Cosplay Masquerade 2015 Competition Rules

Started by Erik_anderson, March 23, 2015, 05:52:43 PM

PrincessSquib

Quote from: Angelx624 on April 13, 2015, 10:11:50 PM
Quote from: Erik_anderson on April 13, 2015, 09:07:59 PM
Angelx624

Ok, so, in my skit group, there's one person that's under 18, and her parent/legal guardian cannot be present at the con. How do we go about getting her waiver filled out?

The form must be filled out by the parent/legal guardian, signed and brought with them(the member of your crew) to the masquerade table at the convention.
Are we able to print out these forms or do we get them at the convention? It's been a couple years since I've done Fanime Masquerade, so I may have forgotten this information.
The forms usually go up on the site around a week or two before the con. You can print them out and bring them. I print it out and have my mom sign this for my brother because he's still under 18, and its been like that the past few years.
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Groma

The  pre-Masquerade meeting is listed as being on May 25th @ 12noon. Is that correct? It seems to be on Monday, which is after the masquerade?

Angelx624

Quote from: PrincessSquib on April 15, 2015, 05:37:32 PM
Quote from: Angelx624 on April 13, 2015, 10:11:50 PM
Quote from: Erik_anderson on April 13, 2015, 09:07:59 PM
Angelx624

Ok, so, in my skit group, there's one person that's under 18, and her parent/legal guardian cannot be present at the con. How do we go about getting her waiver filled out?

The form must be filled out by the parent/legal guardian, signed and brought with them(the member of your crew) to the masquerade table at the convention.
Are we able to print out these forms or do we get them at the convention? It's been a couple years since I've done Fanime Masquerade, so I may have forgotten this information.
The forms usually go up on the site around a week or two before the con. You can print them out and bring them. I print it out and have my mom sign this for my brother because he's still under 18, and its been like that the past few years.
Oh, ok! Thanks for letting me know! :)
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Erik_anderson

Hi Gorma,

QuoteThe  pre-Masquerade meeting is listed as being on May 25th @ 12noon. Is that correct? It seems to be on Monday, which is after the masquerade?

This was a typo.  Its Sunday and it should be 9am to start rehearsals.  correcting.
~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~
An evil so refined that it knows which fork to use... but chooses not to.

Enkai

Quote from: Erik_anderson on April 20, 2015, 04:33:10 PM
This was a typo.  Its Sunday and it should be 9am to start rehearsals.  correcting.

So are we ALL going to have to show up at 9AM in order to rehearse? This is never how I've seen it done when I competed before the management change - we had rehearsal at 12 at the earliest, IIRC.  The show did start a bit later, so I can allow adjustment for that, but 9AM is really early.

Mostly, it's kinda cruel to those of us with complex costumes.  I haven't finished the costume, but based on previous costumes of similar complexity, I'm liable to need 2+ hours to get into costume (large wig, jewelry and accessories, makeup, prosthetics, getting into armor, etc).  If I need to show up at 9, I'm going to need to wake up at 5:30 so I can get some breakfast in me (definitely a necessity since I don't see time for a lunch break in there).  This means I'm going to have to bypass all Saturday evening events so I can get enough sleep to be able to handle the inevitable stress that happens EVERY masquerade.

I'm certain I can't be the only person in that predicament.

Additionally, I want to be able to duck out at 11 for a gathering, but that is secondary and not something that affects everybody else.  Getting into costume and out to the Civic Center at 9AM is the real difficulty.

From my perspective, it'd be better to block rehearsal times by group numbers so we at least have some idea of when we're going to be able to rehearse?  Sitting around not sure if/when you're going to rehearse is painfully stressful, when we're already stressed from nerves.

If you are blocking the rehearsal schedule so that groups don't have to be there the entire time feel free to ignore this, but the 9AM thing has me worried.

identivity

Quote from: Enkai on April 21, 2015, 12:18:29 PM
Quote from: Erik_anderson on April 20, 2015, 04:33:10 PM

So are we ALL going to have to show up at 9AM in order to rehearse? This is never how I've seen it done when I competed before the management change - we had rehearsal at 12 at the earliest, IIRC.  The show did start a bit later, so I can allow adjustment for that, but 9AM is really early.

Mostly, it's kinda cruel to those of us with complex costumes.  I haven't finished the costume, but based on previous costumes of similar complexity, I'm liable to need 2+ hours to get into costume (large wig, jewelry and accessories, makeup, prosthetics, getting into armor, etc).  If I need to show up at 9, I'm going to need to wake up at 5:30 so I can get some breakfast in me (definitely a necessity since I don't see time for a lunch break in there).  This means I'm going to have to bypass all Saturday evening events so I can get enough sleep to be able to handle the inevitable stress that happens EVERY masquerade.

I'm certain I can't be the only person in that predicament.

Additionally, I want to be able to duck out at 11 for a gathering, but that is secondary and not something that affects everybody else.  Getting into costume and out to the Civic Center at 9AM is the real difficulty.

From my perspective, it'd be better to block rehearsal times by group numbers so we at least have some idea of when we're going to be able to rehearse?  Sitting around not sure if/when you're going to rehearse is painfully stressful, when we're already stressed from nerves.

If you are blocking the rehearsal schedule so that groups don't have to be there the entire time feel free to ignore this, but the 9AM thing has me worried.

Now I'm kind of confused about the rehearsal. The other masquerades I've been in, it was never a "dress rehearsal." You basically showed up at your scheduled time, went through your skit with the sound and lighting people, and did a quick run-through of your skit/walk-on. The only time I was actually in costume for my rehearsal time was because I had to go to my construction judging right after so I had to be dressed.

I'm figuring Fanime's rehearsal won't be that much different? Not sure why we would have to be in costume (someone who has done Fanime's masquerade can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just going by my experience with other conventions).

Enkai

Quote from: identivity on April 21, 2015, 12:57:14 PM

Now I'm kind of confused about the rehearsal. The other masquerades I've been in, it was never a "dress rehearsal." You basically showed up at your scheduled time, went through your skit with the sound and lighting people, and did a quick run-through of your skit/walk-on. The only time I was actually in costume for my rehearsal time was because I had to go to my construction judging right after so I had to be dressed.

I'm figuring Fanime's rehearsal won't be that much different? Not sure why we would have to be in costume (someone who has done Fanime's masquerade can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just going by my experience with other conventions).

I suppose it doesn't have to be (I have seen folks rehearsing in something besides their final costume, but that was prior to the management change), but given that I don't expect a large amount of time between the end of rehearsal and the start of the show, AND that craftsmanship judging is occurring the same day, I don't expect that many people won't be in costume for rehearsal - in particular people like me who need multiple hours to get into costume.

For me, it's a practical assumption as a result of the given schedule and the amount of time I know I'm going to need.  Even if that wasn't the case, I'd probably still want to be in at least the parts of the costume that are liable to affect movement, since some of my movements will change from practiced as a result of the full stage.  But that's just from my own theater experience rather than being a rule.

identivity

Quote from: Enkai on April 21, 2015, 01:53:55 PM
Quote from: identivity on April 21, 2015, 12:57:14 PM

I suppose it doesn't have to be (I have seen folks rehearsing in something besides their final costume, but that was prior to the management change), but given that I don't expect a large amount of time between the end of rehearsal and the start of the show, AND that craftsmanship judging is occurring the same day, I don't expect that many people won't be in costume for rehearsal - in particular people like me who need multiple hours to get into costume.

For me, it's a practical assumption as a result of the given schedule and the amount of time I know I'm going to need.  Even if that wasn't the case, I'd probably still want to be in at least the parts of the costume that are liable to affect movement, since some of my movements will change from practiced as a result of the full stage.  But that's just from my own theater experience rather than being a rule.

Yeah, I used to work theater too (dresser) so I know the drill. I'm at work, checking stuff on my computer, and it was "Wait, we don't have to be in costume for rehearsal........do we?"

Enkai

Yay, theater fun! I just got back into it; I had almost forgotten how much I love being on stage and performing.  It does have me thinking more about what I want to see in a successful rehearsal and show though, in addition to the "this is what makes it easier for me as a cosplayer."

On a related note, I have decided to drop masquerade. I said two years ago after that fiasco that Fanime masq was going to need to greatly improve communication and operations in general if I was going to put up with it, and I just admitted to myself that I have not reached that level of satisfaction.  Things like cash prizes and cool projection systems (which we haven't had confirmed yet, and is likely too late for any of us to take advantage of it) don't solve the underlying organizational issues, at least for me personally.

*Shrugs* Means I will have more time to focus on karaoke anyway. Maybe I will do well enough in that to still be in masquerade, but that's a longshot, lol.  I do plan on wearing my masquerade costume for the karaoke contest now, because why not (also, it's thematic with my song choices).

Good luck everyone! I sincerely do hope all goes well for you all! I do plan on watching masquerade, so I will hopefully see you all there.  :-)

PrincessSquib

Quote from: Enkai on April 23, 2015, 07:04:39 AM
Yay, theater fun! I just got back into it; I had almost forgotten how much I love being on stage and performing.  It does have me thinking more about what I want to see in a successful rehearsal and show though, in addition to the "this is what makes it easier for me as a cosplayer."

On a related note, I have decided to drop masquerade. I said two years ago after that fiasco that Fanime masq was going to need to greatly improve communication and operations in general if I was going to put up with it, and I just admitted to myself that I have not reached that level of satisfaction.  Things like cash prizes and cool projection systems (which we haven't had confirmed yet, and is likely too late for any of us to take advantage of it) don't solve the underlying organizational issues, at least for me personally.

*Shrugs* Means I will have more time to focus on karaoke anyway. Maybe I will do well enough in that to still be in masquerade, but that's a longshot, lol.  I do plan on wearing my masquerade costume for the karaoke contest now, because why not (also, it's thematic with my song choices).

Good luck everyone! I sincerely do hope all goes well for you all! I do plan on watching masquerade, so I will hopefully see you all there.  :-)
Good Luck with your Karaoke! I really enjoy when the singers are cosplaying while singing. It gives a whole new feel to it. :D
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Erik_anderson

Hi Enkai

QuoteSo are we ALL going to have to show up at 9AM in order to rehearse? This is never how I've seen it done when I competed before the management change - we had rehearsal at 12 at the earliest, IIRC.  The show did start a bit later, so I can allow adjustment for that, but 9AM is really early.

Oh no, the slots an run order will be put together prior to the conventions. If anyone has any need for extended rehearsal times like our martial arts performance then we can grant additional time.

QuoteMostly, it's kinda cruel to those of us with complex costumes.  I haven't finished the costume, but based on previous costumes of similar complexity, I'm liable to need 2+ hours to get into costume (large wig, jewelry and accessories, makeup, prosthetics, getting into armor, etc).  If I need to show up at 9, I'm going to need to wake up at 5:30 so I can get some breakfast in me (definitely a necessity since I don't see time for a lunch break in there).  This means I'm going to have to bypass all Saturday evening events so I can get enough sleep to be able to handle the inevitable stress that happens EVERY masquerade.

We also have a ballroom that can be used for construction and rehearsal from Friday noon to Sunday Morning.  This can also be used for large prop storiage if hotel space or transport it tight.  We also accept packages.

QuoteI'm certain I can't be the only person in that predicament.

That should not be a problem.  one week prior to the convention schedule times will be worked out for rehearsal, craftsmanship judging, and run order.

identivity

QuoteYeah, I used to work theater too (dresser) so I know the drill. I'm at work, checking stuff on my computer, and it was "Wait, we don't have to be in costume for rehearsal........do we?"

Only for your scheduled final rehearsal. This is likely starting at around 1:30 pm and it will mean the sound/lights and ninja crew know what you look like in the final product.

Hi Enkai

Quotehave decided to drop masquerade. I said two years ago after that fiasco that Fanime masq was going to need to greatly improve communication and operations in general if I was going to put up with it, and I just admitted to myself that I have not reached that level of satisfaction.  Things like cash prizes and cool projection systems (which we haven't had confirmed yet, and is likely too late for any of us to take advantage of it) don't solve the underlying organizational issues, at least for me personally.

I am sorry to not see you this year and I do take the critique as a call to action.  I this to be more then just me here.

Quote*Shrugs* Means I will have more time to focus on karaoke anyway. Maybe I will do well enough in that to still be in masquerade, but that's a longshot, lol.  I do plan on wearing my masquerade costume for the karaoke contest now, because why not (also, it's thematic with my song choices).

My best wishes on your success, if you need rehearsal space for your karaoke, I am more then willing to grant you access to the practice room on Friday and Saturday.
An evil so refined that it knows which fork to use... but chooses not to.