Questions for Swap Meet 2015?

Started by Ivycat, January 04, 2015, 04:05:49 PM

Ivycat

I have not been to Fanime for 2 years, but I'm back and want to sell my items. So my questions are is there still a sign up day like before where I put my name down or first come, first serve? Any new rules that I should know about? Like what we can and can not bring or do? I can't think of anymore, so thank you for your time.

Hachimitsu

there is a sign up and it is first come first serve.. but as of now there is NO known information fact about swap meet..

Last year swap meet was made 1 week before fanime! and we are soo lucky to have swap meet appear last year!

FanFicGuru

You may want to check out the FAQ from last year's swap meet:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19029.0.html

As a last minute staff member for swap meet last year, I can't say much has changed drastically except for the location, and the assignment process. It used to be that the spots were first-come, first serve, but they are now randomly assigned to prevent combining spaces into a "super-space" and to prevent vendors from abusing the swap meet.

Also, the location is always a work in progress. I think every year we get great feedback on where it is and how we can improve access...last year's swap meet (in case you missed it) had GIGANTIC lines. Line-con wasn't at registration, it was at swap meet. As for this year, we'll just have to see.

We look forward to seeing you!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Hachimitsu

actually it also happened in artist alley registration so.. that too isn't the only line con!!!!!

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 08, 2015, 05:27:46 PM
You may want to check out the FAQ from last year's swap meet:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19029.0.html

As a last minute staff member for swap meet last year, I can't say much has changed drastically except for the location, and the assignment process. It used to be that the spots were first-come, first serve, but they are now randomly assigned to prevent combining spaces into a "super-space" and to prevent vendors from abusing the swap meet.

Also, the location is always a work in progress. I think every year we get great feedback on where it is and how we can improve access...last year's swap meet (in case you missed it) had GIGANTIC lines. Line-con wasn't at registration, it was at swap meet. As for this year, we'll just have to see.

We look forward to seeing you!

warbearer

I hope it's not the same area as last year or 2013 since I did pretty bad in 2013 and a lot worse in 2014.

Michi

Last year was the first time I didn't do swap meet in several years in a row of always doing it at Fanime. I was at a pre-scheduled dinner with bad reception when reg went up and mine didn't get through. :( Hopefully this year I won't have any weird conflicts! I miss selling! But I also hope that it isn't LineCon 2015. :(

I wouldn't mind it going back to the Fairmont. (Especially because that's my hotel. :p) I surely miss it when it was in the gaming room but I guess that just isn't an option anymore.
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Michi on March 13, 2015, 12:27:28 PM
Last year was the first time I didn't do swap meet in several years in a row of always doing it at Fanime. I was at a pre-scheduled dinner with bad reception when reg went up and mine didn't get through. :( Hopefully this year I won't have any weird conflicts! I miss selling! But I also hope that it isn't LineCon 2015. :(

I wouldn't mind it going back to the Fairmont. (Especially because that's my hotel. :p) I surely miss it when it was in the gaming room but I guess that just isn't an option anymore.

The game room setup was pretty awesome, but yeah that's not really an option. We're looking forward to making swap meet another amazing event this year, and I honestly think it's because of the faithful attendees that it's one of the best parts of the con! More information will be forthcoming. :)
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Zelyhon

Quote from: Michi on March 13, 2015, 12:27:28 PM

Rest assured, we know some of the problems that last year faced.  Some of them were our fault, some were based on other restrictions we couldn't do anything about (see: fire code).  We are taking the feedback from last year into account.

Also, there is now an official Swap Meet 2015 thread that I will try to keep updated with Swap Meet information as it becomes finalized/in case anything changes.

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,19894.0.html

To address one of the things that has been asked here before, and is one of the major changes this year, Swap Meet 2015 will be held in South Hall, not the Civic Auditorium, the Fairmont, or one of the Exhibit Halls in the Convention Center as it has been in previous years.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff