2014 Closing Ceremonies Recap

Started by Admiral Donuts, May 28, 2014, 10:06:26 AM

Admiral Donuts

Here are some points I picked up from the closing ceremonies:

The current chairs have finished their run, next year's chair will be Will Warriner [chair six years ago] co-chair will be Eric Wu, aka ewu.

The new hotel process that was dropped this year, the one requiring a badge to get a room, may be implemented next year. A decision is yet to be made.

The theme for next year will be "mythology". There was nothing more said about it, but I'm guessing it's along the lines of Greek and Roman mythology. Toga party, anyone?

Mod edit: chair history, cuz i can:) and try Japanese Mythology:)

Kuudere

Congrats, Ewu! It's great knowing that we'll have someone who is very visible on the forums helping run things now, so here's to hoping that communication is improved by this change!

I'm kind of hoping the hotel thing does get implemented (with special arrangements for AA and dealers, etc.). Badged members should get priority over people who ghost the con. It just needs to be worked out months in advance so that people are well-prepared.

The_Only_BlackGuyin_Anime

Awesome Fanime! I have been going to Fanime since 2007 and I have to say this was by far the best one that I have been to in a long while. I liked the Hotel situation. Made it easy for people that actually bought a ticket to Fanime priority to book rooms, which was a problem in the past. Not so keen on the price hicks every year though year it stayed the same as 2013, I remember the days were I could get a weekend pass for $35. There were a lot of complaints about the cluster **** that was the dealer hall and artist alley, honestly I had no problem with it, its been like that for years, but I could see why people get annoyed with it. Was slightly disappointed with the selection of Panels they had this year, but nothing to rant about really.Lastly there is no more LINECON (At least this year there wasn't) I hope they keep that up in 2015.
*Link Removed*

ewu

Thanks!:) but unfortunately, I can see my involvement be much more decreased as I get more involved in my vicechair role. Obviously, I will not have the kind of bandwidth I do now, but also it would be inappropriate to speak on behalf of other staff members unless specifically asked of me.

See you all on the flipside!

Quote from: Kuudere on May 28, 2014, 10:41:31 AM
Congrats, Ewu! It's great knowing that we'll have someone who is very visible on the forums helping run things now, so here's to hoping that communication is improved by this change!

I'm kind of hoping the hotel thing does get implemented (with special arrangements for AA and dealers, etc.). Badged members should get priority over people who ghost the con. It just needs to be worked out months in advance so that people are well-prepared.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Tony

Does that mean I have to resume my tyranny here on the boards?
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Steve.Young

Quote from: Tony on May 30, 2014, 10:50:43 AM

Yes, Eric took over the tyranny when you became chair. Time to switch back ;)
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Kuudere

Quote from: ewu on May 29, 2014, 07:21:24 PM
Thanks!:) but unfortunately, I can see my involvement be much more decreased as I get more involved in my vicechair role. Obviously, I will not have the kind of bandwidth I do now, but also it would be inappropriate to speak on behalf of other staff members unless specifically asked of me.

See you all on the flipside!

Ah, well I guess that's to be expected. Either way, with the amount of dedication you've shown year-round here on the forums, it'll be great to see what you and the chair come up with for next year. I'm rooting for you guys!

Haha...please do. I've missed your postings.

FanFicGuru

I, for one, welcome the arrival of our message board overlords.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

otakuya

Mythology theme? Aww... I wanted it to be a Vegas theme, since Fanime will be 21

Angelx624

Good to hear that ewu and others are returning for next year!

And so the hotel process of requiring a badge might return? Well I just hope my group is prepared for that cause I'm gonna be doing my "Running Panels and getting badge at-con for panelist discounts" routine again next year.

As for the Mythology theme..... oh dear...... I'm stumped on that one(ok maybe not as stumped as I thought but that'll be quite an..... interesting theme for next year.....)

(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Angelx624 on June 09, 2014, 07:50:24 AM
And so the hotel process of requiring a badge might return? Well I just hope my group is prepared for that cause I'm gonna be doing my "Running Panels and getting badge at-con for panelist discounts" routine again next year.

Yes, Eric said it's still up for decision. I agree, the people it'll affect most are panelists who need a hotel room and benefit from the discount. It seems kinda archaic that the system won't support it when it does support it for volunteers.

Barnes

If you want to, sir  ;D
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes