UPDATED 05/23!! Free Shuttle service (by me)! Full details and pictures!

Started by Tigerprawn, March 31, 2015, 01:25:23 PM

Tigerprawn

UPDATED:

05/23 Update!

I decided to release my number so people can text me for rides. PLEASE read the rules before texting.

Include your name, location, how many passengers, and what time you'd like a pickup.  Use the passcode "pugs" at the end. If I respond back it'll be within 5 minutes. If I don't respond I'm probably driving someone else or out of service. Thanks!

(408) 596-4561

Food, drinks, etc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WIfBCevWab8hNBl7X42v-iEMLtzgup323L5YTUDYl5w/edit?usp=sharing

So how I you take advantage of this FREE shuttle service?

+ Be 18 years old+
+ Have your Fanime badge
+ Wave me-down (Car will have signage on it indicating free rides for fanime goers) or make a request via text (must PM on forums for access to this system)
+ Text me your description, current location, how many passengers, and the passcode I have provided to you
+ Have 1-3 passengers (4 if you don't mind being close)
+ Sign the liability waiver
+ Don't be scared and be happy!
+ Be friendly and not a jerk!
+ Ask me for recommendations or let me know where you'd like to go
+ If your stop is quick (Market, to-go food, pickup, etc.) and I'm not busy I can wait around and give you a return ride.
+ Tipping is not necessary or an obligation, but I 100% appreciate any gesture be it monetary, snacketary, drinketary, or any other <insert>tary you can think of

Here's a copy of the waiver.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pq9XJhy7BSWfnnizudc-aadS6j9Ypcytdi4QOXRgHB0/edit?usp=sharing

On Friday I'll post a picture of what my car looks like including the signage on it.

PS: Please don't try to sue me. I have no money anyway ^_^

Original post
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Purelovely

This is a really cool idea and very sweet of you. I'm sure there will be lots of people interested in this.
Fanime Con 2018 Cosplay:
Fri: No cosplay
Sat: ??
Sun: No cosplay
Mon: No cosplay because I'm going to Disneyland!

Navashuryn

You know... I just had a mental picture of flagging down a catbus, lmao! I like the idea, to be honest, especially since I'll be traveling from out of town and I don't know the area very well.

Tigerprawn

I'm honestly hoping more people are in a similar situation such as yourself. I love SJ, lived here all my life, and I'm entering into a career of public service. It's just a great way for me to encourage people to visit local businesses, chat with people I've never met, and hopefully steer people away from doing the standard/typical thing like going to Subway or McDonald's if they'd rather try something new and local (not that there is anything wrong with Subway if you like that). DTSJ has changed a lot within the last couple of years for the better and it's great when people from out of town get to experience it.

jm1991

wow that sounds like a great idea. Just be reminded that no good deed goes unpunished lol I would be concerned about insurance and liability in case of (hopefully wont happen) car accidents with passengers. Having a local guide you to SJ's hidden gems would be a great. Maybe you can get some friends interested in the idea and possibly the idea of earning tips.

Tigerprawn

Thankfully I'll keep it completely within DTSJ and I've never been in an accident (that was my fault!). Liability... I've thought about this and it might be something I have people read and sign before entering just as a precautionary step. I don't think it'll be an issue, but better safe than sorry.

I'm also subletting part of my apartment as well if anyone needs a place to crash close to the event and wants to pay less than hotels.

Navashuryn

Well, it'll certainly be nice to have something other than Subway or McDonald's to eat on my vacation, and meeting new people who share the same interests is always a plus. I'm sure there are many other people who feel the same way. :)

Snorcat

It would be awesome to see this happen. My friends and I have always wanted to wander farther out from the convention center and check out the town and some of the better places to eat, but have never made it out there. It would be great to have a way to experience new things! I second the idea of signing a waiver in the beginning though, just in case. Better safe than sorry when it comes to something like that! :D

Tigerprawn

Looks like I'm still good to go with the very informal/friendly shuttle service within DTSJ. I'll post up more details by Thursday evening.

I'll give rides to people who wave me down, but I'm thinking about taking requests via phone too strictly from those who frequent this forum.

If you'd like to participate PM your number and your name and I'll add you to the list of people I'll respond to. The way it would work is as follows...

If you're part of the list I have and you send me a text with your location I'll text back if I'm available and if I am how long I'll be. After that you hop in, sign a waiver just to protect my butt, and I'll take you anywhere within DTSJ. If it's just a quick stop at the market or something I'll wait around the area and take you back to the convention.

Again this is all free, I'll work off of tips (snacks, trinkets, money, etc.), but there is absolutely no obligation. More details to come including description of the car being used.

arnaudrayber

This (and you of course) sounds awesome. Going to some nice places to eat too sounds amazing, it'd be a nice change from the fast food that me and my younger brother tends to go eat when we come...

Good point on the waiver though just to be safe, just don't be adding something extra like "and name your next child 'Fanime Shuttles'".  ;D

Tigerprawn

Yup, the waiver is done and I'll print out a few copies. If I could achieve just one thing, I'd like people to try the local food and small business and avoid Subway and McDonalds unless that was truly their first option for food.

Here's a copy of the waiver. Unfortunately, I am only willing to transport folks that are 18 years old or above.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pq9XJhy7BSWfnnizudc-aadS6j9Ypcytdi4QOXRgHB0/edit?usp=sharing

PS: Please don't try to sue me. I have no money anyway ^_^

---

So how I you take advantage of this FREE shuttle service?

+ Be 18 years old+
+ Have your Fanime badge
+ Wave me-down (Car will have signage on it indicating free rides for fanime goers) or make a request via text (must PM on forums for access to this system)
+ Text me your description, current location, how many passengers, and the passcode I have provided to you
+ Have 1-3 passengers (4 if you don't mind being close)
+ Sign the liability waiver
+ Don't be scared and be happy!
+ Be friendly and not a jerk!
+ Ask me for recommendations or let me know where you'd like to go
+ If your stop is quick (Market, to-go food, pickup, etc.) and I'm not busy I can wait around and give you a return ride.
+ Tipping is not necessary or an obligation, but I 100% appreciate any gesture be it monetary, snacketary, drinketary, or any other + <insert>tary you can think of

Tigerprawn

-_-chuckles-_-

I think what your doing is pretty damn generous and awesome.

Tigerprawn

Whelp!

After a few hours of driving around I think a few people finally got the courage to inquire more and ask for a ride. I think people have a tendency (rightfully so) to think that there might be some sort of catch. I was able to help out a few folks and it was great! I'll be doing it again tomorrow if I have a free schedule.

-_-chuckles-_-

Hows the traffic?  Also are their places where i can park for the whole day? I know i would pay

arnaudrayber

It sounds great that this is working out well  ;D

Ahh unfortunately my younger brother isn't quite 18+. Is there anyplace that you recommend to go out and try (mainly eat)?

Tigerprawn

Quote from: -_-chuckles-_- on May 22, 2015, 10:43:42 PM
Hows the traffic?  Also are their places where i can park for the whole day? I know i would pay

Traffic isn't bad, but there is the "Color Run" event today that might close down a few streets. If you want to park somewhere there are public garages all near the Convention. Not sure how much they charge for full day parking.

Tigerprawn

Quote from: arnaudrayber on May 22, 2015, 11:19:11 PM
It sounds great that this is working out well  ;D

Ahh unfortunately my younger brother isn't quite 18+. Is there anyplace that you recommend to go out and try (mainly eat)?

Here's a list of places I made... There are many many many more places, but I didn't have the time to list everything.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WIfBCevWab8hNBl7X42v-iEMLtzgup323L5YTUDYl5w/edit?usp=sharing

Tigerprawn

Second day/night done! Met some great folks, some local bay area residents, some from out of state, and was fortunate enough to receive tips in the form of money and pocky!

I had a lot of people just wave and ask if it was really free which was cool too. I may do it again tomorrow if I have time!