  Is.  Ridiculous.

Particularly in light of other conventions (AX, Summer SacAnime, etc.) already having their websites active and lists of guests who will be present.  Fanime?  Doesn't have jack.  All the news and attention appears to be here on the Forums.  The Facebook page hasn't had any activity since hotel reservations, Twitter is kinda quiet, the website is nigh-on nonexistent, and the staff is jerking us around again on when we can expect anything.

Seriously?  Step.  Up.  Your.  Game.  You are going to lose a lot of support if you keep this nonsense up.  And this comes from someone who normally doesn't get frustrated like this.
Has anyone else noticed that the swimsuit girl on the website looks similar to the "troll face" meme?

keitoghostie

Quote from: eemychann on March 23, 2014, 01:29:09 PM
It's still not possible for industry people to even attempt to register to attend the convention.

What's weird is that professional registration is up but there's nothing about it anywhere on the splash page...

Purelovely

This.  Is.  Ridiculous.

I'm starting to think that they don't care about the fans at all.  :'( This whole situation is just awful. I've spent hundreds on plane tickets alone to come to this con. Sending e-mails, tweets, facebook messages doesn't do anything. It is scary to even fathom but it feels like Fanime may not even happen now.

At this point it would just be a big relief for someone from the con to say "Deeply sorry for the issues. We still exist and it's still going to happen."
Fanime Con 2018 Cosplay:

limDsage

My only concern at this point is still trying to figure out the guests and events that will take place on Fanime. With the lack of vital information, it seems like the only things I will be looking forward to would be a few gatherings I will be attending and the game room; mainly seeing if they will be hosting a fighting game tournament.

Hopefully we all get the info that we need, but not like on the last minute. I know it sucks for the people who are traveling from out of town and it would really be convenient for the rest so that they can organize their days accordingly.

J-Expo's first year last year was really on point: their website was constantly updated with guest, panels, and event info up until the day of the event. Here's to wishful thinking that Fanime gets it together next year. 

Twitter: @limDsage
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/sicse7en
Youtube gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/limDsage
PSN: sicse7en

smores

M'kay... this is going to be long.

I've been an attendee of Fanime (and Fanime exclusively until last year!) for 8 years. It's my home con. I love it. But I'll admit, the last 2 years with the registration problems, and then the slew of technical problems, staff problems, scheduling problems, etc that happened last year, I've come into this year wary about Fanime.

This website thing is pretty much cementing those wary feelings. Fanime staff, those responsible for the website, what is WRONG with you? The only response we've received thus far is a jesting "The fire under our butts just keeps us warm" complete with smiley winking face. Cute. I'm sorry, as people who are paying money to attend this con, we DESERVE a response and an explanation as to what the holdup is with the site. I know for a fact that the con won't be cancelled this year, but the fact that your lack of communication has driven people to feel concerned that that could happen is RIDICULOUS. I don't care if you're "By Fans For Fans", consist entirely of volunteers or whatever else. The fact of the matter is, you haven't sent out a single representative to explain what is going on with the website, when it'll be up, or even to reassure us that we're being listened to.

Do you realize that after last year's con, a nonexistent website 2 months prior to the con (and now more than 2 weeks after it was promised as coming "Very soon") is extremely unprofessional and is simply making all of us feel like the changes you promised after last year's giant mess aren't going to happen?  You're asking people to pay you unrefundable sums of money to attend a con you haven't told us ANYTHING about except the dates it'll occur on and where it'll be held. This is unacceptable.

And no, if you put up the site today or tomorrow, that isn't enough. We need a reason as to why we're being ignored. "By Fans, For Fans" doesn't mean anything if the voices of multitudes of fans saying the same thing is completely ignored and garners no response.

In this day and age, nothing excuses not having a website. Most cons have a website all year long, even if there's no current information referring to the upcoming con if it's too far in the future. Sakura-Con is 1 month away and already has 22 guests listed and an entire website that has been running for months and months in advance. AX's never went down. Sac-Anime's site is ready. There is no excuse for this, but we deserve a response.

I haven't bought my badge this year. I'm considering making someone's day and cancelling my hotel deposit and giving up on this con completely.

Purelovely

Quote from: smores on March 24, 2014, 04:04:03 PM
M'kay... this is going to be long.

I've been an attendee of Fanime (and Fanime exclusively until last year!) for 8 years. It's my home con. I love it. But I'll admit, the last 2 years with the registration problems, and then the slew of technical problems, staff problems, scheduling problems, etc that happened last year, I've come into this year wary about Fanime.

This website thing is pretty much cementing those wary feelings. Fanime staff, those responsible for the website, what is WRONG with you? The only response we've received thus far is a jesting "The fire under our butts just keeps us warm" complete with smiley winking face. Cute. I'm sorry, as people who are paying money to attend this con, we DESERVE a response and an explanation as to what the holdup is with the site. I know for a fact that the con won't be cancelled this year, but the fact that your lack of communication has driven people to feel concerned that that could happen is RIDICULOUS. I don't care if you're "By Fans For Fans", consist entirely of volunteers or whatever else. The fact of the matter is, you haven't sent out a single representative to explain what is going on with the website, when it'll be up, or even to reassure us that we're being listened to.

Do you realize that after last year's con, a nonexistent website 2 months prior to the con (and now more than 2 weeks after it was promised as coming "Very soon") is extremely unprofessional and is simply making all of us feel like the changes you promised after last year's giant mess aren't going to happen?  You're asking people to pay you unrefundable sums of money to attend a con you haven't told us ANYTHING about except the dates it'll occur on and where it'll be held. This is unacceptable.

And no, if you put up the site today or tomorrow, that isn't enough. We need a reason as to why we're being ignored. "By Fans, For Fans" doesn't mean anything if the voices of multitudes of fans saying the same thing is completely ignored and garners no response.

In this day and age, nothing excuses not having a website. Most cons have a website all year long, even if there's no current information referring to the upcoming con if it's too far in the future. Sakura-Con is 1 month away and already has 22 guests listed and an entire website that has been running for months and months in advance. AX's never went down. Sac-Anime's site is ready. There is no excuse for this, but we deserve a response.

I haven't bought my badge this year. I'm considering making someone's day and cancelling my hotel deposit and giving up on this con completely.

::standing ovation::
Wonderfully said. This is exactly how I feel but I've been too irritated to be able to phrase it this well.
Fanime Con 2018 Cosplay:

CeruleanRogue

I think what adds insult to injury here is Clockwork Alchemy's website is up and functional.  They have their announcements up, they have a guest announced (with more to come)...everything we want on Fanime's website.

So, Fanime...what's your excuse?

SquishyK

The Facebook page hasn't had any activity since hotel reservations, Twitter is kinda quiet, the website is nigh-on nonexistent,

Actually the Facebook page has updated on March 18th, 15th, 9th, and 1st. Most necessary applications for events are available or appear to be on the way. In fact the only NEW information pertinent to fanime 2014 that has not been posted yet is what guests to expect. Anything else can be extrapolated based on last year's fanime if you attended that.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

CeruleanRogue

Quote from: pitin on March 24, 2014, 05:13:46 PM
The Facebook page hasn't had any activity since hotel reservations, Twitter is kinda quiet, the website is nigh-on nonexistent,

Actually the Facebook page has updated on March 18th, 15th, 9th, and 1st. Most necessary applications for events are available or appear to be on the way. In fact the only NEW information pertinent to fanime 2014 that has not been posted yet is what guests to expect. Anything else can be extrapolated based on last year's fanime if you attended that.

I will grant you that.  Facebook is really wonky for me with what content it shows, so Fanime's updates don't always appear on my feed.  But I went back and saw them on their page.

InsaneChan

If you check the facebook, most comments are people wondering about the website. I wouldn't really count the recent fb updates as anything really important, so you can tell they're doing it as a means to appease us. Obviously, that's not happening. At this point, it is definitely a concern that this con is even happening.

Fanime, just talk to us. COMMUNICATE. Is that so much to ask?

On a side note, I hope that if there are guests of honor being spoken to, they're receiving better communication and are less frustrated than we are. If they have a bad experience, they won't return to other cons to meet fans and that would be extremely unfair.
Love. Life. fANIME.

DrScorpio

The lack response is just as bad as the barren website. The staff must be reading these posts. They just must be in a position where they either are not allowed to respond, have no meaningful response and/or are in such a bad state of disorganization no one knows whats going on.

I still havent seen any responses to 2013's concerns much less 2014. The Fanime facebook still doesnt allow visitors to post comments in the main area (probably since the entire page would just be filled with complaints. I am still bothered that they disabled that to stop attendees from voicing complaints. I cant stand the fact that thee is no response from staff. By response I mean a meaningful one that addresses issues...like the horror of Fanime 2013.

I used to love Fanime and would suffer the 6+ hour drive to attend this con, but last year was the first year where I didnt think the con was worth the drive. I will be attending this year, but it may very well be my last Fanime. Several of my friends already gave up on Fanime and will not be attending.

Angelx624

I'm truly stressing out myself because Fanime staff refuse to communicate with us, to be honest. Heck, I haven't even heard about my panels yet, but the last couple years I remember waiting a little while before getting a response, so I'm not too worried about them.

I am worried about the main events though. Is there still gonna be a Music Fest? Are we gonna have ANY guests this year?? I know Masquerade's still happening, from what I've seen here on the forums. Please, Fanime, tell us SOMETHING. Don't keep us in the dark, anymore. You want to keep your slogan of "By Fans, For Fans"? Then show it. Prove to us that you still live up to that slogan. Cause you sure haven't been doing that this year.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

kokosatou

It's already 8 weeks before Fanime, and I'm quite disappointed with the rate of how updates are going. In the 4 years of my time going to Fanime, this is by far the latest it's ever gotten. The fact that nothing is being said about this is sickening and lowers my expectations in this being a better Fanime than last year. At the very least, there should be an announcement of one of the guests of honor showing up this year. There are even smaller cons with less of a budget who can get their guest list up within a matter of months after the convention ends. It's not even post-con, and already there are many complaints. As the second largest anime convention in California, this just ruins its reputation. It's at the point where this will regrettably be the last Fanime I'll be attending. All we ask for are consistent announcements.

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom