Anime Video Game Cosplay Geek Clearing House > Homestuck!

BACK IN MY DAY

(1/2) > >>

octoberesque:
This is mostly a joke (aka GET OFF MY LAWN), but it is so cool to me that we have our own subforum. My first fandom was Sailormoon, and I was never a forum person, so I've never experienced this kind of conversation (I am also a little old, y'all).

Do any of you have any relatable fandom experiences that might help out the young Homestucks? I see a lot of dismissive stuff and folks saying it will drop off after the series ends, but my anecdata is merely that I have never stopped cosplaying Sailormoon characters, and it's been off the air for ages. Plus, I think Homestuck has enough cosplay fodder for at least ten more years. Maybe more.

My positive fandom experience of these past few years:
I read Homestuck and decided off the cuff to throw together some cosplay. Just by doing that, I met friends that I would never have connected with, began doing panels, and met someone incredibly special. This could be said for any anime, game, or interest. Think about that! It is really profound to me that humans flock together like this, over entertainment. I mean, that's why we HAVE conventions like Fanime.

Homestuck, to me, is just like any other convention fandom (I have seen many), and with time, I think the non-Homestuck perspective of it will change. I remember people being annoyed that cosplayers were coming in video game costumes (IKR?), tv show costumes, etc. Change annoys people.

Just for glob's sake SEAL YOUR PAINT and look into PAX/fabric body paint solutions. Na'vi and Mystique cosplayers don't get the stink-eye in full body paint, why should we?

Just rambling thoughts. I'm glad to have a place to put them in the Fanime forums. :)

Pluvicorn:
Having gone the rout of body paint, let me just say arm socks are the way to go.
Not having to worry about rubbing off on people is a blessing.
And also being able to hug people is awesome.

But I agree with everything you're saying! I hope the negative feedback for some fandoms can stop. I've noticed similar feelings towards MLP and such and it's sad because there is clearly a REASON why so many people flock to it. And most people who have a negative view of it haven't even taken the time to read or watch it. It's kind of just the "hate it because it's popular" thing.
</3

octoberesque:
You know, I swear by using fabric paint as body paint (it's way cheaper than PAX) and it works really well with my skin. The arm socks I've made have all irritated the webbing between my fingers horribly since the only way I can figure how to keep the stitches from causing runs in the stocking material is nail polish, fraycheck, glue...all crusty and sharp by the time I finish. I've never rubbed off on anyone (TWSS) luckily.

kookiekween99:

--- Quote from: octoberesque on March 11, 2014, 06:08:47 PM ---You know, I swear by using fabric paint as body paint (it's way cheaper than PAX) and it works really well with my skin.

--- End quote ---

When doing that, you have to make sure it's specifically nontoxic on skin. Some acrylic/fabric paints aren't safe for skin.

Nina Star 9:
Ah, nooooo, don't use paint that isn't meant for skin on your skin. Even if it says "non-toxic" on the label, it's still not formulated for prolonged contact with skin and could still contain some nasty things that you don't want on your skin all day. It's really bad for your skin, too.

As for armsocks, try to find something advertised as tights rather than pantyhose, since those tend to be thicker and less likely to run (though they'll still get holes in them, they won't actually run), and look for things advertised as being less likely to run. I think microfiber tights would probably work well. If you get something that doesn't run, you don't have to worry about using some sort of glue substance to keep the seams together. (I've darned almost all of my tights when they've gotten holes in them with no problem, and I've never had a pair of tights -- made out of a thicker, more opaque material that is knit differently from pantyhose -- run)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version