We are now accepting entries! Send us your best!
To submit your video, please fill out the following Google Doc: http://goo.gl/Ucl79b
If you find any problems with the rules (which have been modified from prior years' rules), feel free to let me know so I can look into it. I am basically making mild alterations to pre-existing rules, so if you feel anything should be changed, there's a short window of time to inform me and for any potential changes to be made.
Greetings, everyone! Please read the rules carefully as some major (and minor) changes have been made from prior years. We have new staff running the FMVs (Fanime Music Videos) and will be happy to answer any questions you might have.FMV Contest Rules and Guidelines
The rules are put in place to make an even playing field for all contestants. Please keep in mind that we at Fanime aren't perfect, so mistakes can happen. If the mistake is found on your end, we will do our best to contact you and give you the chance to fix it. With the large number of entries expected, we can't devote a lot of time to any one FMV, so some corrections may not be allowed. If the mistake is found on our end we will work as fast as possible to correct it. Remember we on the FMV staff work hard and will do our best to do right by all contestants.All questions and comments can be sent to: email@example.com, posted here, or you can PM me.
UPDATES OF NOTENew Bonus Award
New Disqualification Rules/Quality Requirements
New Entry Method
GENERAL SUBMISSION RULES
• Up to, but not exceeding, 2 videos may be submitted per entrant, organization, or group.
• There is no maximum length for videos, but 5 minutes is preferred as the longest length. Keep in mind that videos of excessive length may be cut due to time constraints.
• All videos may not have been submitted to any prior Fanime Con AMV event.
• Any video with extreme sexual and/or excessive violent content will be automatically disqualified from the contest. Keep in mind that some nudity is artistic in nature, but any video that the judges deem in poor taste will be removed.
• Any video with severe encoding problems, obviously downloaded streaming footage (footage taken from YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) and videos containing subtitles that were not specifically created by the editor for the purpose of the video will be disqualified. If your video is found to have one of these problems and time permits, we will attempt to contact you to see if you have a better version available to send to us.
• “Remake” videos are only allowed if they are created by the same editor who created the original, and in that case, we cannot accept a remake of a video whose original was sent in to a prior FanimeCon.
• Videos must be the creation of the person who is entering it. You cannot submit videos on someone else’s behalf.
• Videos containing footage taken from someone else’s video, or footage “remade”, “emulated” or copied scene-for-scene, effect-for-effect are strictly NOT allowed. Anyone found stealing footage will be banned from future contests at FanimeCon.Video Bumpers
Please don't put opening or closing bumpers in your video. We will be putting uniform title bumpers to all the videos ourselves. Submission Due Dates
All videos must be in the hands of the video coordinator no later than the Hard Deadline of 11:59PM PST/PDT on Wednesday April 30th, 2014. Additional points will be awarded for all entries submitted on the Soft Deadline on or before Wednesday April 23rd, 2014. All videos submitted will be tested to make sure that there are no problems with playback. If there are any problems, there is a short amount of time to fix and/or resubmit your work.Online Submissions
Online submissions are now the only method of entry to the contest. We are no longer accepting physical media via mail. Please upload your file to any file sharing service you like and direct us as to where (and if complicated, how) to download it. We can also download video from your AMVs.org uploads if your video has been uploaded there. There are many other file sharing websites online and you may use any that you want, just don’t send links to any illegal or illicit file hosting websites. Entries are not accepted at-con.
Entry form will be added at a later date.File Formats
We are only accepting files that are formatted in MPEG2, AVI, or MP4. If you choose to select a format that is different from the one’s listed we will contact you and ask that you change it’s format. Please, when exporting your files stay within official resolutions 720X480 or 1280x720 and with stereo audio. Videos may be rejected if the resolution is too small.
MPEG2, AVI and MP4s accepted.
Frame rate should be either 23.97 or 29.97.
Please use resolutions of 720x480 or 1280x720. Higher resolutions will be scaled down.
Please compress your video- don’t send us your original uncompressed copy. While we don’t have a limit on filesize, we would prefer to not have to download 500MB+ videos!
• 192 Kilobits per second or better
• Choose stereo over joint stereo for best quality
• Sample at 44.1Khz
*Note! When resizing your video the choice of maintaining the aspect ratio will be determined on a video-to-video basis.Events and Judging
Judging staff will consist of Fanime FMV coordination staff, Fanime Con staff, outside technical and artistic judges, and AMV editors not participating in Fanime AMV events for the current year.
Fanimecon has four genres as follows:
• ACTION - Adventure, Horror, Action.
• DRAMA - Romance, Emotions, Tear-Jerkers, Conflict
• COMEDY- Think Comedy, Parody, just things that really make you laugh.
• EXPERIMENTAL/TRAILER: AMV Trailers and anything that doesn’t match the criteria for the above categories will be placed here.
*** Note! Judging staff reserves the right to place your video in any category if they feel the video was misplaced. To avoid any conflicts we will contact you before this move.
100 Point Judging Scale:
35 Points – Skill/Technical Prowess
35 Points – Creativity/Concept
15 Points – Quality of Audio selection
15 Points – Quality of source material.
2 Extra points will be given to those who submit on or before April 23rd, 2014
*Note! Please keep in mind that the 100 point scale and any extra points are assigned per judge on the judges panel. This means that every point has the potential to make or break a winner.
The judging staff will view each entry and choose which entries will make it into the finals. Don't despair - those that don't make it into the finals will still be shown along with those that did make it into the contest during the con in-between programming during the convention.Notifications
Different notifications will be sent out to each contestant depending on how far they made it through judging.
1st Email – This will be sent to you notifying you that your video has been received and logged into our system.
2nd Email – There will be two different types sent out. Type A will be informing you that you have made it into the contest. Type B will be informing you yours was not chosen this year.
3rd Email – This Email will be sent to everyone giving you the time, date, and seating arrangements.Award Classifications
• Judges Choice:
Judges Choice will be decided prior to Fanime Con and will not be announced until the Award Ceremony.• Viewers Choice:
The attending audience of the finals judging will decide Viewers Choice. All audience members will vote on their favorite video by ballot.• Bonus Awards:
This year’s bonus award is based upon Fanimecon’s theme. As this is their 20th Anniversary, the con’s theme is “Celebration” with an additional Beach Party theme. Videos that follow the spirit of celebration in some way and/or involve beach parties will be accepted as potential contestants for the bonus award.
Each genre will have a winner. There will also be two Best of Show awards chosen out of all submissions (one from Judges and one from Audience). The bonus award will be given to the video which best meets the theme out of ALL entries, as chosen by the Judges. Awards will be submitted to all winners during the Award Ceremony at the con. You do not have to be present at the con to receive your award but it would be nice if you were. Any awards unclaimed at con will be mailed out.PRIZES:
A $50 Gift Card will be given to each first place and Best in Show winner. With Judges and Audience votes, that means we have 10 gift cards to give away, and you can potentially win up to 3 for a single video (First Place x 2 and Best in Show).Exhibition Videos
Exhibition videos will be accepted and may be shown at other events during the con. If you wish to submit an exhibition FMV please make sure your documentation says that it specifically is for the exhibition. Otherwise it will be judged as a regular FMV and may or may not be disqualified.Notice!!! Fanime Con 2014 reserves the right to amend the rules at any time.