Problem with MJ Anime Goods dealer

Started by Sapphire, May 27, 2014, 10:27:40 PM

Sapphire

So I heard that at Fanime 2014, there was an issue with MJ Anime Goods trying to sell a poster of fanart, and the artist was even there at Fanime. Even though MJ Anime Goods was saying they weren't trying to sell it (but it seemed that was a load of BS).

In short, I just don't really want to see MJ Anime Goods allowed into the dealer's hall at fanime, or swap meet. Since, I do believe that the person who runs MJ Anime Goods has actually sold their merchandise at swap meet before, and they obviously do not have used items.

And another thing, I saw posters for sale that had been FOLDED. You do NOT do that to a poster you are trying to sell without slashing the price in half. Because who wants to buy a folded poster for $50? Not me, that's for sure. I have bought posters for as low as $2 because they're just pieces of paper, geez. Oh, a handling fee included in price? You don't have to sell this stuff you know. You're also adding in tax, so yeah.

So, yeah, I honestly feel like they do not have very good morals when it comes to their selling. They're just trying to make a lot of money off of unsuspecting anime lovers. Either they shouldn't be allowed to sell at fanime or everyone needs to boycott them.

So unless someone can prove that this kind of thing isn't true about them, that's my opinion on them.

Amanojaku

Do you have a picture of them?  I honestly can't remember who they were.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

Dajoo

Quote from: Sapphire on May 27, 2014, 10:27:40 PM
So I heard that at Fanime 2014, there was an issue with MJ Anime Goods trying to sell a poster of fanart, and the artist was even there at Fanime. Even though MJ Anime Goods was saying they weren't trying to sell it (but it seemed that was a load of BS).

In short, I just don't really want to see MJ Anime Goods allowed into the dealer's hall at fanime, or swap meet. Since, I do believe that the person who runs MJ Anime Goods has actually sold their merchandise at swap meet before, and they obviously do not have used items.

And another thing, I saw posters for sale that had been FOLDED. You do NOT do that to a poster you are trying to sell without slashing the price in half. Because who wants to buy a folded poster for $50? Not me, that's for sure. I have bought posters for as low as $2 because they're just pieces of paper, geez. Oh, a handling fee included in price? You don't have to sell this stuff you know. You're also adding in tax, so yeah.

So, yeah, I honestly feel like they do not have very good morals when it comes to their selling. They're just trying to make a lot of money off of unsuspecting anime lovers. Either they shouldn't be allowed to sell at fanime or everyone needs to boycott them.

So unless someone can prove that this kind of thing isn't true about them, that's my opinion on them.

I'm just trying to get some more information. Did you witness the fanart poster issue or just hear about it?

I provide a list of names of our vendors and their support teams to swap meet so we can crack down on Dealers at the Swap Meet. Some do slip through but we are always looking and trying to prevent unfair business practices.

The posters that were folded that I saw came from magazines like Megami. These were not folded by MJ Anime Goods, but by the actual maker. In a supply and demand economy it is fair to charge $50 for a poster that you can't get else where regardless of the cost of supplies that made it. It is more of a matter of you don't have to buy this stuff then "you don't have to sell this stuff."
Dealers Head       2012-2016
Item Check Head  2014
Dealers Staff        2009-2011
Vid Staff              2005-2008

Exhibits Staff AOD 2014-20 ??? ???

Dajoo

I have just heard back from the Dealer in question.

She told me there was the fanart poster, but it was a mistake. She had bought it a previous con and put it in a poster flat behind another poster to protect it. The poster was intended for her own personal collection. The poster that was intended to be sold, was and this exposed the fanart poster making it look as if she intended to sell it as well.

The fan art poster was not sold during the course of the con by MJ Anime Goods. This is not the first time something like this has happened at Fanime. I advise all our dealers, especially those handling wall scrolls and posters to double check their stock.
Dealers Head       2012-2016
Item Check Head  2014
Dealers Staff        2009-2011
Vid Staff              2005-2008

Exhibits Staff AOD 2014-20 ??? ???

ewu

This issue is being addressed internally in accordance with the Fanime dealers agreement and established policies. Thank you for your comments.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom