KUDOS TO REGISTRATION!

Started by FanFicGuru, May 22, 2014, 12:45:50 PM

SOawesomeness

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 27, 2014, 03:39:10 PM
The tape and line has to be there for any line that may form in the future. If they take it down and then the line starts blocking fire exits etc, now they have to worry about re-positioning people and establishing boundaries so that people don't jump the line.

Additionally, by building in that maze they also helped to stagger the people who got to the door. For example, if there is a line of 10 people at the front of the maze and then 10 more people enter the "maze" and take about a minute to get to the front, now the line is no longer there. It gives registration time they need to process any residual line.

Seriously, if all people have to complain about was having to walk through an EMPTY line maze, I'd say Registration honestly has nothing to change.
The real reason why we left it up instead of having a way to cut through the lines was so that the people are staggered. We ended up making a cut eventually, once we were convinced that we wouldn't have a huge rush on Saturday morning, Sunday morning, etc.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

time4chowder

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 27, 2014, 03:39:10 PM
Quote from: time4chowder on May 27, 2014, 03:27:52 PM
Definitely kudos to how quickly registration was able to process! The only drawback was the maze and we can't even cut through the tape even with no line. I honestly thought that was absolutely unnecessary and a complete waste of time. If there's no line, why waste our time walking through all that? They should have at least taken some of those poles/caution tape down.

The tape and line has to be there for any line that may form in the future. If they take it down and then the line starts blocking fire exits etc, now they have to worry about re-positioning people and establishing boundaries so that people don't jump the line.

Additionally, by building in that maze they also helped to stagger the people who got to the door. For example, if there is a line of 10 people at the front of the maze and then 10 more people enter the "maze" and take about a minute to get to the front, now the line is no longer there. It gives registration time they need to process any residual line.

Seriously, if all people have to complain about was having to walk through an EMPTY line maze, I'd say Registration honestly has nothing to change.

They could have always added/removed as needed including those cutting into the line. I actually had to walk through the empty maze. They wouldn't let anyone around it.

Stormfalcon

Another reason why they left the mazes up?  They just want to make sure that we fans got our exercise at the start of our con experience :D

(Never mind that we'd be running around a good-sized chunk of Downtown SJ as well as the Convention Center all weekend...)

Seriously though, let me echo the kudos for sending LineCon to the best-forgotten portions of Fanime history (of course, there's Son of LineCon at the Swap Meet now...).  From over six hours wait last year to six minutes to process this year, massive improvement and a good way to start the con on the right foot!
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

SquishyK

THIS WAS FRIKN' AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU REG PEEPS FOR STEPPING UP IN A BIG WAY!!!!!!!! I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW ABSOLUTELY FLOORED I WAS!!!!!!!!!! NO LINES! NO LINES ALL WEEKEND! I LOVED PASSING THAT SECTION OF CON AND SEEING THE ROWS OF EMPTY CAUTION TAPE LINE! LIKE SERIOUSLY WHERE DO I SEND THE FRUIT BASKET?! YOU GUYS ARE MY HERO!!!!
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

KyraEnsui

You guys are too amazing! Picking up our badges was a breeze! Beside flying through the maze for a good exercise. XD. It was magnificent. The staffs deserves a good hug! <3

Roguethe

Registration on Friday was super easy. No wait at all, just us weaving through the lines lol. Thanks for keeping it so well staffed this year!

I draw sometimessss

CatToy

so, now that it's fixed, what WAS the reason that registration was so horrible the past two years?

FanFicGuru

Quote from: CatToy on May 29, 2014, 01:00:28 PM
so, now that it's fixed, what WAS the reason that registration was so horrible the past two years?

I know that last year they were still in the process of some extensive renovations at the convention center, so there were a number of facilities that were offline, etc.

With that being said, I don't think that there's any need to dig up old dirt. What's past is done, and now we can embrace the new registration system and hopefully put all of that behind us. :D

Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Xanreo

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 29, 2014, 01:41:50 PM
What's past is done, and now we can embrace the new registration system and hopefully put all of that behind us. :D

Just please shuffle the preprinted badges next year. My entire group of 20 got the same Elliot badge.
I don't mind waiting the extra 2 minutes now that registration is a snap. Thanks lol.  ;)

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Xanreo on May 29, 2014, 02:20:56 PM
Just please shuffle the preprinted badges next year. My entire group of 20 got the same Elliot badge.
I don't mind waiting the extra 2 minutes now that registration is a snap. Thanks lol.  ;)
WE WILL SEE.

Jk I will try to make this happen next year.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook