Fanime 2015 Cosplay-Props-Weapons Policy

Started by FinalStar02, March 01, 2015, 12:07:24 PM

FinalStar02

Quote from: Navashuryn on March 31, 2015, 09:29:06 PM
Hi, I was wondering if a plastic spear would be an acceptable prop for a cosplay, or if there would be a way I could make it comply (like make the tip out of foam). I was looking at something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Costume-Accessory-Navi-Spear/dp/B003O68R2K/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1427853894&sr=1-1&keywords=toy+spear

The spear is ok, just make sure its not sharp. If its sharp, then please file it down. Otherwise, you will be ok.
2015 Rovers Department Head
Always Remember To Have Fun

FinalStar02

Quote from: glorificus on April 02, 2015, 05:01:14 PM
Hello, I am cosplaying as tank girl and was wondering if this gun would be okay, as long as I painted the tip? It's made completely out of resin and has no firing parts 

I am sorry, but that is too realistic for the convention. I recommend that you make something like the video suggested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktvh3jYBkk

FinalStar02

Quote from: itsroutine on April 03, 2015, 08:52:11 AM
The rules are VERY specific about not dressing as US military/law enforcement.

What about other nations?  My crew wants to go as a Russian fireteam inspired by the Battlefield videogames.  Aside from guns, are we good to go?

I am sorry but that kind of Military Dress is not allowed. While the rules do specifically says American Military, without that Russian flag, someone would be unable to tell those apart from a US Military uniform.

FinalStar02

Quote from: dammit_jill on April 11, 2015, 10:58:07 AM
Hello

I am dressing up as a character from persona 3. I had this Evoker water gun from japan for awhile and not plannin on not using it to shoot water of course!

However it looked a lot more realistic than i realize. Wondering what you all think if it'll fly for peace bonding or just leave it at home?

Alright, I am actually ok with the look, but there are 2 conditions. 1: It needs an bright safety color on the tip to distinguish it as a prop (also if you're whiling, you can paint the grip that color too). 2: It would need to be non-functioning as a water gun. I would remove the trigger since you're not allowed to have any moving parts.

Navashuryn

Quote from: FinalStar02 on April 14, 2015, 07:58:44 PMThe spear is ok, just make sure its not sharp. If its sharp, then please file it down. Otherwise, you will be ok.
Thank you very much! I am pretty sure the tip is just plain old plastic, but I won't know until I actually get it. I'll make sure to get rid of any sharp and/or pointy bits before the con. :)

KuriQueenofFeels

I just have a quick question. I'm making a Flint Lock Pistol replica that is similar to this one: http://royalarmouriesshop.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/barber-pistols.jpg
for my Anne Bonny cosplay from Assassin's Creed. The entire base of it is made of foam board, and the will be covered in craft foam and painted to look realistic as I can manage.
However, I was wondering if I'm allowed to put Aluminum Sheeting on the side panels where the intricate designs are so I could engrave them instead of having to try and carve into some foam. I don't remember exactly the gage of the aluminum sheet I have is, but its very thin and malleable, and I'd make sure the edges where hidden/not sharp.
Cosplay Lineup 2017
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret
Friday: Death Scene Dress
Saturday: Kingsglaive
Monday: Casual Short Dress

Sunday: Vaporeon, with group

icingtea

Hi, I didn't see anything mentioned about swords made of wood but I want to make sure. Would something like this be acceptable? Thanks :)
http://www.amazon.com/Exclusive-2-Piece-Samurai-Warrior-Sword/dp/B0011U9QYO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1429386242&sr=8-12&keywords=katana+toy#Ask

FinalStar02

Quote from: KuriQueenofFeels on April 18, 2015, 10:34:22 PM
I just have a quick question. I'm making a Flint Lock Pistol replica that is similar to this one: http://royalarmouriesshop.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/barber-pistols.jpg
for my Anne Bonny cosplay from Assassin's Creed. The entire base of it is made of foam board, and the will be covered in craft foam and painted to look realistic as I can manage.
However, I was wondering if I'm allowed to put Aluminum Sheeting on the side panels where the intricate designs are so I could engrave them instead of having to try and carve into some foam. I don't remember exactly the gage of the aluminum sheet I have is, but its very thin and malleable, and I'd make sure the edges where hidden/not sharp.

Sounds like you are covering all the bases. As long as no part of the metal you are using could be called a "blade" and anything sharp is internal or covered, you should be fine. Please remember to bring it by peacebonding when you get to Con.

PS, since its a gun prop, dont forget the orange tip.

FinalStar02

Quote from: icingtea on April 20, 2015, 01:29:44 PM
Hi, I didn't see anything mentioned about swords made of wood but I want to make sure. Would something like this be acceptable? Thanks :)
http://www.amazon.com/Exclusive-2-Piece-Samurai-Warrior-Sword/dp/B0011U9QYO/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1429386242&sr=8-12&keywords=katana+toy#Ask

We do not have a rule against wooden swords, just make sure you not swing them around. Like always, please stop by peacebonding when you get to Con.

Bakaheichou

Where is the peace bonding staton located and when can I get my weapon bonded (is day 0 ok)? Also, is there a chance that a 6' scythe made of foam and a PVC pipe be approved? It isn't too heavy or anything.

ShikiIchijo

I read that a bow is okay. Is a real stringed bow alright? I am stringing an old now that used to just shoot suction cupped arrows. It's not powerful. I'm using a thick string so I can't even knock an arrow. I will also not be carrying an arrow. Just in my quiver but those will be glued to the bottom and are just dowel rods with no ends.

I just want to clarify that it will be fine before I start painting my bow red.
Cosplay 2017:
Lucifer - Supernatural
Yukine - Noragami
Khadgar - Warcraft
Newt Scamander - Harry Potter
Harry Potter - Harry Potter
Big Mac - My Little Pony

FinalStar02

Quote from: Bakaheichou on April 25, 2015, 06:15:20 PM
Where is the peace bonding staton located and when can I get my weapon bonded (is day 0 ok)? Also, is there a chance that a 6' scythe made of foam and a PVC pipe be approved? It isn't too heavy or anything.

There are 2 Peacebonding stations. One is in the Hilton, 2nd Floor, Santa Clara Room. There will be a sign near the elevators. The other is in the center on the convention center, near the escalators on the 1st floor. Both of these stations should open around 7am Friday.

A 6 Foot Scythe will most likely me ok given the materials. Make sure it fits through a standard doorway. Also when you carrying it, make sure to carry it straight up and down. I will suggest given its sign you have a friend around to make it doesn't hit anyone.

FinalStar02

Quote from: ShikiIchijo on April 26, 2015, 08:12:33 PM
I read that a bow is okay. Is a real stringed bow alright? I am stringing an old now that used to just shoot suction cupped arrows. It's not powerful. I'm using a thick string so I can't even knock an arrow. I will also not be carrying an arrow. Just in my quiver but those will be glued to the bottom and are just dowel rods with no ends.

I am not sure where you read that, but unfortunately, you can not bring a real bow, or even a toy bow. If it was designed to shoot projectiles, it is not allowed.

Here is a link to the official FanimeCon Props Policy http://www.fanime.com/code-of-conduct/weapons-policy/

If you wouldn't mind, where did you read that Bows are ok?

Silent Vengeance

Quote from: FinalStar02 on April 27, 2015, 04:19:53 PM
Quote from: ShikiIchijo on April 26, 2015, 08:12:33 PM

I am not sure where you read that, but unfortunately, you can not bring a real bow, or even a toy bow. If it was designed to shoot projectiles, it is not allowed.

Here is a link to the official FanimeCon Props Policy http://www.fanime.com/code-of-conduct/weapons-policy/

If you wouldn't mind, where did you read that Bows are ok?

Quote from: FinalStar02 on March 01, 2015, 12:08:27 PM

Can I carry my bow & arrows?
If the bow has absolutely no tension to be able to fire something, and the arrows have no tips, then yes, we can let you carry it. Real bows have an ability to fire something, and are considered functional projectile weapons. To carry a "real" bow you'd have to string it with something which could not be tensioned to fire anything.

Shinichigo Shiro (Danganronpa)

Mythal

Will there be any peace bonding stations at Clockwork Alchemy? I was planning on picking up my badge there and figured it'd be easier to get my prop peace bonded there instead of going to Fanime.

FinalStar02

Quote from: FinalStar02 on March 01, 2015, 12:08:27 PM
Can I carry my bow & arrows?
If the bow has absolutely no tension to be able to fire something, and the arrows have no tips, then yes, we can let you carry it. Real bows have an ability to fire something, and are considered functional projectile weapons. To carry a "real" bow you'd have to string it with something which could not be tensioned to fire anything.

As that section says, the bow must not be able to hold tension, which is what I said about real bows and toy bows that would be strung.

FinalStar02

Quote from: Mythal on April 27, 2015, 08:03:24 PM
Will there be any peace bonding stations at Clockwork Alchemy? I was planning on picking up my badge there and figured it'd be easier to get my prop peace bonded there instead of going to Fanime.

There is typically a Fanime Peacebonding station run by Clockwork Alchemy, at the Double Tree, but I haven't had the pleasure of attending so I could not speak to where it is, sorry.

Mythal

Quote from: FinalStar02 on April 28, 2015, 05:07:12 PM

There is typically a Fanime Peacebonding station run by Clockwork Alchemy, at the Double Tree, but I haven't had the pleasure of attending so I could not speak to where it is, sorry.
Alright! I think I'll see if I can change my pick up location to Fanime and the SJCC then so I can get my prop peace bonded after picking up my badge. Thanks for the reply! :)

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Mythal on April 29, 2015, 12:56:00 PM
Alright! I think I'll see if I can change my pick up location to Fanime and the SJCC then so I can get my prop peace bonded after picking up my badge. Thanks for the reply! :)

You don't really NEED to change your pickup location, I understand they use that to track expected pick-ups, but both pick-up stations can print off your badge.

aetherltd

Yes, there will be a peace-bonding station at Clockwork Alchemy, and peace-bonding there is valid for Fanime. (I asked the CA con chair). Ask any of the Bobbies (CA's Rovers) or at any info desk for directions.