Karaoke Contest Contestant Chat [2015]

Started by loconeko, April 09, 2015, 11:37:19 AM

loconeko

Hi everyone!!!!!   

I didn't see a contestant chat thread for this year so I thought I would take the liberty of starting one.   ;)
(admins please feel free to take down this thread if someone did start one already)

Is everyone excited for the contest this year?  Anyone have their songs picked out already?  Anybody competing for the first time? 

I was sad I couldn't compete last year due to work, but I heard everyone was amazing.  Can't wait to see everyone this year!   :D   

Jupeboxgal

Hi! Thanks for starting the chat thread! : )

Hoping to compete for the third time this year, but I'm preparing some duets with a partner, and it's her first time. Super excited for signups... I'm checking the forums almost every day so I don't miss them : D

I hope work doesn't keep you from competing this year. The contest is always a blast!

Hiyuki Hime

im thinking of entering :3 if I do this will be my second time
i get nervous too easily in front of an audience :/
song-wise im thinking of Masayume Chasing from fairy tail and Planet Cradle from the macross 30 game :D

loconeko

Quote from: Jupeboxgal on April 09, 2015, 11:35:59 PM
Hi! Thanks for starting the chat thread! : )

Hoping to compete for the third time this year, but I'm preparing some duets with a partner, and it's her first time. Super excited for signups... I'm checking the forums almost every day so I don't miss them : D

I hope work doesn't keep you from competing this year. The contest is always a blast!

Not this time.  Hehe!  SOOOOO HAPPY!   ;D

That's so awesome!  I can't wait to hear you guys.  Its definitely more fun as a group IMO. 

Quote from: Hiyuki Hime on April 10, 2015, 02:43:47 AM
im thinking of entering :3 if I do this will be my second time
i get nervous too easily in front of an audience :/
song-wise im thinking of Masayume Chasing from fairy tail and Planet Cradle from the macross 30 game :D

AH!  I love Masayume Chasing!  I was so stoked to hear it for the first time on Fairy Tail.  Good choice!  ^-^

CeruleanRogue

This would be my first time, but I'm definitely thinking about it!  I've done some karaoke for fun at other conventions, so it might be fun to give this a shot.

marisuga

I have my song for the first round decided, but not for the second round yet. Aiming for higher than 3rd this year (though that's a tough one haha)

Hiyuki Hime

im a big fan of BoA and hearing masayume chasing got me to binge watch the ENTIRE series from episode 1 to current season :D
i think i settled on a song for the finals. im gonna go with Chou from Fatal Frame II

Nina Star 9

I don't know if I'll enter the contest this year (I might do Swap Meet), but I'll be around for a lot of open mic, as usual.

If I did the contest, I'm not sure what I would sing. Maybe use the songs I practiced for this past SacAnime and didn't get to use because I was sick -- Single Mother A Go Go!! by JiLL-Decoy association, and Adieu from Cowboy Bebop. I might choose a new first round song, though,  since I believe Fanime's time cutoff is shorter than SacAnime's. I might replace it with another song by the same band (maybe Jolly Jolly, the OP of Red Garden?) or one by another band (I have a few orange pekoe and EGO-WRAPPIN' songs up my sleeve), or I might do something wild like an old '90s anime opening theme.

My goal would be to make it at least to the finals round, which I've never done at this con, but I also don't enter the contest here very often.

Quote from: Hiyuki Hime on April 11, 2015, 01:32:02 AM
i think i settled on a song for the finals. im gonna go with Chou from Fatal Frame II
Ahhh that's such a great song! Very dramatic. It should be in the database now (I requested it, lol), if you need that. I'd love to be there when you sang it. Oh, I should change my finals song to this cover of one of her songs.

I haven't done an Amano Tsukiko song in so long. Wow.

Does anyone have any good open mic plans? I'll be there with my usual mix of jazz, shibuya-kei, Guitar Vader, Cibo Matto, and ridiculous '90s anime OPs. I've been on a Megumi Hayashibara kick the past few cons (Slayers music anyone?), so I'll probably continue that, and I've been practicing the Cutey Honey OP, so expect that.

Hiyuki Hime

I got interested in fatal frame II watching markiplier play :p. the ending theme was so strong and beautfiul :C
i got the game on psn a couple weeks ago. except im a huge coward to keep playing XD

belligerent

I kind of want to try it but I have a hard time singing in Japanese.  I entered a contest at a different con and totally bombed...  I also can't find a karaoke version of one of the songs I'd want to do; there's not a lot of stuff that works well for my range, so my choices are limited.  I will absolutely try for the gong show, however.  And I'll definitely be at open mic. 

Enkai

I'm planning on entering again!  I got into the finals the last time I competed 2 years ago (last year was a low key Fanime for me because of licensing exams for work)  I'm keeping with my same schtick of Sera Myu (villain? maybe?) songs, because it's fun and WHY NOT.  I know what I'm doing for the finals.  I've narrowed down my qualifier choices a fair bit, but I'm trying to choose one that I nail well enough to get into the finals and works timing-wise.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Hiyuki Hime on April 12, 2015, 01:28:15 AM
I got interested in fatal frame II watching markiplier play :p. the ending theme was so strong and beautfiul :C
i got the game on psn a couple weeks ago. except im a huge coward to keep playing XD
It's a really good game, and I'm not sure if LP videos really do the experience justice. I hope you get brave enough to play it. It's worth it.

Quote from: belligerent on April 12, 2015, 09:18:48 PM
I kind of want to try it but I have a hard time singing in Japanese.  I entered a contest at a different con and totally bombed...  I also can't find a karaoke version of one of the songs I'd want to do; there's not a lot of stuff that works well for my range, so my choices are limited.  I will absolutely try for the gong show, however.  And I'll definitely be at open mic. 
Unless the rules have changed significantly between years, you can do songs that are in English, as long as the song is Japanese in origin/from an anime and not a cover. So you can do something like Want it All Back from Cowboy Bebop, or the English dub Sailor Moon OP, but not something like Fly Me to the Moon from Evangelion. I don't know your vocal range to suggest something, but if you can find a song like that, you're golden. :]

Of course, the Gong Show is always fun, too.

I'm trying to decide between this song and this song right now. Hmm. Still not even sure if I'm entering and I'm already choosing songs.

Hiyuki Hime

if i remember the rules correctly, vocal tracks are fine because they will use vocal dampening if it has vocals in it
out of curiosity lyrics are allowed righ? does it get you extra points or something for not using lyrics? because from what i see from youtube footage from the contest i dont see anyone using lyrics

Jupeboxgal

@Hiyuki - I've seen people use lyrics at the competition before, but I think it probably takes away from your stage presence points. It's much more engaging, as an audience member, when the singer is looking at you and singing to you, instead of to a piece of paper  ;)

@ Enkai - Can I just add the spice and wolf ending to the pile of english-lyrics songs that are totally eligible
Also, at least in 2013, the rules were that "Songs must be from the following categories: anime, vocaloid, video game, or J-rock/J-pop," so you could do things like Mother I'm Here or Build That Wall from the Bastion ost, or something from one of the metal gear games, or Melodies of Life, etc.

@ Nina - The second one has a really great cutoff at 2 minutes and also it's great, wow??? Yes, please??

Also, does anybody know if it's still okay to add your starting note(s) and a few moments of silence to a karaoke track where the singing starts before the instrumental track does? 8)

Moogleborg

I'm definitely ready for this year! :D

o/ BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Dancing through the skies! o/
Running on moé, 24/7/365.