Nostalgia Room - Giant Robo Screening

Started by lolleroni, May 24, 2014, 11:35:14 PM

lolleroni

Dear Nostalgia Room Video Programmer(s),

Thanks so much for showing Giant Robo! This is one of my favorite animes of all time, and I was actually shocked that people other than myself enjoyed this enough to choose to show it here. It is definitely one of my nostalgia shows and it takes me way back. I own the series in VHS and DVD. The whole thing is even on youtube so I can watch it anytime! It might seem like a small thing, but I appreciated seeing it on the big screen, and I hope someone interested in it could enjoy it and maybe even watch the rest on their own time. I'd like that.

...And because I'm such a huge fan, I had a little qualm about it, and that was the dubbed version shown at the con. As you know, there are 2 different English dubs for this show, and the more recent NY dub removed a lot of the profanity and changed all the voice actors (afaik). I can't argue that this decision to show the NY version was better to increase the show's exposure to a wider range of people, but what I loved most about Giant Robo was the unforgettable voice acting from the original LA cast. I.e. Ivan had amazing personality and the accent was incredibly enjoyable during his monologues. Tetsugyu and Ginrei's exchanges were more natural and playful.

I am probably looking too much into this and sound like a hurtbutt nerd just because this is my favorite anime, but I figured that if anything was going to hook a viewer it would be the anime in its (what I consider) "best" form. To anyone who did try out Giant Robo or was looking to try it out, please check out the first dub of this film, as I personally think the LA voice acting was top notch!

Again, I'm incredibly thankful that you chose to play this show and I hope to see more great shows hosted at Fanime!

Sincerely,
A huge GR fan

InsaneDavid

I didn't stay for the GR screening after Mazinger Z but I agree with all your comments about the earlier dub track being the best way to watch this!  It just feels more grand all around.  Perhaps because the first dubbing is more or less a hidden audio option on the DVD release is why more people don't check it out?
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

the otaku god

I will get back to you on this either today or tomorrow still recovering
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.

the otaku god

ok I have recovered.

next time you watch a ser in the video rooms and it is about to start (or before) let them know what language you like to listen the anime too. we here know everyone likes there anime a certain way and we can put it to a vote in the room. if the person at the projector will not listen to you please ask for me (jerry Gonzales) and I will help the situation.   
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.