Registration form for Fanime 2015 Masquerade - Cosplay Spectacular

Started by Erik_anderson, April 12, 2015, 11:37:52 PM

identivity

ash

If you have a question about your costume being OK for the masquerade you can always email [email protected] and ask if its OK that's what I always do and they'll normally be OK with it.

Enkai

(Yes, I am still watching this thread even though I am not in masq anymore.)

I had never received a registration confirmation, but I did get a response to my email requesting being removed from the list a couple days ago.  You can always try emailing [email protected] just to find out if you are even registered.

KuriQueenofFeels

Quote from: PrincessSquib on April 30, 2015, 03:53:10 PM
I haven't gotten a reply yet either. Its a little concerning, but if worse comes to worse, we register at the convention.

I'm also concerned about the "grey area" of the masquerade. I have a few video game characters, 2/3 are of Asian descent, the other is american. But since they're altogether in one skit, I think It'll be fine. Any Thoughts?

We're completely just ignoring the rule and doing Assassin's Creed since everything under the sun was allowed last year. I think you're fine though, you have some asian stuff and that seems to be all the rule cares about which I still think is kinda dumb
Cosplay Lineup 2017
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret
Friday: Death Scene Dress
Saturday: Kingsglaive
Monday: Casual Short Dress

Sunday: Vaporeon, with group

PrincessSquib

Quote from: KuriQueenofFeels on May 01, 2015, 04:57:46 PM
Quote from: PrincessSquib on April 30, 2015, 03:53:10 PM
I haven't gotten a reply yet either. Its a little concerning, but if worse comes to worse, we register at the convention.

I'm also concerned about the "grey area" of the masquerade. I have a few video game characters, 2/3 are of Asian descent, the other is american. But since they're altogether in one skit, I think It'll be fine. Any Thoughts?

We're completely just ignoring the rule and doing Assassin's Creed since everything under the sun was allowed last year. I think you're fine though, you have some asian stuff and that seems to be all the rule cares about which I still think is kinda dumb
All Will Be Well.... I hope
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Angelx624

I haven't gotten any confirmation, either....... would like to know if my group is in or not.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

KuriQueenofFeels

Quote from: Angelx624 on May 02, 2015, 02:13:04 AM
I haven't gotten any confirmation, either....... would like to know if my group is in or not.
same... I've been checking my email every day and im like well on nothing yet... 20 days till the con thats totally not a big deal or anything...
Cosplay Lineup 2017
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Angelx624

Quote from: KuriQueenofFeels on May 02, 2015, 11:33:15 AM
same... I've been checking my email every day and im like well on nothing yet... 20 days till the con thats totally not a big deal or anything...
My group is honestly thinking about moving our skit to Sac-Anime cause this is ridiculous.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

citrus

Anybody still excited for the con after dealing with all this crap?

KuriQueenofFeels

Quote from: Angelx624 on May 02, 2015, 08:33:21 PM
Quote from: KuriQueenofFeels on May 02, 2015, 11:33:15 AM
My group is honestly thinking about moving our skit to Sac-Anime cause this is ridiculous.
For a skit yeah, I completely don't blame you. Its a hell of a lot of work and this is just a mess.

Quote from: citrus on May 03, 2015, 01:14:37 AM
Anybody still excited for the con after dealing with all this crap?
I'm still excited to go to fanime.... just a bit annoyed that this is taking so long. I would just like to know if we're in tbh.
Cosplay Lineup 2017
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Erik_anderson

Hi all,

I just ran the whole conformation system through my email account.  You should have receive both your conformation and a dropbox invite.

I am working with a few groups on their theme questions.  On the Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag cosplay in-particular, while there are characters like Shao Jun in the game and the source is a bit universal 17th century which included the opening of the East to the West it does put us into an interesting pickle.  Then again, we have many western styled Japanese Manga like full metal alchemist.  If you were not aware of the origin of the series you may be tempted to think it was a US or German production.  I've already sent you my queries.

Also to clarify, yes last year a number of act did make it into the show that did not fit the rule and when I asked for feedback the majority of it expressed an interest in keeping to the convention and the masquerade in particular more Asia themed given the number of venues for general media and american comics out there.  This as I understand it is a line that at times gets crossed.  Two years ago there was a Gi Joe entries and so on.   

~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~
An evil so refined that it knows which fork to use... but chooses not to.

Erik_anderson

To address a few posts:

I will try to be transparent as possible around the logic I am using and how it plays out.  I would like to move this to a different thread though. 

KuriQueenofFeels

QuoteI'm also concerned about the "grey area" of the masquerade. I have a few video game characters, 2/3 are of Asian descent, the other is american. But since they're altogether in one skit, I think It'll be fine. Any Thoughts?

The race of the characters is less of a concern as the origin or feel of the work.  Aforementioned Full Metal Alchemist as an example. in recent years most anime comming out of Japan and Korea seems to have predominantly american looking characters, but are clearly works created from or to these markets. 

A good grey area is Big hero 6, it is a american franchise, based off (in very small part) a Marvel property, but its a clearly Asia themed source.  My view is I would include it, its not a avengers / Star Trek or Matrix with an undertone of a western prospective and style, its a, often comically, styled anime motion picture. 

Ok, so I wasn't going to bring this issue up, considering it actually would make me and my friend disqualified, but. When the heck has the Asian only media rule ever actually been put into place? I know for a fact over the years there has been non asian inspired cosplays entered in the masquerade, and they have won major awards at that. I could understand it as a 'preference' to have asian only, but having it restricted to only that does seem a little crazy with how the actual convention seems to go with cosplays/ media and such.

I think the clear understanding is that if a cosplay is an exception to a rule it needs to be discussed and approved. Perhaps I should be more clear on this, but in general folks ask.  I am limited to what I can talk about this year, because I just ethically can't talk about someones cosplay before they have a chance to show it, however one of them is from a clear US game property that had a very much Asia themed elements and even a clear desire to embrace it.  Ensuring this is clear in the presentation is enough for me to quality the performance. Examples of other rules which exceptions are made for: Time limits, music requirements, and number of people on the stage.

A ten plus years ago there was no question if you brought a cosplay to an anime convention it was 99% likely related to an anime theme.  However as the rise in popularity of cosplay and conventions in general has grown the blending and in some cases the over saturation of general or popular media has caused people to want to push back and preserve more of the anime feel.

On the flip side I understand where you are coming from, the vast majority of my cosplays are not anime focused because frankly there are very few stocky white guy characters in the current crop of titles. I also complete at ComicCons, Dr who conventions and the like, so I see first hand some of the amazing cosplays out there that don't qualify.

Enkai

QuoteIt doesn't have to be planned before Fanime, though it could be, but I dunno, something like how it was before.  When we checked in on Friday or Saturday, we said what our preference was as to when we wanted to perform (my group at the time usually liked to be between groups 5-12 or so), and preference was given to whoever checked in first.  While that order might get shifted in rehearsal when discoveries were made about how costumes/routines interacted in the schedule (I remember a Black Lady cosplay moving her skit when she discovered she was preceded by another Black Lady cosplay at rehearsal), those were the exceptions not the rule.

I don't see any issue with your preference and how we are planning on scheduling the run book.  There are tweaks I do make to balance out long running skits, to many back to back tends to make them forgettable and also the audience impatient.  You already brought up the duplicate franchise issue, but there is also how much room to stage a large group.  Its much more efficient to not have 4 8 person groups back to back.  So some discretion is used, but it in no way means that compromises can not be made.

I'm going to move this over to a thread on "Anime theme rule" thread.

Angelx624

Ok, so for the Liability Release, does each person in the group have to fill it out, or just the one who registered the group?
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Erik_anderson

Hi Angelx624,

Each person, includes helpers who will be back stage.

Angelx624

(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)