2014 Cosplay Spectacular~! Let's get excited~!

Started by PrincessSquib, March 10, 2014, 12:52:19 PM

What do you go to the Masquerade for?

The Costumes~!
5 (33.3%)
The skits~!
10 (66.7%)
So sing the pokemon theme song!
4 (26.7%)
To count like the count from Seaseme Street, ah ah ah~!
0 (0%)
I go because I feel like it.
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

PrincessSquib

Hello Everyone~!

I wanted to create a thread where entrants for the 2014 Cosplay Spectacular can talk to each other, and share their thoughts on the upcoming event.

What can we expect this year?
Is anyone planning on using the theme to your group's advantage?
What awards are you aiming for?
How much duct tape should you bring backstage in case something goes wrong?!

Feel free to share your thoughts, experiences, horror stories, ect~!

Princess Squib Cosplay
-A.K.A. Sailor Venus from Sailor Moon Burlesque Group
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

airanimechiic

What is the theme for this year?
I'm considering joining the masquerade, but don't have a group or anything.
Does anyone know when the application deadline is btw?
Me!
Videos <3
Blog <3
Dance <3
Twitter: @resachiic
Instagram: @resachiic

Cosplays 2019: Luna(SailorMoon), Mimikyu

PrincessSquib

The theme this year I believe is "Fun in the Sun", So I assume, beach themed, summer themed, picnics, warmer weather, cold drinks, ect.

You don't have to do a group, it can be a solo act.

And the deadline for the applications is usually up until a week before the performances. Its posted sometime in early April. Some people even sign up at the convention, though I DO NOT suggest this. There will be no guarantee they will take sign ups at the convention, but it had usually always been an option if there was room.

Princess Squib Cosplay
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

CielloRegalo

Quote from: PrincessSquib on March 13, 2014, 11:17:02 AM
The theme this year I believe is "Fun in the Sun", So I assume, beach themed, summer themed, picnics, warmer weather, cold drinks, ect.

Princess Squib Cosplay
The FMV theme is "Celebration" and 'beach party' since it's the 20th anniversary of the Con. I wanted to confirm if this was the theme for the Spectacular as well because I don't have a beach theme in mind but I do have a celebration theme in mind. Either way I am going to do the skit I intend! Just curious :3
  Also I do not know if you know since the Fanime website isn't up with more info yet but will we be able to request time slots for the skit? Such as being the very last one? Thank you for all you do, Princess.

UsakoMinako

There are no official request for time slots in Cosplay Spectacular. If your group has special circumstances, there will be a box in your form when you sign up to describe what your special needs are. I would suggest putting anything out of the ordinary in there, and keep in direct contact with the coordinator to confirm your needs. This is the best way to help the Staff and your group get everything you need.  :D

CielloRegalo

Quote from: UsakoMinako on March 13, 2014, 06:28:27 PM
There are no official request for time slots in Cosplay Spectacular. If your group has special circumstances, there will be a box in your form when you sign up to describe what your special needs are. I would suggest putting anything out of the ordinary in there, and keep in direct contact with the coordinator to confirm your needs. This is the best way to help the Staff and your group get everything you need.  :D
Thanks so much for the response. It's my first time attempting to full cosplay and skit so I want to ask everything now so I am prepared.

PrincessSquib

Usako makes a good point. Requests for specific times are usually not given, but in the past, from my experience, you can say around what order you wish to go. For example, "I want to go in the begining, middle, or end", but saying "I want to go 11th!" Would be a bit tricky.
ALSO: IF YOU HAVE A MINOR IN YOUR GROUP (under 16), they will put you closer to the beginning. This is from my person experience, as my brother was in my last skit.

UPDATE: Someone announced in this Forum that the Cosplay spectacular sign ups will be the 29th of March.
Its under the Forum Cosplay Masquerade 2014 Registration Info:

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give you a heads up about Registration for Masquerade. We will be accepting applications on March 29th, 2014. Any submissions prior will not be answered until the 29th. Rules and Regulations will be posted as soon as possible.

If you have any problems with Registration for Masquerade, you can send an email to [email protected] with:

Name
Contact Info
Skit Name
Group Name
Any other specifics about your Skit/Walk-on (i.e. lighting, stage ninjas, sound, etc.)
Please be sure to attach your sound file in the email as well so we can get that all squared away early.

A confirmation email will be sent back to you with the forms needed for entry into Masquerade.

If you have any other questions, you can send an email to [email protected].

Thanks for your patience
~*~From Masquerade Team~*~
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Motoko

Been a while since I even set foot on the Masquerade stage...not since 2009...
So I have a few questions if anyone here knows.

1. Do our performances have to follow the theme that Fanime provides?

2. Are we restricted to ONLY skits or a walk-on? Are other types of performances not allowed; such as a martial arts demo?

If no one knows, I'll definitely email the people in charge of Masquerade.
Just wanted to see if any of the people that have been on stage, knows the answers first.
Hope these questions aren't too improper to ask.
Thank you in advance to anyone answering.

PrincessSquib

Quote from: Motoko on March 17, 2014, 02:26:19 PM
Been a while since I even set foot on the Masquerade stage...not since 2009...
So I have a few questions if anyone here knows.

1. Do our performances have to follow the theme that Fanime provides?

2. Are we restricted to ONLY skits or a walk-on? Are other types of performances not allowed; such as a martial arts demo?

If no one knows, I'll definitely email the people in charge of Masquerade.
Just wanted to see if any of the people that have been on stage, knows the answers first.
Hope these questions aren't too improper to ask.
Thank you in advance to anyone answering.

