FANIMECON 2015 KARAOKE: Events and Info!

Started by Ska, April 18, 2015, 05:48:48 PM

tianyan

Question regarding acoustikaraoke!

What defines a small group?  If we have 5 people (combination of guitarists/vocalists), would that be too many?

Thanks again!

Shogi

Quote from: Ska on April 20, 2015, 12:35:56 PM
Our song list is located at http://www.anime-karaoke.com

Super excited for this!!

Just a quick question! For the contest, if we chose a song from the list you guys have available, then do we just let the tech team know as we're walking up to the stage? Or do we still need to bring in our own copy of that music? (if we've made it into the contest that is)

I really am looking forward to this! Can't wait!  ;D

marisuga

If my costume involves an electric guitar can I bring it on stage with me? I don't actually know how to play so I wouldn't be using it (except for performance effect aka pretending to play chords possibly but as I said before, I really don't know how to at all) Would this be allowed?

coolasplastic

Quote from: Ska on April 20, 2015, 12:35:56 PM
Quote from: Alexie828 on April 20, 2015, 02:19:11 AM
Where's the link to the list of songs that are already available in the karaoke library? :) And can we request new songs to be added like in previous years?
Our song list is located at http://www.anime-karaoke.com
I'll start a thread for new song requests if there isn't already one/no one makes one before me. As always, we can't promise we will get all of the songs you want, but we will definitely try!

Hi Ska! I haven't seen a song request thread yet so I'm wondering what the status on that is. There's just a few J-rock pieces I'd really like to see available. Thanks for all your hard work!
Friendship is the best thing ever!

Ska

Quote from: ZeroBudgetGamer on May 05, 2015, 05:13:36 AM
If I were to use this song, would I be able to use the Instrumental version without penalty...

It's within the game itself, therefore OK. We'll be able to hear your voice cleanly and it doesn't violate any rules so it's desirable to have it done that way.

Quote from: tianyan on May 05, 2015, 07:40:17 AM
Question regarding acoustikaraoke! What defines a small group?  If we have 5 people (combination of guitarists/vocalists), would that be too many?

A small group would be 'one that can comfortably fit on our stage'. 5 should be fine. I won't say a max number because we may or may not be able to accommodate more depending on what you're doing, what instruments you'll be using(if any), and so on.

Quote from: Shogi on May 05, 2015, 12:28:59 PM
if we chose a song from the list you guys have available, then do we just let the tech team know as we're walking up to the stage? Or do we still need to bring in our own copy of that music?
When you check in, you'll verify you're going to use the song from our database. You'll be reminded if it's not a karaoke track that it'll be vocally dampened. At that point I should have the number to enter it in for you when it's your turn to sing, and I'll double-check with you before you take the stage that everything is correct.

Quote from: marisuga on May 06, 2015, 01:22:25 AM
If my costume involves an electric guitar can I bring it on stage with me? I don't actually know how to play so I wouldn't be using it (except for performance effect aka pretending to play chords possibly but as I said before, I really don't know how to at all) Would this be allowed?
From the rules:
Any props carried on stage must be relevant to your costume or outfit and not impact or disrupt your performance in any way. Props that alter the lighting or staging of your performance are not allowed. You must clear all prop usage with staff before your performance. Cosplay prop usage may be considered as a minimal factor in your overall stage presence/performance but will not impact your score.

So, yes you can bring an electric guitar on stage if the prop is part of your costume. This isn't acoustikaraoke so playing it isn't something we're concerned with. You'll still have to clear it for use at con when you check in to the contest, but that's mainly just to let say 'here i have this, i'll be using it, i need to have it cleared for use as per your rules' and we'll look it over, make sure it isn't some dangerous lost artifact that will rain blood on us, then say 'ok sure'

Quote from: coolasplastic on May 06, 2015, 07:31:16 PM
Hi Ska! I haven't seen a song request thread yet so I'm wondering what the status on that is. There's just a few J-rock pieces I'd really like to see available. Thanks for all your hard work!
I forgot!! I'll make that RIGHT NOW! AAAA! Thanks for reminding me. If you have those requests get them ready! we don't have much time to try to find them!

coolasplastic

Quote from: Ska on May 06, 2015, 10:42:37 PM

Quote from: coolasplastic on May 06, 2015, 07:31:16 PM
I forgot!! I'll make that RIGHT NOW! AAAA! Thanks for reminding me. If you have those requests get them ready! we don't have much time to try to find them!

thx bae
Friendship is the best thing ever!

diligentsesame

Hi there! If we have an exhibitor's badge, are we eligible to participate?

Dreamanimeworks1994

I have a question, can you sing the songs in English ?

Hiyuki Hime

Quote from: Dreamanimeworks1994 on May 12, 2015, 10:17:22 PM

I think the rules say that if its an english adaption of a japanese song for the series it comes from then its ok. if its fanmade then its not allowed

okitasemi

I think when I signed up there's a message saying the entry list will be available 2 weeks prior to the con. So...is it available now?

Ska

Quote from: diligentsesame on May 12, 2015, 02:49:11 PM
Hi there! If we have an exhibitor's badge, are we eligible to participate?

Exhibitors are allowed according to our rules.

Our rules about eligibility are as follows:
The contest is open to all registered convention attendees. You must have a valid badge for the day(s) of the contest.
Convention Staff and Guests of Honor are not eligible for the contest.

So, have fun entering the contest!

Quote from: Dreamanimeworks1994 on May 12, 2015, 10:17:22 PM
A good question, one which Hiyuki Hime is correct on, but there are some nuances to this rule.

First of all, for your general song, the rules state that you are restricted to a few different categories - anime, video game, jpop, and a few others. This is a very broad song selection, and clever people will sing to their strengths.

However, the other song choice MUST be from an anime (as defined in our rules.) This limits choices considerably. In addition there's this -
Popular western songs that are used in an anime are not valid. For example, Roundabout is not valid even though it was used in Jojo, since it's been around about 40 years.
There is a flipside, though.
Songs that have been commercially dubbed(not fandubs) for the anime are valid. This doesn't just apply to english, but other languages as well. Moonlight Densetsu in english or Cha-la head cha-la in spanish are good references for songs that are eligible.
Also, as long as the song is done specifically for the anime(or released within the same year, enough so that it's associated with the anime) it should be valid. Ask DNA from Cowboy Bebop is an example of one of these songs, and there are quite a few others if you look around. ;)

Speaking as a concerned citizen (Remember I'm just tech and have nothing to do with the judging process) - Be careful if you go this route. Many have done so before you and many will in the future. Make sure the song highlights your singing abilities. Make sure the song gives you a chance to show them off, don't choose it only because it's in english. It will mean nothing if your song choice doesn't let you shine. In addition, some of these songs are very well known and well traveled - If you want to impress the judges at these songs, you're going to have to blow it out of the park!

Just some friendly advice. I hope it helps!

Quote from: okitasemi on May 13, 2015, 02:04:01 PM
I think when I signed up there's a message saying the entry list will be available 2 weeks prior to the con. So...is it available now?
We are closing the submissions... well, now, in fact! we just got 35 so signups are closed for the main contest. We have to go through them and validate all the entries, make sure aren't any problems, then we'll let everyone know that they are in the contest! stay tuned for that

Alexie828

Will the order of contestants be posted online? :o

RoyalSlothCos

Is it too late to sign up for the gong show? And are MP3/phones okay if the song is on there?
Fanime 2015 cosplay;
Luka Megurine (Seven Deadly Sins - Lust)-Friday
Pyrrha (RWBY)-Saturday
Navi/Proxi (LOZ: OoT/Hyrule Warriors)-Sunday
Yumoto Hakone (Bouei-bu - School uniform)-Monday
GoT style dress (cold nights only)

Making;
Juan (RWBY (for a friend)

princesskitty18

Quote from: queeniesloth on May 17, 2015, 08:24:06 PM
Is it too late to sign up for the gong show? And are MP3/phones okay if the song is on there?

phones are a no-go for sure. but a regular mp3/ipod should be fine.
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Ska

Alright, this is my last update before it's time to dive into the show, so here goes.

Quote from: Alexie828 on May 17, 2015, 02:17:51 PM
Will the order of contestants be posted online? :o

Contestant order is handled at the show, due to things like people dropping out, people having a preference of if they'd like to go earlier or later, and so on.

Quote from: queeniesloth on May 17, 2015, 08:24:06 PM

As far as I know, both Gong Show and Acoustikaraoke are still open, and will remain so until we close it down :3c

Phones: During open mic, you may play mp3's that are saved to your phone, though if someone calls you during your performance it may be broadcast to the entire room. Just saying.
No youtube or other streaming services though, I guarantee it will drop your song part of the way through.

Ok, can't wait to see you all at the show!