Registration form for Fanime 2015 Masquerade - Cosplay Spectacular

Started by Erik_anderson, April 12, 2015, 11:37:52 PM

Erik_anderson

I am sitting with the web team on this, but to get things started here is a direct link to the form https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DapZN_5DFoeTPdeYUb2a6owrrdo5pXMc7-HnRwR0V_g/viewform?usp=send_form

Please review the rules that have already been posted and I will field question on the forum or you can contact me via email at [email protected], Skype erikpassmark or Facebook
~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~
An evil so refined that it knows which fork to use... but chooses not to.

Animegeek86

Will there be list of all the contestants before the masquerade like last time?

identivity

Awesome, thank you! I filled out and sent my registration a few minutes ago.

Enkai

Awesomesauce.  I've registered.

I'm a little curious at some of the things missing from the form though.  I didn't see anywhere to enter exactly what our costume is (character, series, and variant), nor a place to describe our skit beyond tech requirements.  That seems like fairly basic info.  I know those of us with a tendency to cosplay from obscure series (or in my case, obscure variants on relatively well-known characters) would certainly appreciate the MC announcing what the heck we're cosplaying.  Also, I'm not sure how else staff is supposed to know in advance if the Asian-origin rule is being followed.

The skit description I don't think is strictly necessary, but is helpful for arranging order and knowing if there are repeat skits.  IIRC, I started seeing that on the form after the 2008 fiasco of like 3 skits with the Hare Hare Yukai and 2 with the Lucky Star cheer. (let's ignore for a second I was IN one of those Lucky Star ones)

Angelx624

(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Erik_anderson

Animegeek86

Will there be list of all the contestants before the masquerade like last time?

Yes, this is the plan

Enkai

I'm a little curious at some of the things missing from the form though.  I didn't see anywhere to enter exactly what our costume is (character, series, and variant), nor a place to describe our skit beyond tech requirements.  That seems like fairly basic info.  I know those of us with a tendency to cosplay from obscure series (or in my case, obscure variants on relatively well-known characters) would certainly appreciate the MC announcing what the heck we're cosplaying.  Also, I'm not sure how else staff is supposed to know in advance if the Asian-origin rule is being followed.

Our MC will get the intro information prior to the show, but let me see about adding it to make it faster during rehearsals

The skit description I don't think is strictly necessary, but is helpful for arranging order and knowing if there are repeat skits.  IIRC, I started seeing that on the form after the 2008 fiasco of like 3 skits with the Hare Hare Yukai and 2 with the Lucky Star cheer

No worries, your entry order and your run order are separate and we set them during the rehearsal time.

PrincessSquib

Thanks a bunch Erik!
Our group is looking forward to competing this year!
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Angelx624

Finally submitted mine!! Had to wait for my group to give me their necessary information I had to enter. Hoping for the best!! If things go smoothly, I'll be rather excited. So good to be back in Fanime's Masquerade!
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

KuriQueenofFeels

Crap! I dont check the forums for 2 days because of midterm studying and it goes up. There better still be spots ;_; i cant register until i get home from campus! !!
Cosplay Lineup 2017
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret
Friday: Death Scene Dress
Saturday: Kingsglaive
Monday: Casual Short Dress

Sunday: Vaporeon, with group

identivity

Out of curiosity, will we be getting some sort of confirmation that you guys got the form we submitted and that we're registered?

Groma

Sorry, I'm kind of confused. Are we supposed to wait for a confirmation and then send the music file or do we have to send the music file before we receive a confirmation?

Erik_anderson

Hi identivity,

Out of curiosity, will we be getting some sort of confirmation that you guys got the form we submitted and that we're registered?

Hi Groma,

Sorry, I'm kind of confused. Are we supposed to wait for a confirmation and then send the music file or do we have to send the music file before we receive a confirmation?

Yes, I am working through them, this will include your participant ID and a link to a drop box location to place your music.

Enkai

Sorry for not responding to this earlier; I went to Star Wars Celebration last weekend, so that and getting all my work done before going out of town kinda took over my past week.

