Your First Masquerade

Started by Erik_anderson, March 18, 2014, 01:36:35 PM

Erik_anderson

I want to start this thread to both encourage anyone who wants to enter into the competition for the first time.

Some food for thought:

• What music would work best to display your costume?

Stand back from a mirror 20 feet, how does your outfit look?  Can the audience see you

Write your dialog (if any) down

determine if your entry is a walk-on (You strut your stuff on stage and then off) or a skit (acting out a scene or with other members of your team)

How do you determine *who* you are playing.  You want to embody the essence of your character.  How do they walk, stance, facial expression.

Please feel free to discuss ideas, ask questions and get advice.
~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~
An evil so refined that it knows which fork to use... but chooses not to.
~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~

heeroyuy135

I remember when I did my first ever Masquerade skit in 2008 (during the Hare Hare Yukari fiasco where somehow there was five skits of the same song). At some point, you just get out there and do what you've been working on for the longest time. Even if you don't win something, you already won by putting on a show for the audience and that's something that about 1 to 2% of any given attendee that attends a con on the weekend will do.

PrincessSquib

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on March 18, 2014, 05:37:21 PM
I remember when I did my first ever Masquerade skit in 2008 (during the Hare Hare Yukari fiasco where somehow there was five skits of the same song). At some point, you just get out there and do what you've been working on for the longest time. Even if you don't win something, you already won by putting on a show for the audience and that's something that about 1 to 2% of any given attendee that attends a con on the weekend will do.

Oh god I remember that. D:
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Motoko

Oh gosh, even I recall that.
Actually this was also our first year on stage as well...though we were an opening act.
We sat down to watch the rest as well.
Hope this year has a lot of new and creative entries.

SquishyK

That was really kind of heart braking by the third, some really rude people in the audience actually started booing the performers. It wasn't their fault, I'm sure they were entirely un-aware that so many other groups had chosen that song.

My first Masquerade was 2006. I probably only understood a handful of the references. I think Prince of Tennis was really big that year but I wasn't familiar with much anime intended for people over the age of 10 except for Fullmatal Alchemist (vicariously through friends), Ah-My-Goddess, and Tenchi Muyo. But still I had so much fun, the announcer was great and would throw witty banter off of the audience. The stage ninja's were quite amusing. The opening performance was fabulous as were the AMVs they showed while the judges deliberated. Masquerade is what really won me over and made me fall in love with Fanime. And appropriately enough the only skit I remember off the top of my head was Hughes singing L.O.V.E. by Nat King Cole to Colonel Mustang.

p.s. probably should have read all of the first post to get an idea of what this thread it about before posting... whoops.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

PrincessSquib

Quote from: pitin on March 31, 2014, 12:40:55 PM
That was really kind of heart braking by the third, some really rude people in the audience actually started booing the performers. It wasn't their fault, I'm sure they were entirely un-aware that so many other groups had chosen that song.

My first Masquerade was 2006. I probably only understood a handful of the references. I think Prince of Tennis was really big that year but I wasn't familiar with much anime intended for people over the age of 10 except for Fullmatal Alchemist (vicariously through friends), Ah-My-Goddess, and Tenchi Muyo. But still I had so much fun, the announcer was great and would through witty banter off of the audience. The stage ninja's were quite amusing. The opening performance was fabulous as were the AMVs they showed while the judges deliberated. Masquerade is what really won me over and made me fall in love with Fanime. And appropriately enough the only skit I remember off the top of my head was Hughes singing L.O.V.E. by Nat King Cole to Colonel Mustang.

p.s. probably should have read all of the first post to get an idea of what this thread it about before posting... whoops.

I agree. That was completely unfair. I believe this is why they want a description of the skit now, as opposed to just the name and introduction. The con staff should have picked up on that though, or at least spaced them out accordingly. Oh well, I was just glad that Gangadam Style and What Does The Fox Say didn't explode like the Hare Hare Yukai...

My first masquerade opted my interests in anime that I hadn't seen at the time (Trigun), and elevated my interests in the ones that I have (Angelic Layer). I was only 12 or 13 at the time, but it made an impact on me that has lasted since then. Now that I've taken part in the past few years, I enjoy it so much more.
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

KuriQueenofFeels

My first masquerade ( doing a skit and first at fanime XD ) luckily didn't get booed or anything, but, man I wish there would have been something like this to sort of tell us to pay attention to costumes. We didn't even get them judged we didn't care at all ^^;;; i don't know if you guys remember the "You can't suceed in the masquerade if you don't have any yaoi" Skit in '10, but that was us XD I was the Sora.
oh how far have I come from not caring what so ever to entering in a cosplay specifically for craftsmanship loool.
Cosplay Lineup 2017
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret
Friday: Death Scene Dress
Saturday: Kingsglaive
Monday: Casual Short Dress

Sunday: Vaporeon, with group

PrincessSquib

Quote from: KuriQueenofFeels on April 01, 2014, 11:31:34 PM
My first masquerade ( doing a skit and first at fanime XD ) luckily didn't get booed or anything, but, man I wish there would have been something like this to sort of tell us to pay attention to costumes. We didn't even get them judged we didn't care at all ^^;;; i don't know if you guys remember the "You can't suceed in the masquerade if you don't have any yaoi" Skit in '10, but that was us XD I was the Sora.
oh how far have I come from not caring what so ever to entering in a cosplay specifically for craftsmanship loool.

Fanservice, especially yaoi, is NEVER boo'd. It's too glorious.
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Raye

Quote from: KuriQueenofFeels on April 01, 2014, 11:31:34 PM

Oh gosh, I actually remember that one! xD

AmiYoshiko

Hi :D! So I am planning hopefully to be in the masquerade this year and I have several questions.
Is it ok if we use original soundtrack from animes for the skit or is there any copyright issues?
Is it possible to have the lights go off during the performance while main audio is still playing to say have a contestant quickly run to the side of the stage behind the curtains to slip an article of clothing off and slip on another and come back on for like a transformation like thing?
And when are the registration for the masquerade open :D?
Also if I want to be judges by craftsmanship do I have to do a walk on or can I do a skit but still be judged on craftsmanship of my cosplay?
Thank you so much!~^-^

Motoko

@AmiYoshiko - Good stuff~ Hope you enjoy it, it's really fun~ =)
Anime sound tracks are okay.
You have to provide it though in 320kbps format and email the staff or provide it via usb or something when you check in.
There will be a time for you to check in; date and times are announced as the event develops.
Lights off; I'm sure that can be accommodated as long as you tell them when.
You and your team should do a practice on the stage so that the fanime masquerade staff can get use to the timing.

Registration is not yet open to my knowledge...I'm waiting for that myself.
Hope that helps =)

Animegeek86

My first masquerade skit happened at Sac Anime 2010 winter. I was death the kid and I was really nervous about doing a skit.  My skit was a dance skit and although there were many dance skits, I was nervous that I might not do well.  However, that wasn't the case.  I got the crowd going, and a few fan girls screaming at the top of their lungs.  I got a judges award because of that and I did that very same skit for Fanime 2010 (I just tweeked it just a little bit of some of the song choices).  In fact it got even better and I got Best individual performance because of that.  Here are the links for my performances.

Sac-Anime Winter 2010: http://youtu.be/QBk5EcLvZb8

Fanime 2010: http://youtu.be/Rd4xRTtv_ME

RandR

Hi I have a few questions:

- Can we perform using store bought costumes in any of the performances?
- How long can a skit be?
- How can we adjust the lighting?
- Where and how do we submit our music/audio and our skit?
- Are there any rehearsal times?
- Can we hook up a keyboard to a speaker to be able to use on stage?

SquishyK

Quote from: RandR on February 21, 2015, 08:38:41 PM
Hi I have a few questions:

- Can we perform using store bought costumes in any of the performances?
- How long can a skit be?
- How can we adjust the lighting?
- Where and how do we submit our music/audio and our skit?
- Are there any rehearsal times?
- Can we hook up a keyboard to a speaker to be able to use on stage?

I think most of your questions can be answered by reading over the rules from last year: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19131.0.html

Any other questions will probably get a more prompt response if sent to the Masquerade staff via email: [email protected]
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Angelx624

My first Fanime Masquerade was back in 2010(which was also my first Fanime in general, go figure) and it was definitely a blast!! I did a Kingdom Hearts skit with a couple friends. Ahh the memories. <3
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)