Karaoke Contest Contestant Chat [2015]

Started by loconeko, April 09, 2015, 11:37:19 AM

kotomikun

Quote from: coriechan on May 01, 2015, 03:14:58 PM
Anyone else getting an error message when they submit their song choices for karaoke? D:

I think this was a problem last year too... Did you use any quotation marks or apostrophes or anything odd like that? If so, try taking those out. SQL gets confused by certain characters.

Ska

I swear I didn't break it!

It looks like you're probably trying to make one of your song choices "I'm Alive" right?
Remove the ' or write it I\'m Alive
I think the form just doesn't handle ' or " gracefully. Sorry about that! When I can get a hold of whoever wrote it, I'll ask them to fix it for us.

coriechan

Quote from: kotomikun on May 01, 2015, 03:25:45 PM
Quote from: coriechan on May 01, 2015, 03:14:58 PM
Anyone else getting an error message when they submit their song choices for karaoke? D:

I think this was a problem last year too... Did you use any quotation marks or apostrophes or anything odd like that? If so, try taking those out. SQL gets confused by certain characters.
Quote from: Ska on May 01, 2015, 03:28:46 PM
I swear I didn't break it!

It looks like you're probably trying to make one of your song choices "I'm Alive" right?
Remove the ' or write it I\'m Alive
I think the form just doesn't handle ' or " gracefully. Sorry about that! When I can get a hold of whoever wrote it, I'll ask them to fix it for us.

That was 100% it haha
i feel so silly now
thank you guys so much!!
Cosplay List 2015:
- Jasper [Steven Universe]
-Cosmo [Fairly Odd Parents]

pantsu

WAHOO!  got my entry in....finals song might change, but prelims song is go go go!!
2018 lineup:
Fri - Miss Frizzle
Sat - Oren Pierre Alfonso (KR Gaim)
Sun - General Leia (SW: TFA)
Mon - Samwell jersey (OMG Check Please!)

ZeroBudgetGamer

Glad I checked here, I was having the same problem.  One apostrophe was barring my entry, but that's all fixed now.  Gotta say, I'm a little nervous, since I'm kinda uncertain about my prelim song.

coriechan

Quote from: ZeroBudgetGamer on May 01, 2015, 07:11:56 PM
Glad I checked here, I was having the same problem.  One apostrophe was barring my entry, but that's all fixed now.  Gotta say, I'm a little nervous, since I'm kinda uncertain about my prelim song.

The good thing is, you can change your song at whim! It's all in the rules that says you don't have to stick with what you put on the forms~
Cosplay List 2015:
- Jasper [Steven Universe]
-Cosmo [Fairly Odd Parents]

ZeroBudgetGamer

I figured as much.  The problem is, the longer it takes me to decide, the less time I'll have to practice.  I know my prelim song inside and out - I could sing it acapella if I so desired; the problem comes down to time.  I'm kind of a stickler for singing a song from beginning to end in my personal time, so the thought of having to cut the song short just makes me nervous about my delivery of it.  There's also the thought of the song's impact, if it truly has enough to wow the judges, and/or if other people's choices will overshadow mine.

Sygmus

One song must be from an anime? I was gonna do a couple Idolm@ster songs, which come from the games. There is an Idolm@ster anime though, so does that count?

Edit: Ah ha! One of my songs is in the anime, no problem then! https://youtu.be/eKnYzPT026E

Ska

I read this late but I really want to say this -- yeah obvs im@s songs that are directly featured in the anime are legit. These Anime/Game ones are a bit interesting as far as legitimacy go - Songs featured purely in the game would be ineligible for the anime requirement, but if you found an im@s cd that was directly labeled as "from the anime," the songs on it would be eligible under the image song subsection even if they weren't featured in the anime, but only if they weren't disqualified for other reasons. If you go this route you better have proof just in case someone decides to call you out and be like WAS THAT EVEN IN THE ANIME OR IS THAT A GAME ONLY SONG? MY FAVORITE IM@S SONG IS SNOW HALATION!

Just sayin'. n-not that any of our staff would mistake yayoi for nico or anything like that...

coolasplastic

Wow, I was not expecting entries to still be open. Lucky me!
Friendship is the best thing ever!

Nina Star 9

Just out of curiosity: why are video games excluded from the "must be anime" requirement? It seems like songs from Japanese games, especially those with anime styling or otherwise overlap into anime fandoms (whether as overt as Idolm@ster where that's a lot of slippage between the two or where there's just a lot of stylistic and fandom overlap like many JRPGS, shmups, etc.), should still be able to fulfill that requirement, since it would still be themed to the show. Is it just too difficult to police the game requirement (origin of both the game and the song)? Or do you want to limit it to specifically anime because it's specifically an anime con?

I don't know if you can really discuss the reasoning for the rules, but as I said, I'm just curious.
and not at all bitter that I don't watch a lot of anime or know a lot of anime with music that would be singable for me, but can bust out all sorts of songs made for video games...or bitter that about 85% of anime music with female vocalists tends to be /totally/ the wrong vocal range or style for me, though maybe I'm just not getting a broad enough view of anime music because I don't really listen to it

marisuga

Very excited for this year! My performance is really going to be just that, a performance, this year including dance moves (nothing to intense of course).

And as always, my cosplay will match the anime I'm singing from :) Won't say exactly what but a hint is bunny suit.

ZeroBudgetGamer

Aww, I'm jealous.  I'm a big guy, myself, so I can't really do much onstage.  Plus, my songs are chosen more based on what works with my voice, so cosplaying is kind of difficult.

Still, though, bunny suit and dancing...my mind immediately thinks of Problem Children from a few seasons back; that ending song was awesome, I still listen to it now and then.

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 03, 2015, 08:54:15 AM
Just out of curiosity: why are video games excluded from the "must be anime" requirement? It seems like songs from Japanese games, especially those with anime styling or otherwise overlap into anime fandoms (whether as overt as Idolm@ster where that's a lot of slippage between the two or where there's just a lot of stylistic and fandom overlap like many JRPGS, shmups, etc.), should still be able to fulfill that requirement, since it would still be themed to the show. Is it just too difficult to police the game requirement (origin of both the game and the song)? Or do you want to limit it to specifically anime because it's specifically an anime con?

I don't know if you can really discuss the reasoning for the rules, but as I said, I'm just curious.
and not at all bitter that I don't watch a lot of anime or know a lot of anime with music that would be singable for me, but can bust out all sorts of songs made for video games...or bitter that about 85% of anime music with female vocalists tends to be /totally/ the wrong vocal range or style for me, though maybe I'm just not getting a broad enough view of anime music because I don't really listen to it

That's an interesting thought.  I know that when I come to these karaoke contests, as new as I am to them, I try to focus only on Japanese music, even if I'm pulling from video games.  Though, it's not like they're banning video game music outright, they just want to make sure you have at least one anime-sourced entry, kind of like how in school they'd require you to have at least one book source with reports, even if you could get all the knowledge you need off the Internet.  Hell, at Sac-Anime Winter this last January, the winner of the contest did so singing the Theme song from Metal Gear Solid 5.

And yeah, I feel you on the vocal range front.  My voice is terribly-matched against the higher-pitched fare you get from Japan; try as I might to match it, it just destroys my voice, so this year I'm trying to work with my voice to find songs that work for me, even if I may sing them a little differently from how the original was.

Ska

Just out of curiosity: why are video games excluded from the "must be anime" requirement?

It's a singing competition at an anime convention, we just want to make sure there's some anime to it. The popularity of video game music, vocaloids, and internet memes have increased so much lately that it's beginning to encompass everything. Keeping one song based on an anime is a way to keep people centered around one common source, just like having the other more open lets people's true likes and interests shine through.

I'm sorry you feel that way! It's not anyone's intent to make you salty. I mean, you know we enjoy your song choices at open mic. Most of them are songs and bands we love too! I'm sure you'll find something great if you haven't already.

Keep practicing, everyone!

Enkai

On a related note because I had a moment of not being sure - stage musical adaptations of anime count as being along the same lines of live action adaptations, right? That's how I had interpreted that anyway.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Ska on May 06, 2015, 08:58:03 PM
Just out of curiosity: why are video games excluded from the "must be anime" requirement?

It's a singing competition at an anime convention, we just want to make sure there's some anime to it. The popularity of video game music, vocaloids, and internet memes have increased so much lately that it's beginning to encompass everything. Keeping one song based on an anime is a way to keep people centered around one common source, just like having the other more open lets people's true likes and interests shine through.

I'm sorry you feel that way! It's not anyone's intent to make you salty. I mean, you know we enjoy your song choices at open mic. Most of them are songs and bands we love too! I'm sure you'll find something great if you haven't already.

Keep practicing, everyone!
Hey Ska! Thanks for the reply. I'm not terribly salty, don't worry. :]

The reasoning makes sense, though. I'll just have to step up my song selection and look harder for something that works. I already have a few ideas for future contests. (Though I also keep finding all these surprisingly great songs from video games...I might have to pair Aozora no Knife with something from an anime for a future contest, because I can somehow pull it off. Maybe I'll bust that out for open mic this year!) ...or I can just stick with Cowboy Bebop music, haha. (any other anime that primarily has jazz music?)

I know you all love my open mic selections! I'm glad. :] I can't really pull off a lot of that for a contest, but I do have fun singing it. I'll be bringing my usual mix of jazz, shibuya-kei Guitar Vader, Megumi Hayashibara, etc. this year, so look forward to it!

Ska

Quote from: Enkai on May 07, 2015, 12:15:06 AM
On a related note because I had a moment of not being sure - stage musical adaptations of anime count as being along the same lines of live action adaptations, right? That's how I had interpreted that anyway.

An official stage musical adaptation is live live-action, and fits within our rules.

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 11, 2015, 08:59:02 PM
...I'm not terribly salty, don't worry. :]... look forward to it!
Good!

ZeroBudgetGamer

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 11, 2015, 08:59:02 PM
I know you all love my open mic selections! I'm glad. :] I can't really pull off a lot of that for a contest, but I do have fun singing it. I'll be bringing my usual mix of jazz, shibuya-kei Guitar Vader, Megumi Hayashibara, etc. this year, so look forward to it!
Damn, sounds like I've been missing a lot hiding away in that massive Gaming Hall these last two years.