Quote from: Erik_anderson on April 13, 2015, 09:04:47 PM

Our MC will get the intro information prior to the show, but let me see about adding it to make it faster during rehearsals

Could you please? The MC issue is a minor one, but ensuring the rules are being followed before Fanime itself is I think in everybody's benefit.  I'm guessing you don't want to deal with the fallout of telling some Frozen cosplayer who's put hours into their costume for masquerade that their costume doesn't follow the rules and they've been disqualified.  Not when you could have told them that in advance.  Better for you in that you don't have to deal with it then, better for them so that they know before the time sink.

And better for the rest of us because we don't want you wasting your time on things that could be forseen in advance.

Also, if documentation is not required, as it appears to not be, better for the judges so they know who's showing up without documentation and can prepare ahead of the con.

Quote from: Erik_anderson on April 13, 2015, 09:04:47 PM
No worries, your entry order and your run order are separate and we set them during the rehearsal time.

This wasn't the concern.  Thhe concern was that there will be an approximate plan prior to the day of rehearsal so we know what to expect.  This was true before the 9AM rehearsal time correction.  I already made my point about rehearsal order in the rules thread, so I'm not going to make it again.

It doesn't have to be planned before Fanime, though it could be, but I dunno, something like how it was before.  When we checked in on Friday or Saturday, we said what our preference was as to when we wanted to perform (my group at the time usually liked to be between groups 5-12 or so), and preference was given to whoever checked in first.  While that order might get shifted in rehearsal when discoveries were made about how costumes/routines interacted in the schedule (I remember a Black Lady cosplay moving her skit when she discovered she was preceded by another Black Lady cosplay at rehearsal), those were the exceptions not the rule.

I mostly just want to know what to expect.  I want to have things in writing so that I or somebody else doesn't get missed at rehearsal, I want to have an idea of approximately when I will be performing when I check in at Fanime so I can have the next couple days to mentally prepare myself for that.  And I want everybody else to have that as well.  It's way less stressful for all of us - the stress of performance and finishing a costume is enough without the stress of not knowing what is going on added to it.

KuriQueenofFeels

Quote from: Enkai on April 21, 2015, 12:41:39 PM

Could you please? The MC issue is a minor one, but ensuring the rules are being followed before Fanime itself is I think in everybody's benefit.  I'm guessing you don't want to deal with the fallout of telling some Frozen cosplayer who's put hours into their costume for masquerade that their costume doesn't follow the rules and they've been disqualified.  Not when you could have told them that in advance.  Better for you in that you don't have to deal with it then, better for them so that they know before the time sink.
Ok, so I wasn't going to bring this issue up, considering it actually would make me and my friend disqualified, but. When the heck has the Asian only media rule ever actually been put into place? I know for a fact over the years there has been non asian inspired cosplays entered in the masquerade, and they have won major awards at that. I could understand it as a 'preference' to have asian only, but having it restricted to only that does seem a little crazy with how the actual convention seems to go with cosplays/ media and such.
Off the top of my head last year there was 2 Elsas, adventure time, Marvel/DC cosplayers, plus in past years there has been things like portal completely allowed.
I just kind of want to know if we'll be safe or not, because I've been looking forward to competeing again,and i think that's a very silly rule to make us unable to.
Cosplay Lineup 2017
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Enkai

Oh, the rule has always been there, it's just been unevenly enforced.  IIRC in the Portal case, that was a misunderstanding about the origin, and the marvel skit I remember was Marvel versus Capcom which is kinda a grey area (like Kingdom Hearts). But it definitely was enforced before the management change. I remember a discussion on the forums about whether Avatar was acceptable.

Honestly, I only care because there is a rule there, and it's not fair to the people that changed their behavior because of it. People were complaining about the Frozen skits last year, and the rule stayed there.  That's why I think enforcement is important this year, and why I brought Frozen up, is because now there is precedent for the rule being blatantly broken, but the rule is still there.

Whether or not that rule should still be there is a discussion that should happen.  And heck, just throwing the rule out this year is an option; it's Fanime's masquerade.  But there is a rule there, and staff ignoring their own rules doesn't fill those paying attention with confidence (part of the reason I'm not competing anymore.)

And this is probably the most lawful neutral thing I have ever posted.

KuriQueenofFeels

Quote from: Enkai on April 23, 2015, 07:45:33 PM
Oh, the rule has always been there, it's just been unevenly enforced.  IIRC in the Portal case, that was a misunderstanding about the origin, and the marvel skit I remember was Marvel versus Capcom which is kinda a grey area (like Kingdom Hearts). But it definitely was enforced before the management change. I remember a discussion on the forums about whether Avatar was acceptable.

Honestly, I only care because there is a rule there, and it's not fair to the people that changed their behavior because of it. People were complaining about the Frozen skits last year, and the rule stayed there.  That's why I think enforcement is important this year, and why I brought Frozen up, is because now there is precedent for the rule being blatantly broken, but the rule is still there.

Whether or not that rule should still be there is a discussion that should happen.  And heck, just throwing the rule out this year is an option; it's Fanime's masquerade.  But there is a rule there, and staff ignoring their own rules doesn't fill those paying attention with confidence (part of the reason I'm not competing anymore.)

And this is probably the most lawful neutral thing I have ever posted.
Oh no, I know that the rule has always been there, that's why it concerns me a little bit. I've always done Final Fantasy cosplays, so I've personally been safe but I just feel like it would be kind of dumb to start super enforcing that rule. Also, I'm really not even talking about skits either like, last year during rehersals I hung out with a Harley Quiin and an Elsa. Elsa was in a skit, but Harley did a walk on and won some sort of performance award if I remember right.
We're planning on doing Assassin's Creed 4 this year, and I just personally think it is kind of dumb to restrict who can enter based on media when there is not a separate competition for everything else. I've worked my butt off on these two cosplays for the last 5ish? months ( and still am at the moment) and I would like to be recognized for the craftsmenship I've done >>.
Cosplay Lineup 2017
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Enkai

Okay, I'm understanding where you are coming from more, and I'm in agreement.

I was basically ignoring last year because the rule was so blatantly ignored, in spite of still being on the books.  That was a fail on the part of masquerade staff - 2012 and before, as best I can recall, with exception of a few misunderstandings (SO many gray areas), when a skit did slip through the cracks, it usually didn't get an award, even if it was excellent.

However, to somebody only considering last year as far as what's allowed that rule not being in place is a reasonable assumption.  Many of them got awards as well, so that's confirmation it's okay!

If the rules had been posted earlier, as they should have been (oh, and they still aren't on the website yet), you all would have been able to catch that before you started putting hours and hours into your costumes, which was what I was trying to avoid by suggesting that entries were checked for what people were cosplaying in advance.  Because that is horrible to put that amount of time into something due to an utter failure on the part of the staff.

It all comes down to that failure last year.  Those of us who have lived with the rule a while have an expectation of what should be fixed (fix enforcement or change the rule), and those who just remember last year think the rule isn't there in the first place.

Whatever's done about that is up to staff, so I really can't say whether or not it's okay.  Understanding where you're coming from, I hope that the rule's just discarded for this year because of the past precedent.

I just want to see that written down in the main rules section, SO EVERYBODY ELSE KNOWS. Forum diving shouldn't be a necessity for understanding what's allowed and not allowed.

KuriQueenofFeels

Has anyone gotten a confirmation email yet? It is a bit concerning that we're 25? days away from fanime and I've still yet to know if we're actually doing the masquerade or not.
Cosplay Lineup 2017
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

ash

I haven't got a confirmation email either and I registered a while ago. Its kind of worrying since the project I'm about to start is very work intensive. It would be horrible if I put all the work in and I don't even have a spot.

PrincessSquib

I haven't gotten a reply yet either. Its a little concerning, but if worse comes to worse, we register at the convention.

I'm also concerned about the "grey area" of the masquerade. I have a few video game characters, 2/3 are of Asian descent, the other is american. But since they're altogether in one skit, I think It'll be fine. Any Thoughts?
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz