[APPROVED!] You're not a REAL geek!

Started by jumbocrayon, April 26, 2014, 11:55:50 AM

jumbocrayon

Hey guys!  Very excited to announce that I (and possibly an unconfirmed co-host) will be hosting a panel focusing on the bullying ingrained in geek culture!  This will be a close look at how bullying affects geeks, specifically targeting the bullying by geeks to other geeks.  Ever feel like you're defending your geekdom to other geeks?  This panel is going to touch on the psychology behind why this is becoming a common phenomenon, as well as take a close look at some of our own experiences, prejudices and actions.  I've scoured research papers, the internet, and the lives of those around me for anecdotes highlighting how a seemingly innocent joke/comment can deeply hurt both another person, and geek culture as a whole.

Title: You're not a REAL geek!
Time: 10am Sunday
Place: Panels 3

Why this panel: As a female geek who also happens to be a professional game programmer, I have some unique perspectives and experiences with the expectation of having to constantly prove to fellow nerds and geeks, men and women alike, that I do belong in this culture.  We all do it at some level, if even just subconsciously.  But as the most bullied culture from childhood in today's society, we the geeks/nerds/dorks/gamers have a very unique opportunity to end the cycle of abuse, and become an awesome inclusive culture.  The way our culture is currently evolving, we're expecting others to prove that they are one of us, often rejecting those we deem to have not endured the same level of bullying as we did. I want to raise awareness at how to identify and alleviate these types of bullying situations, whether in person, over the internet, or some other medium- Bullying is NEVER okay, and we have the power to put an end to it!

Feedback, ideas, and stories/anecdotes are very welcome! Post or PM me if you want to incorporate your story on how you experienced, watched, or stopped geek-on-geek bullying!
Fanime 2015 CosLineup:
Friday: PMMM Group (school uniform sayaka)
Saturday: Gunner Yuna (FFX-2)
Sunday: Mulan group
Monday Morning: TBD

jumbocrayon

Just an update: the program description is still mostly accurate, but it has evolved a little over the course of putting together my research, slides, and anecdotes; getting very excited for sunday!  A more accurate description would read:

Now that nerd/geek hobbies and interests are becoming more mainstream, it's becoming increasingly acceptable to lash out when meeting new people who "claim" to share our interests.  This panel will be a dissection of the psychology of nerd cultural exclusivity, to be accompanied by a discussion about the effects of bullying on and within a given geek culture/subculture.
Fanime 2015 CosLineup:

jumbocrayon

In case anyone missed this or didn't get my email at the end of the panel due to the late start, one of my awesome coworkers recorded it and posted it onto youtube :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYSDN5OA6k8

Thanks so much to everyone who attended; apologies that we ran out of time at the end due to the technical difficulties at the beginning!  I'll try and use a PC next time to avoid those mac->cable issues. 
Fanime 2015 CosLineup: