Fanime 2014 vibe (review?)

Started by 5QR47CH, May 26, 2014, 08:02:09 PM

5QR47CH

Let me preface this by stating that my anime knowledge and experience is slightly above n00b, but still quite minimal in comparison to the majority of the attendees of Fanime. That being said, this was the second time I attended Fanime, but the first time I did the entire event from Thursday to Monday. It was an incredible experience for me. I feel like I witnessed something truly special in life.

I was a total outcast growing up, all through school, and always felt socially awkward. It wasn't until I went to my first rave in 1999 that I felt like I belonged somewhere for the first time in my life. It was the first time I ever felt like I was around people who were just like me. The general acceptance and shared interest in everything was so foreign, yet incredibly amazing to me. That right there is something that I thought was lost and assumed I would never witness anything like that ever again... Until this weekend.

I watched so many people, of all ages, and all lifestyles, sharing a common ground. I watched all of these people smiling and enjoying themselves, and looking like they were all great friends who hadn't seen each other in years. I met people that were so fun to be around, it reminded me of what I saw 15 years ago. Regardless of what you're into, or not into, you were all cool as hell. I now have a gigantic list of things I need to check out and learn about, which I cannot wait to start on. I am a bit depressed that the convention is over because it was a reminder of a feeling I never wanted to end in the first place. I wanted to share this with this board because maybe others feel the same way. Maybe there are some that needed to hear or see this. Maybe this will remind someone of there first time and it will bring a smile to their face. Either way, whether it falls on deaf ears or not, I felt the need to share it.

I'm just happy that something exists like this, still. I've been feeling like life has lost all happiness lately. Sometimes it's nice to get cheesed out on life. If you stuck through this whole novel, thank you.

--------tl;dr--------
the con was cool... so many feels.

djmonolith

It's funny, I always think of Fanime the same way I think of my first raves.  Fanime is special as far as cons go.

Yeah, I have the usual Monday Blues.  As soon as the wonderful con world is over you feel sad.

Your post is cool... glad you had fun and hopefully I was one of the smiling faces you saw.  Fanime weekend is always special.  Next year you need to cosplay.  Deal?
This is my signature.

5QR47CH

You know, my friend I was with was harassing me all weekend to cosplay. Dressing up is not really my thing, but that doesn't mean I'm completely opposed to it.

I'm sure you were one of those people I saw smiling. It was fu**ing cool, man.

I actually want to try and DJ at one of the dances next year. That would be really cool.

Mod edit: its called a dance

PacificPikachu

I've been going to anime cons for more than 11 years now, and I still feel this way about them! It's wonderful to see so much joy in one place, and anime fans tend to be amazing people. I can't even tell you how many acts of kindness, unity, sheer joy, admiration, friendship, and compassion I've witnessed at cons throughout the years. (Of course, I've seen the negative sides, too, but those are less common, thankfully!)

I once lost my special edition Pikachu 3DS XL at a con, and it was returned to Lost and Found before I even noticed it was gone. Someone could have easily made a few hundred dollars off of it, but instead whoever found it decided to make sure it would get back to me safely. I've had many experiences like this.

Glad you had such an awesome time, and thanks for writing this post. It made me smile, and reminded me of how much Fanime means to so many thousands of different people. It really is something special! Hope to see you in 2015! :D