SWAP MEET Official Information Thread: REGISTRATION IS OPEN

Started by Zelyhon, March 17, 2015, 11:42:21 PM

Zelyhon

Hello, Fanime Forums users.  I am Ben Levy, your head of Swap Meet this year.  As we are getting ever closer to the convention, I wanted to make sure there was/will be a centralized location for everyone to get their Swap Meet information in a timely manner.  Last year, it seemed like distribution of information was a bit of a problem, so hopefully this will be a good centralized place to get some information out.  There will be other places that things are put out, such as official Fanime publications or the Fanime twitter or other places like that, but I'll be working to try and make sure that the info is all reposted here for any who might miss those.

So, Swap Meet preparations are underway.  Let me assure you all that we have heard some of the complaints and feedback from last year and are working to try and alleviate those concerns.  We're still nailing a good number of things down, but here is some information that can be shared right now.  This post will be edited as more details are finalized.

-SWAP MEET REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN.  PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW.

http://apps.fanime.com/2015/swapmeet/

-Fanime Swap Meet 2015 will be held in SOUTH HALL.  That's the big tent-like building behind the convention center.  Go out the East side of the convention center (the Marriott side) and take a right.  Last year, there was a restriction against using South Hall past 10:00 p.m., but that has been dealt with for this year, since we won't be blaring loud music or using megaphones or anything like that.  Thus, the curfew that meant we couldn't use it last year is no longer a factor.  Speaking of hours past 10:00 p.m...

-Swap Meet 2015 will be held on Thursday, May 21 from 7:30 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. and on Friday, May 22 from 8:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
-Check in for Sellers will begin an hour to an hour and a half before Swap Meet.

-Swap Meet spaces will be $40 per day per space. 
-Swap Meet spaces will be 14 feet wide by 6 feet deep.
-Swap Meet will have 192 total spaces available.

-The exact number of spots and the dimensions of the spots are all still in the process of being finalized.  What I can say is that, at this point, it looks like there will be more spaces available than last year and that spaces will be larger than last year.  However, since details are still being finalized, this is still tentative.  Considering the size we were working with last year, though, I feel fairly confident that South Hall will allow us to do both of those things.

-The Swap Meet seller's agreement and rules have been finalized and will be available to people after they register online.  The rules are mostly unchanged from last year.  The full text of the guidelines can be found on the Events page for Fanime:
http://www.fanime.com/events/

-Also, with regards to the seller's agreement, please remember to have the agreement filled out and signed by all parties before coming to the convention.  There might, might be copies there, but to ensure an orderly and speedy check-in, it will help you to have your seller's agreement finalized.  If it's not, you may need to go to the back of the line and fill it out so that others who came more prepared can check in smoothly.

-The registration process is in the works.  It is my hope (but, again, not locked down yet) that we will use the same system as last year.  I know that a good number of people had difficulty signing up, and that there was confusion about the date signups were to begin.  We are working on these issues to hopefully have it up earlier and run more smoothly than last year.  When we lock down the process and the date enrollment will open, that information will be posted in this thread and updated on this post.

I believe that is all I have for now.  I will do my best to update this post and to post further in the thread to draw attention to changes.  For now, though, I'd like to throw this thread open to any questions or comments you may have regarding Swap Meet that we can hopefully answer or address prior to enrollment and/or the convention starting.

Edited to include restriction on amplified sound.
Edited to include dimension and number of spots.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Ecchi ja Nai

I think this may very well be the single most exciting post on the entire forum.  Using the South Hall AND being allowed to stay until 12/1am?  Uh, yes please.

That $40 per spot is rather painful, though.  I guess if the plan is to make each space larger than last year, hopefully back to the 10'x10' we were getting a few years back, we wind up paying the same amount per square foot.

Man, if only swap meet reg was open, and I was able to confirm a spot for myself, and we could request our location in the hall, AND it cost less than $40... well, I think that would just about be the best thing ever.

Acey Arisen

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on March 18, 2015, 02:40:26 AMThat $40 per spot is rather painful, though.
Agreed wholeheartedly. 40 bucks is exorbitant.
My Tumblr
Planned 2016 cosplays: Amethyst (SU), God Tier Roxy (HS), Summer (Rick And Morty), Ebony Dark'Ness Dementia Raven Way (My Immortal)

FanFicGuru

Hello there Swap Meet attendees, just wanted to take the opportunity to peek in and say hello as well.

My name is Jeremy Snow and I'll be co-chairing the Swap Meet division along with Ben. I've been attending fanime for approximately 10 years now and have been a regular at swap meet for the same amount of time. I share Ben's commitment to get information out in a prompt manner and as clear/concise as possible.

I look forward to working with you/seeing you at swap meet!  ;D
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Ivycat

I want to know if there is a list of what we can or can not bring? Is non-anime items allowed? I have Funko Pops!, blind boxes/bags, some super hero items, and non-anime related video games with me.

Zelyhon

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on March 18, 2015, 02:40:26 AM
I think this may very well be the single most exciting post on the entire forum.  Using the South Hall AND being allowed to stay until 12/1am?  Uh, yes please.

That $40 per spot is rather painful, though.  I guess if the plan is to make each space larger than last year, hopefully back to the 10'x10' we were getting a few years back, we wind up paying the same amount per square foot.

Man, if only swap meet reg was open, and I was able to confirm a spot for myself, and we could request our location in the hall, AND it cost less than $40... well, I think that would just about be the best thing ever.
Well, hopefully we'll be able to start ticking things off your list of wishes in the not too distant future.  Unfortunately, the cost is locked in so that one won't be able to be fulfilled from the wish list, but based on my math, you'll still be getting more area for your dollar than last year, even if the final size is not 10' by 10'.

Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Zelyhon

Quote from: Ivycat on March 18, 2015, 07:28:20 PM
I want to know if there is a list of what we can or can not bring? Is non-anime items allowed? I have Funko Pops!, blind boxes/bags, some super hero items, and non-anime related video games with me.
We're still working on the final list of things you can't bring to sell.  Pretty much everything you mentioned should be okay to bring.  The majority of what is probably going to be on the finalized list are things like food, actual weapons, bootlegs, and stuff like that.  Funko things, superhero items, and non-anime video games are all okay and have been sold in previous years.  Blind bags and boxes, though, are an issue.  By their very nature, we wouldn't be able to check them to make sure that there's nothing in there that's on the list of things not to sell.  That presents a pretty huge logistical problem.  My advice would be to leave the blind boxes and bags off the list, but most of the rest should pass muster.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Michi

Hoo-boy. $40. I hope those spaces are big!  :P I think this may be the first year I'm not sharing, too. Plus side I get to use all the space to fully show off my goods, downside is I have to eat that cost on my own...

But great news on the location announcement!! Thank you for the update!
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

ash

Best location ever! I'm so excited that I don't even care about the price increase.

Admiral Donuts

I am happy with the location change. Lots of space for sellers AND buyers. Hopefully no LineCon 2014.

Last year's spaces were 9' x 4' for $30, or 60 cents a square foot. For $40, the space just needs to be 66 square feet for the same cost:space ratio. Of course, that's not the only thing that goes into cost consideration...

RoyalSlothCos

This new spot sounds amazing and I love the times! Like many others have said; hopefully no linecon- -but this time I (and a few friends) will be selling instead of buying.

I was wondering if it's possible to put four people on the seller's agreement/seller's permit? That way two of us can work the first night then the other two work the second night.
Fanime 2015 cosplay;
Luka Megurine (Seven Deadly Sins - Lust)-Friday
Pyrrha (RWBY)-Saturday
Navi/Proxi (LOZ: OoT/Hyrule Warriors)-Sunday
Yumoto Hakone (Bouei-bu - School uniform)-Monday
GoT style dress (cold nights only)

Making;
Juan (RWBY (for a friend)

Anon

Quote from: queeniesloth on March 22, 2015, 11:53:14 AM
This new spot sounds amazing and I love the times! Like many others have said; hopefully no linecon- -but this time I (and a few friends) will be selling instead of buying.

I was wondering if it's possible to put four people on the seller's agreement/seller's permit? That way two of us can work the first night then the other two work the second night.

usually when signing up and filling out the forms, you're filling out for each day anyways, so your situation kind of sorts itself out (unless you're looking to put both reserve spots under a single person's name)

As much as I would love to maybe help out on staff, I kind of need to sell at the swap meet this year to fund myself for the rest of the con.

Zelyhon

Quote from: queeniesloth on March 22, 2015, 11:53:14 AM

As Anon mentioned, but I just want to confirm, each day will be a separate application, seller's permit, and seller's agreement.  The way to make your plan work would be to have one person sign up for one day (and put the other seller for the first day on that seller's agreement) and have another person sign up for the second day (and put the fourth person on their seller's agreement).

One slight change to the rules from last year:  Due to the location, amplified sound is not going to be allowed.  That's part of what is letting us go past the curfew.  This means that we staff don't have our megaphone (so sad), but more relevant for all of you is that no speakers or other amplified sound will be allowed during the Swap Meet.  I know that this doesn't affect the vast majority of booths, but it might have a major impact on a few others.  In past years, people have brought speakers or other equipment to play music out loud at Swap Meet, but to avoid confusion and potential problems with that being interpreted by some as "amplified sound", we won't be able to allow that this year.  If you are planning to sell CDs at Swap Meet and were thinking of using speakers to demonstrate what the sound is, your best bet would be to get a set of headphones to still let the customers try before they buy.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

RoyalSlothCos

Thank you so very much Anon and Zelyhon for the information! It's nice to hear that it can be worked out so well.
I can't wait to sell at the swap meet for the first time~!  ;D
Fanime 2015 cosplay;
Luka Megurine (Seven Deadly Sins - Lust)-Friday
Pyrrha (RWBY)-Saturday
Navi/Proxi (LOZ: OoT/Hyrule Warriors)-Sunday
Yumoto Hakone (Bouei-bu - School uniform)-Monday
GoT style dress (cold nights only)

Making;
Juan (RWBY (for a friend)

GamerscloseT

Hello staff and fellow sellers, just wanted to say a few things. First off I'm happy that were getting a bigger spot this year around. previous years it felt like our spots were getting smaller depending on location. I hope in future time, swap meet will have a steady spot. Also like a few others that mentioned about the space being 40 a night,its does hurt but we got to work with it. I've been selling 3 years strong at the swap, to me its the best part of the con. Not just the selling but environment wise, like you can easily have a conversation with anyone because we all share the same passion. But that's just me, I cant speak for everyone. The other issue I'm saddened with is not being able to play music. I know this doesn't apply to all the sellers but for the few of us who do play music. I can understand Thursday but Friday as well? I know its mutual for staff as well, being that you cant use the megaphone. At least were in the same boat. Just wanted to share some thoughts out there. So thank you staff for doing your part for us sellers as well as the attendees, I hope everything goes smooth this year for everyone.

itselguapo

Is this only gonna be on thursday and friday?
Kinda lame if that happens... I'd love to check this out.

Zelyhon

Quote from: GamerscloseT on March 23, 2015, 03:45:05 PM
Hello staff and fellow sellers, just wanted to say a few things. First off I'm happy that were getting a bigger spot this year around. previous years it felt like our spots were getting smaller depending on location. I hope in future time, swap meet will have a steady spot. Also like a few others that mentioned about the space being 40 a night,its does hurt but we got to work with it. I've been selling 3 years strong at the swap, to me its the best part of the con. Not just the selling but environment wise, like you can easily have a conversation with anyone because we all share the same passion. But that's just me, I cant speak for everyone. The other issue I'm saddened with is not being able to play music. I know this doesn't apply to all the sellers but for the few of us who do play music. I can understand Thursday but Friday as well? I know its mutual for staff as well, being that you cant use the megaphone. At least were in the same boat. Just wanted to share some thoughts out there. So thank you staff for doing your part for us sellers as well as the attendees, I hope everything goes smooth this year for everyone.
It's part of the price for using South Hall, unfortunately.  I know people like playing music, either just for fun or as part of what they're selling, but I hope that the other benefits that come with using South Hall will help to counterbalance that disappointment.

Quote from: itselguapo on March 23, 2015, 05:34:01 PM
Is this only gonna be on thursday and friday?
Kinda lame if that happens... I'd love to check this out.
Yes, Swap Meet is Thursday and Friday night, like usual.  However, keep in mind that the hours go quite late, so even if you might have work or might not be at the convention early on those days, it should still be open to check out.
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Michi

Quote from: GamerscloseT on March 23, 2015, 03:45:05 PM
I've been selling 3 years strong at the swap, to me its the best part of the con. Not just the selling but environment wise, like you can easily have a conversation with anyone because we all share the same passion.

I agree. Swap Meet is great for the money making, but I also just really like it as an experience. Last year was the first time in about 5 years that I didn't participate, and I really missed it.
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

Nina Star 9

I have a question about allowed items -- I am considering trying for a swap meet space so I can sell some old handmade lolita clothes. This is all I will be selling. Since the items are primarily handmade (with a couple of storebought pieces thrown in), would it be allowed? I wouldn't be appropriate for the AA, since I'm not making clothes specifically to sell, I'm trying to sell used clothes that I made for myself to wear years ago.

And for those who have previously participated in the swap meet -- would used lolita clothes sell? I'm not sure if there would be any interest in these. Have people successfully sold J-fashion items in the past?

Zelyhon

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 03, 2015, 09:38:40 PM
I have a question about allowed items -- I am considering trying for a swap meet space so I can sell some old handmade lolita clothes. This is all I will be selling. Since the items are primarily handmade (with a couple of storebought pieces thrown in), would it be allowed? I wouldn't be appropriate for the AA, since I'm not making clothes specifically to sell, I'm trying to sell used clothes that I made for myself to wear years ago.

And for those who have previously participated in the swap meet -- would used lolita clothes sell? I'm not sure if there would be any interest in these. Have people successfully sold J-fashion items in the past?
Used cosplay and cosplay-ish items that you made previously are allowed.  You would not be able to make things specifically for Swap Meet, since like you mentioned that falls under Artist's Alley as opposed to Swap Meet.  Crafted items such as that do have to be approved by staff, but the general description doesn't give me any reason to think that there'll be any problems with it.

As for "will they sell," I'll defer on that question to anyone who regularly sells at Swap Meet, since I don't actually know.  XD
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff