Video Programming feedback 2014

Started by the otaku god, May 27, 2014, 10:10:54 AM

the otaku god

Leave comments of praise or nays here for us please. Once again thanks for coming to FanimeCon and hanging out in our video rooms, we aim to please and I hope we did just that! see you all next year!!!
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.

InsaneDavid

Nostalgia Room was AWESOME this year, as usual!  I have always wanted to see a large format screening of 8 Man After as it's my favorite OVA and seeing it on the schedule was a tremendous surprise.  I was glad so many people were in the room Monday morning to watch it.  Out of production stuff like this should always be a huge draw for the nostalgia room.  On the other side of the coin thank you for featuring so many old school series which have been recently picked up and released by Discotek Media including Cutey Honey, Mazinger Z, Galaxy Express 999 (movies anyway - let's not talk about S'Mores Entertainment screwing up the series release), and Captain Harlock.  That people can watch an old school series they've never seen or haven't seen in years, and then be able to go and buy it, right now, at a fair price from a solid company and support the industry is wonderful.  Let's see Lily C.A.T. next year after Discotek re-releases that!

I had forgotten how good Area 88 was, again with a fairly full room in attendance.  Same for the 08th MS Team, again, early Monday morning.  Just a great mix of stuff this year!

For next year I would love to see one morning, maybe starting at 6am (because that's when they used to air) a three film block of the very first three anime films the Sci-Fi Channel aired all those years ago under the marquee "Adventures in Japanese Animation."  I can't think of a more nostalgic thing to show in the nostalgia room.  Those three titles are Robot Carnival, Lensman, and Vampire Hunter DVampire Hunter D is easy enough to find since it had such wide releases and re-releases over the years.  Robot Carnival had a restored 20th anniversary R2 DVD release years ago that had the full opening and ending (removed from the Streamline US release) as well as the Streamline dub tracks for the two shorts that feature dialogue - Presence and A Tale of Two Robots - as a hidden audio option.  This can be found online but I own the R2 release and could happily provide a disc swapped to R1.  Lensman is the tricky one...

The Lensman anime oddity began in Japan with the movie "SF Shinseki Lensman" (SF New Century Lensman) in 1984.  This was followed up by a TV series that began in the same year called "Galactic Patrol Lensman" that ran for twenty-five episodes.  The movie would be dubbed into English twice, first in 1988 and then in 1990.  The 1990 version being, more or less, a straight localization of the Japanese film with the Japanese music and sound effects left unaltered.  A few episodes of Galactic Patrol Lensman were chopped up, stitched together, rewritten and dubbed into English as "Lensman: Power of the Lens" which had a limited home video release.  What I'm talking about is the 1990 dub of SF Shinseki Lensman which is what aired on the former Sci-Fi Channel.  The 1988 dub is terrible, it's Carl Macek at his absolute worst, while his 1990 dub is the exact opposite.  The 1990 dub was released on LaserDisc and there is a rip out there but the audio balance is horrendous.  I acquired Lensman on LaserDisc earlier this year and I'm looking to make a better transfer for prosperity since it'll never be re-released due to the estate of Doc Smith being pissed off at how his Lensman source material was handled.  Maybe someone with more experience in LD ripping can get together with me and we could make Fanime 2015 the premier of a fresh rip of this nearly forgotten anime film.

Great work this year in the Nostalgia Room!  It's always one of my favorite parts of Fanime weekend.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

Amarok

I have to agree with the above person and say, kudos to the nostalgia room! It was a fantastic combo of old classics that I think a lot of people love and many more have never seen (but should!).

Also, unrelated but huge props to whoever picked out Yuusha Yoshihiko to show. I'd never heard of this show before and just popped in the room while it was playing to kill some time and had trouble dragging myself away (several episodes later...) because it was so funny and ridiculous. It's now at the top of my list of series to watch!

I have one minor complaint/suggestion, and that's that the only way to know whether a showing of something was dubbed or subbed was to go to the room and check it out in person while it was playing. I really wish there could've been some indication of what was a sub or dub--something as simple as a (S) or (D) at the end of a title in the programming guide would've been great! Or was each room only showing all dubs or all subs? I didn't see enough in any one room consecutively to know... If it was the case that each room was only showing one or the other, it would've been nice to have some way of knowing. I know that some people prefer dubs and some prefer subs, so if there's a way to tell what language something is in without having to go all the way there, it'd be fantastic and save a little time. :D

svatoid

Kudos, Jerry to you and your team on a great video program. Program was well run. Saw some good stuff that I was not aware of.  Only glitch I was aware of was one of the Crunchyroll presents programs in the Otaku Room (Log Horizon, I think) did not have english subtitles on the disc.  One small point, perhaps the projection people could make it a policy to skip through the end credits of the individual episodes . Most of them do it, but a few do not.

InsaneDavid

Quote from: svatoid on May 28, 2014, 07:26:27 AM
One small point, perhaps the projection people could make it a policy to skip through the end credits of the individual episodes . Most of them do it, but a few do not.

No way! OPs and EDs are some of the best parts of anime! :D  I was SO glad the staffer running 8 Man After on Monday morning let the disc run through the still frames at the end (which is where the part four credits would have run in the original OVA before it was compiled into a movie) to the little "after credits" teaser which would have set the OVAs up to spin off a new 8 Man series if it had generated enough interest.  Same with Cutey Honey - one of the longest anime series ending songs but it's such an integral part of the series and was allowed to run each time.
I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

svatoid

insane David- agree that with a movie they should run the end credits. I think the reason they cut off the end credits on episodes is for time. They are trying to show 5 episodes in 2 hours. If the episode is more than 24 minutes, you start running late.

XeroRain

I really didn't like the video programming schedule for this year, last year was better, It was filled with over rated/popular anime that everyone already watched millions of times.... You guys had access to crunchy roll which has tons of new anime this season, I was hoping you'd guys at least show No Game No Life or a few other new additions.
2014/2015: Cosplaying as Ludger from Tales of Xillia 2
2016: Garry from Ib
2017: Gaius from Fire Emblem (wip)

Mango Bunny

My only complaint is that I watched Fist of the North Star one night. I wandered back to it another night and it seemed to be the last episode, which was an entire series recap. I would rather see episodes from the beginning or even middle, but I basically saw a recap of everything. I sort of thought the idea of video rooms was in part to give people series to watch, but playing a recap of the entire thing kind of defeats that purpose. We went back another night anyway, and it was the same episode as the first night we went! D'oh! I'd like to see more episodes rather than repeat the same ones if that is possible.

Mordyan

I have been a big fan of the video rooms for some time.

First kudos to the room techs who waited to the correct time to start. I always hated missing the beginning of a program because they started early.

That said I had a couple issues this year.

Two different movies cut off because of bad content scheduling:
First was the Phoenix Wright movie which only had the credit sequence cut off (maybe 5 minutes). Unfortunately the movie continues to run all the way to the end under the credits, so some wrap up scenes were lost. Someone turned off the film and said we had to get out so they could get ready for Midnight Hentai. There should have been a buffer between the events.

The other bad choice in scheduling was starting Antique at 2:30 on Monday and then kicking us out at 4:00 so we missed the last 20 minutes of the film. It is 105 minutes run time so it should never had been started if that was going to be the case. Plus Antique was 2 separate files and the room attendant didn't load the second one in the play list so the first half started over and we had to get his attention to change it.

Minor issues:
Accurate start times next to the video listings would be great. The grid is hard to tell sometimes when something starts. The Asian Film room had times posted and that was awesome.

What happened to video descriptions? They weren't in the program or even posted on the boards outside the rooms. I more than once explained what an anime was about to someone checking the info boards.

The multiple formats that are used in the rooms often make it difficult for the room techs. An example was the Phoenix Wright film that was started in the Apple player but would not show the English subtitles unless it was loaded in VLC.

Not an issue just a suggestion:
What about automating the process? Another large con that I go to with 6+ 24 hour video rooms has everything automated with count down screens telling what the next program is and when it starts. No room attendants, just a desk outside the rooms manned 24 hours in case there is an issue.

Otherwise I enjoyed what I saw. And I always enjoy taking a break from the con by grabbing a chair in the video rooms and watching some cool shows.

the otaku god

I want to let u know I am listening to all your comments so keep posting them. I will reply later to them. thanks so much for making this one of the most successful years for video programming. almost all the programming we screened was packed to the brim and was sometimes so full we had to turn away people.

thanks for such a great year!! now its time to work on next year.
is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? at least it is true that man has no control, even over his own destiny.

frumpy

I'm so proud of my protege... brings tears to my eyes. ;D ;D
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

JJULLER

So what is to become of the hentai room at after hours? I hated last years because the just showed the last shit the did the previous year.