Hi! I can answer those for you.

1) Absolutely not. :D Going along with the theme is a personal choice, I usually don't but I've seen some very successful skits that have been.

2) You are not limited to those two things, think of the two minutes and thirty seconds on stage as any type of performance that you want. There were some great Avatar the Last Airbender skits in previous years that focused on martial arts moves without dialogue, and just used music. Dialogue must be pre-recorded though, and no microphones are given that I know of. Except to the Karaoke winner. My group will be doing a dance, possibly swing dance, or something of the sort. Just using music.

I hope this helped. :3

Princess Squib Cosplay
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Erik_anderson

Going to address several questions at once.

airanimechiic
QuoteWhat is the theme for this year?

As mentioned the conventions theme is 'Celebration' because it's the 20th anniversary of  FanimeCon.  You are not required to use this theme for any of your entries in the Cosplay Masquerade.

CielloRegalo
Quotebut will we be able to request time slots for the skit? Such as being the very last one?

UsakoMinako is exactly right, we do not have reserved ordering, however if you need or desire considerations like being first or last then please Email [email protected] and add it to your submission forms.

Motoko
Quote1. Do our performances have to follow the theme that Fanime provides?

PrincessSquib answered these, but let me add a bit to the official answer, If you are planning to do a martial arts demo you will need to clear and demonstrate any potentially dangerous performances with the weapons master (me) prior to the performance.  The key it to ensure that we have proper medical and safety equipment on hand to keep you and the Masquerade staff and audience safe. 

Going forward if for 2015 we will be taking submissions for half time shows, demonstrations and exhibitions.  Rules for that till be posted just prior to the opening of FanimeCon 2014.
~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~
An evil so refined that it knows which fork to use... but chooses not to.
~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~

PrincessSquib

Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

PrincessSquib

So what was your guys' favorite skit you've ever seen? The most memorable?  I recall a few years ago, there was a gay bar skit for Ouran High School Host Club.  It was brilliant.
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Motoko

I remember that one.
They were pretty good.
The one that I will always remember is an RO (Ragnarok Online) skit.
It was very well done.
Would like to see one like that again. =)

PrincessSquib

Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

SquishyK

The Host Club gay bar was really good as was the Mario YES dance.

gomu gomu no cosplay did a couple good ones. I also really loved the Portal one from last year. Also, it wasn't a skit but they had the opera singer come one year as one of their extra entertainment acts and OH MY GOODNESS she was awesome! Standing ovation!
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

PrincessSquib

Quote from: pitin on March 19, 2014, 10:14:30 AM
The Host Club gay bar was really good as was the Mario YES dance.

gomu gomu no cosplay did a couple good ones. I also really loved the Portal one from last year. Also, it wasn't a skit but they had the opera singer come one year as one of their extra entertainment acts and OH MY GOODNESS she was awesome! Standing ovation!
Was the Princess Tutu ballerina from last year or 2012? THAT was a presentation to remember.
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Motoko

I remember the Host Club "gay bar".
They did a pretty good job I remember that pretty much.
As for Princess Tutu, it was in 2012.
Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiyZV25NBdg

I remember seeing this one as well.
She was magnificent. =)

(I wonder if I can still sign up...I just realized sign up date is a day where I'm abhorrently busy...)

PrincessSquib

It'll only take a few minutes. :D

And, thank you for the video.
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Motoko

Ah I certainly hope it takes only a few minutes.
Is there anything I can do to prepare what to enter for the sign up form in advance?
This is so I won't feel AS rushed as I would if I had to enter it on the spot.
I read the registration rules and I'll quote it here from MagicMan1525:

Name
Contact Info
Skit Name
Group Name
Any other specifics about your Skit/Walk-on (i.e. lighting, stage ninjas, sound, etc.)
Please be sure to attach your sound file in the email as well so we can get that all squared away early.

A confirmation email will be sent back to you with the forms needed for entry into Masquerade.

So this is what I read from there.
Is this roughly correct?
If it's not, please let me know.
Thank you in advance =)

PrincessSquib

Quote from: Motoko on March 25, 2014, 01:04:38 AM
Ah I certainly hope it takes only a few minutes.
Is there anything I can do to prepare what to enter for the sign up form in advance?
This is so I won't feel AS rushed as I would if I had to enter it on the spot.
I read the registration rules and I'll quote it here from MagicMan1525:

Name
Contact Info
Skit Name
Group Name

So this is what I read from there.
Is this roughly correct?
If it's not, please let me know.
Thank you in advance =)

Its ROUGHLY correct, the sound is usually given to them on the day you sign in, but I hope we get to email it in this year, as well, to avoid losing music.

You should also know your skit members: full names, ages, their costumes, and if they need any special help. And if anyone is under 16, they need to have their guardian sign a waiver, and give it to the desk on the day of your sign in.

Listing stage ninjas is usually on a separate part of the signup page, near the bottom comments. Lighting and sound can have some instructions, but try not to overload them with timing. It can get confusing backstage...

There is also usually space for an introduction, though last year, they seem to have been forgotten... Its a little less than a paragraph you can use to introduce your group. Two to three sentences maybe. This is what the emcee reads, and it does NOT count in your 2:30 time limit. Your time will start after  the emcee ends his introduction. They also announce who was in the skit, cosplaying as what, and who made them at the end of the skit... on occasion. That's why I believe they need the information.

I hope this helped. :3

Princess Squib Cosplay
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz