Proposal: Historical or recreation competition

Started by Erik_anderson, March 18, 2015, 12:38:36 PM

Erik_anderson

Proposal: Historical or recreation competition

I've been toying with this idea for a while and a resent post prompted me to bring it up. This competition would be heavily skewed to craftsmanship and the details of a costumes construction.  This would be roughly split between media (modern sources) and historical (based on historical documentation and accounts before 1940).  All of this must be from asia or asia inspired sources.

The competition would require dress diaries/ tailor journals of the construction details and supported documentation. The room itself would have a low riser and runway platform that would allow the audience to admire the garments up close and the wearer would be able to have up to 3 minutes to display with lengthly narration from the MC or a recorded narration.

We would use the same Open, Journeyman, Novice, Professional devisions.

To be clear, this is not for displaying vintage (actual garments from that era) garments.  You may use vintage accessories, but they will not be part of the judging of your entry.

WHat are your thought?

1) would you be tempted into competing?

2) would you want to attend and see the competition?

3) Do you think this is a welcome addition to Fanime?

4) ideas, thoughts, concerns?
~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~
An evil so refined that it knows which fork to use... but chooses not to.

Erik_anderson

An evil so refined that it knows which fork to use... but chooses not to.

SquishyK

I know there are lots of groups in the Bay Area that specialize in historical costuming. I think if this event goes through it would be great if it could be broadcast to those groups somehow (there might be people in Clockwork Alchemy that know more about these groups and how to reach them). I don't know if any are necessarily associated with Asian origin or inspired costuming but I think some branch out into that "genre" sometimes.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Admiral Donuts

This seems like it would do really well at Clockwork alchemy.

SquishyK

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on June 02, 2015, 09:35:21 PM
This seems like it would do really well at Clockwork alchemy.

I think the point of the contest is that it focusses on Asian sources. Which personally I feel does make it a better fit for Fanime over Clockwork Alchemy. You really don't see much Asian inspired dress at Clockwork Alchemy (far more European inspired). I think it would be a really cool event to see. I'm just not entirely sure about this event as a contest. I feel like I might prefer to see it as a fashion show like the Lolita Fashion show. That is in part because when you open it up to a variety of skill levels it is less interesting to see an amateur piece of fashion as it is to see an amateur cosplay. For the cosplay the person can still be a really interesting fun character and something I identify with even if they are a bit amateur. It also might be difficult to find people who will be interested in competing year after year (if you want to make it an annual event) given such a narrow scope.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Dreamlord

This sounds interesting. I'd like to view this. Maybe participate if I loose 20 lbs.