First time Mariott

Started by Dreadhawk, April 08, 2015, 07:32:00 AM

Dreadhawk

Hey guys.

So This year will be my 5th attending Fanime but my first staying in one of the fancier hotels.

To my surprise and joy, I was able to book a room for my S/O and I for the whole weekend.

Before this year, I've always stayed at Hotel Elan, which is about a mile away. I either walked to the convention or paid the horrendous vehicle storage fee.

Now that I cosplay, I can't really do the walking bit unless it is a minimal outfit, which this year it is not. So I'm very excited to have a Mariott room, especially at the same price as Hotel Elan.

So my question is; What can I expect from staying there? Will I get to choose what type of room I get (as in which side of the building, one with a balcony, do they all come with balconies? etc). What is the noise level like? I love swimming but considering how busy it will be, is the pool worth checking out? Is it open all night? (I'd likely want to relax in the evening and I love just kinda... hanging out, casual swimming, etc)

What other surprising are in store for me? O:
2019 lineup:
Shoebill (f>m genderswap) (Kemono Friends)
Elias Ainsworth (The Ancient Magus Bride)
King Hassan (Fate/Grand Order)
Gran (Granblue Fantasy)

YaoiCat

I haven't stayed at the Marriott, but I usually stay at the Hilton which is the other hotel that is connected to the convention center.  It's soooo nice having the room so close!  It makes it really easy to go up and rest for a bit or drop off goodies after shopping in the dealer's hall :)  Don't know if you're of drinking age, but it's also great because there's a pretty good bar inside the Marriott and having a room so close makes it easy to get "home" after having some drinks, hahaha!  The worst part is the elevators though.  Staying in one of the convention center hotels means that the elevators are constantly overcrowded with people going up to/ coming down from their rooms.  But other than that, I love staying at the Hilton :)

Dreadhawk

Quote from: YaoiCat on April 08, 2015, 07:44:57 AM
I haven't stayed at the Marriott, but I usually stay at the Hilton which is the other hotel that is connected to the convention center.  It's soooo nice having the room so close!  It makes it really easy to go up and rest for a bit or drop off goodies after shopping in the dealer's hall :)  Don't know if you're of drinking age, but it's also great because there's a pretty good bar inside the Marriott and having a room so close makes it easy to get "home" after having some drinks, hahaha!  The worst part is the elevators though.  Staying in one of the convention center hotels means that the elevators are constantly overcrowded with people going up to/ coming down from their rooms.  But other than that, I love staying at the Hilton :)

Oh god, yeah, the elevators... I'm pretty sure people are going to hate me because my cosplay is probably going to take up 2-3 people's worth of space. Well, I'm 6'6, I already take up almost 2 people's worth of space, lol.

And neither me nor my s/o will be touching the bar. We're of age but we don't drink.  :o I don't know that we'll even visit the in-house restaurant since I've heard it's so expensive.
2019 lineup:
Gran (Granblue Fantasy)

jm1991

I've stayed at the marriott several times but never for fanime. Although I will tell you that the hotel gets almost full monday-friday on a regular weekly basis due to business travelers so when most fanime people arrive friday wanting to check in super early thats not gonna happen. I've seen lines of people wanting to check in early but the hotel rooms are still either occupied or dirty from the previous day. You can expect to wait till 4pm or later if you want to get into your room.  You can expect to pay $31 a day for valet parking with in and out privilages but with the hotel being that full you will most likely spend about 20 mins waiting for the people to get your car. Or you can park at the convention center parking for 20 a day with no in and out privilages.  None of the hotel rooms have balconies. There are larger rooms anything ending in 01 example 1201and jr suites end in 00 and both of these types are corner rooms facing san Carlos street. if you get anything else is a basic room. All rooms are very quiet. Elevators will be packed and will likely take you several minutes waiting to get one if u have a high floor, lowest available floor for rooms is 4. i dont know if you can chose or make requests as to what type of room u want or upgrade or where in the hotel as groups get randomly assigned and will only consider higher paying costumers or elites requests. Pool is located on floor 3 and its a decent size as well as their hot tub So its worth checking it out although I dont know how busy it is during fanime. Their tv's are equipped with netflix app. But unless you are a gold or platinum member you are charged about 12 bucks a day for high speed internet. Also gold and platinum only get free breakfast and consierge lounge access. The Tanq bar is very nice but pricy. They tend to do anime inspired cocktails but seem to be toned down so stick with beer or strong drinks like martinis to get your moneys worth. Arcadia is a good steakhouse but pricey as well. I place it in my top 3 in sj (Lb steak, mortons steakhouse, Arcadia)

Dreadhawk

Quote from: jm1991 on April 08, 2015, 11:25:34 AM
I've stayed at the marriott several times but never for fanime. Although I will tell you that the hotel gets almost full monday-friday on a regular weekly basis due to business travelers so when most fanime people arrive friday wanting to check in super early thats not gonna happen.

I'm booked Thursday night through Sunday morning because even though I only live 30-40 mins drive away, I prefer to spend the night beforehand someplace close. I won't have any issues with waiting. And I tend not to stay for the Monday activities since Mon/Tues are my usual days off and I use them to recuperate, haha.

You can expect to pay $31 a day for valet parking with in and out privileges but with the hotel being that full you will most likely spend about 20 mins waiting for the people to get your car.

I have a close friend who is a regional manager for Towne Park, he hooks me up with Valet services. If I decided to use it, that won't be an issue. If, though. I don't know if Towne Park even has the contract for the Mariott currently.

None of the hotel rooms have balconies. There are larger rooms anything ending in 01 example 1201and jr suites end in 00 and both of these types are corner rooms facing San Carlos street. if you get anything else is a basic room. All rooms are very quiet.
That's too bad. Relaxing on a balcony and listening to the city at night would have been nice. Not a big deal, though.

Elevators will be packed and will likely take you several minutes waiting to get one if u have a high floor, lowest available floor for rooms is 4. I dont know if you can chose or make requests as to what type of room u want or upgrade or where in the hotel as groups get randomly assigned and will only consider higher paying costumers or elites requests. Pool is located on floor 3 and its a decent size as well as their hot tub So its worth checking it out although I dont know how busy it is during fanime. Their tv's are equipped with netflix app. But unless you are a gold or platinum member you are charged about 12 bucks a day for high speed internet. Also gold and platinum only get free breakfast and concierge lounge access. The Tanq bar is very nice but pricey. They tend to do anime inspired cocktails but seem to be toned down so stick with beer or strong drinks like martinis to get your moneys worth. Arcadia is a good steakhouse but pricey as well. I place it in my top 3 in sj (Lb steak, mortons steakhouse, Arcadia)

All good to know. Thanks!
2019 lineup:
Gran (Granblue Fantasy)