Older crowd meetup?

Started by camivette, April 30, 2014, 06:53:34 PM

YaoiCat

What night would be good for you guys?  I'll actually be celebrating my 27th bday on saturday night at the con :)

Zero_Kirby

I'm 27 does that work? May I join?

Anon

somebody nominate a place to do this for this year. I'd suggest a place but I haven't lived in SJ for over the past decade. I dunno where all the cool kids hang out at, much less a place where all us old fogeys with our walkers and canes can congregate and complain about those damn kids playing on our lawns

YaoiCat

I don't know the area well either.  I like to hang out at Tanq bar in the Marriott cause it's super convenient and last year they had yummy fanime themed drinks :)  It's kind of pricey though.

echoshadow

Oh.?? There's interest?

Hum... Well I'll get to brass tax. Meeting anywhere for food/drinks is going to be at lest $30 minimum. Also no one wants to walk anywhere. So with that in mind who is willing to spend that much?
Tanq is expensive unless you cheap out and buy only get beer on tap. That's $6. Also Tanq is small so fitting any more the 4 people is not worth it.

The best option is a room "party" and a byob type, and I recommend liqour, cost per drink is far better.  But not sure how comfortable everyone is with that. Sadly Fanime doesn't seem as friendly as ax when it comes to room parties. Unless you know a friend of a friend type deal.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

cardinal2007

I would love a get together, and I actually think the other bars like Singlebarrel, Paper Plane, the Continental, are nicer than Tanq, but I'm a DTSJ local, so I'm comfortable going away from the hotels area , whereas I can see out of towners preferring the hotels, so I won't press, but the Continental, and Singlebarrel are near  Famine. Let me know if you decide on anything, could just make a reservation at Mezcal or something.

Jebus

Well, I kinda jumped the gun, and I don't have the extra coin to just amtrak my way over to san jose just to hang out and have a few drinks. But if anyone wants to hang out at anime expo, I'm putting my eggs in that particular basket for the time being. Fanime next year is also a possibility for me, but I can't expect anyone to be willing to drive my ass for three hours and then back another three.

djmonolith

Is anyone looking at this thread planning to cosplay?
This is my signature.

YaoiCat

Depending on the day, I'll either be cosplaying as Amethyst from Steven Universe or Nurse Joy from Pokemon.  Although since this meetup will probably be at night, I might change into my casual Totoro outfit since it's more comfortable :)

I'm not against going somewhere outside the con, but I think it would have to be something within easy walking distance.   Anyone familiar with the area want to make an executive decision and pick a place? :)

cardinal2007

Quote from: YaoiCat on May 17, 2015, 01:39:59 PM
Anyone familiar with the area want to make an executive decision and pick a place? :)

An area that is nice, close to the Con, and has actually improved a lot the last few years is South First Area. Basically walk across Market Street, turn right at First St, and you're there.

If you're looking for something even low key the new SoFA market will work, it is kind of like San Pedro Sq Mrkt, but still under construction though, (if you don't know what San Pedro Sq Mrkt is I can suggest a ton of places in DTSJ much better than or cheaper than the stuff at the hotels or Johnny Rockets), anyway currently has a bar, a coffee shop, and a burger place inside. Across the street is Cafe Stritch, it has somewhat more of a bar atmosphere. The best bar in the area (and probably for the next 40 miles) would be Singlebarrel, but they have strict control on how many people to let in.

Saturday is more crowded than Friday for obvious reasons. For bars I would recommend Singlebarrel or the Continental.

So I'm going to ask what people want now, and just going to have to make an executive decision by Tuesday, just because it seems like I'm the only local here.

YaoiCat

I like something more low-key, a comfortable lounge-type of place that's good for having conversations with people :)  I'm not too much a fan of places that are so loud that you can't hear or talk to anyone, haha.

djmonolith

San Pedro Square is a great area to hang out... plus there are multiple food vendors and places to order drinks.  If you don't mind walking a bit (3 big city blocks)... http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-pedro-square-market-san-jose
This is my signature.

YaoiCat

I dunno about everyone else, but I'm super lazy after a long day of walking around at the con, so the closer the better, haha :)

cardinal2007

SoFA market is basically SoFA's answer to San Pedro Square Market, it is heading to be a mini SPSM , but yeah only a few places open, but yeah sounds like people prefer to be close to the con, SoFA district is pretty close.

If people don't like the choices at SoFA market you could bring to go food. It does have the downside that part of it is under construction. Are people looking at Saturday, Sunday or Friday.

Anon

I would like to request either Sunday, or if Saturday, before or after the musicfest.

icilby

Throwing the idea out there, but ShowdownGG is doing a Saturday night, 21+ event at South First Billiards. Haven't been to their SJ venue, but their SF venue has a bunch of old school video games, board games, and drinks. The venue seems to be right next to the convention center if you all wanna check it out.

YaoiCat

I'm wondering if the easiest way to do this may be to meet up in the bar at the marriott then discuss where to go from there?

djmonolith

Quote from: icilby on May 19, 2015, 04:00:14 PM
Throwing the idea out there, but ShowdownGG is doing a Saturday night, 21+ event at South First Billiards. Haven't been to their SJ venue, but their SF venue has a bunch of old school video games, board games, and drinks. The venue seems to be right next to the convention center if you all wanna check it out.

South First Billiards is fun.  Pool, darts, air hockey, and loud music. 
This is my signature.

cardinal2007

I tried looking online for Saturday's schedule, but I could find nothing about when the Musicfest is going to happen, so until I pick up the schedule tonight I won't know anything, there isn't a schedule posted online. So I'm just going to say we are NOT doing Saturday, since I too want to go to the concert, but I don't know when it will end.

Friday is probably less convenient for people than Sunday, so how about Sunday at around 5pm, at SoFA market.

Can I get a Yes or No on this from people?

Thanks.

djmonolith

This is my signature.