Swap meet 2015 feedback thread

Started by FanFicGuru, May 23, 2015, 02:05:45 AM

FanFicGuru

Well, we've wrapped up another great year for swap meet! We are interested in hearing your feedback on the venue, timing and other elements of the event. While we are absolutely prepared for negative feedback, please be sure it is done in a constructive way so that we can make specific changes to improve swap meet.

As a pre-emotive measure, please note we sincerely apologize for the last minute re-scheduling on Friday night. Without going into too much detail, it was important that we were actually out of the venue by a certain time. Our apologies again for the last minute schedule change.

I look forward to your responses!

Jeremy Snow
Swap Meet Second
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Romiress

I attended Thursday but not Friday.

First of all, compared to last year it was amazing. Last year I spent about two hours in line after it should have opened and ended up giving up entirely without ever getting in.

It was night in day in that aspect. That said, right before we got in we had a member of staff telling us we'd hopefully be getting in 15 minutes from then, and then immediately after the line started moving. Small communication issue, but was a bit confusing.

Beyond that, my experience was fine once I got in there, although some sellers were still setting up because of arriving late.

Admiral Donuts

Was there a reason we were in half the hall and not spread out more?

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on May 23, 2015, 09:07:57 AM
Was there a reason we were in half the hall and not spread out more?

Space management mainly. Makes it easier for staff/rovers to monitor the event if it's as condensed as possible. Of course if the demand called for it we would have expanded but it wasn't really necessary. Also, given the choice of being closer to the front or farther back, most sellers chose the former.

Hopefully, if we get the venue again, we can pack it front to back! :D
Swap meet staff - 2014

kookiekween99

I sold on Thursday and shopped on Friday. I'm so happy with the new venue, and I hope we get to use it again in the future. My only issue was that as a seller, I didn't have a lot of time to set up my space before shoppers started coming in, meaning I was still scrambling to set everything up while people were looking and asking about prices.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

srossi455

Hi, I've been selling at Fanime swap meet for 7 years, and this was by far the best it's been setup, especially on Friday. Registration was a breeze, checking in was a breeze, and I had ample time to setup before buyers were let in.

There was only one blemish on an otherwise perfect swap meet, and that was that during the last 5 minutes, while we were putting stuff away, the dealer -mod edit- came over, reeking of beer, and tried to low ball us, not taking no for an answer, instead trying to add stuff to his purchase and make a ridiculously low offer. The guy wouldn't quit and kept hassling us. This was WHILE we were trying to pack up. I haven't had trouble with any other dealers coming to swap meet aside from these guys, and this isn't the first time it's happened.

*Mod notes* We are currently investigating.

srossi455

I'm sorry to have ended that on a negative note. As far as swap meet was officiated everything was an absolute blast and I await next year's event! :)

FanFicGuru

Quote from: srossi455 on May 23, 2015, 11:24:21 AM
Hi, I've been selling at Fanime swap meet for 7 years, and this was by far the best it's been setup, especially on Friday. Registration was a breeze, checking in was a breeze, and I had ample time to setup before buyers were let in.

There was only one blemish on an otherwise perfect swap meet, and that was that during the last 5 minutes, while we were putting stuff away, the dealer from -mod edit- came over, reeking of beer, and tried to low ball us, not taking no for an answer, instead trying to add stuff to his purchase and make a ridiculously low offer. The guy wouldn't quit and kept hassling us. This was WHILE we were trying to pack up. I haven't had trouble with any other dealers coming to swap meet aside from these guys, and this isn't the first time it's happened.

I'm glad that things went well for you (largely). The issue regarding the vendor is a bit worrisome. I would advise you to reach out to Johnathan, head of dealers hall, if you would like to file a complaint. No buyer should harass a seller like that, let alone a vendor.

Again, I'm glad everything else went well! :D
Swap meet staff - 2014

FanFicGuru

Quote from: kookiekween99 on May 23, 2015, 10:53:17 AM
I sold on Thursday and shopped on Friday. I'm so happy with the new venue, and I hope we get to use it again in the future. My only issue was that as a seller, I didn't have a lot of time to set up my space before shoppers started coming in, meaning I was still scrambling to set everything up while people were looking and asking about prices.

Sorry that you felt rushed! We definitely tried to make sure all sellers had ample time for setup. I think what happened was we were letting quite a few people keep more than 2 people per space after everything was moved in so we had a lot of people wandering during the setup time shopping when it should have mainly been primary/secondary sellers.

Swap meet staff - 2014

GamerscloseT

Just wanted to say the location was great. Everything went smooth and that we had plenty of room which is nice. The only issues for me were that I couldn't play any music which I know is not really an issue. But I hope next year I can. The other issue as a previous seller has mentioned. I too was being hassled by the same guy from the dealers hall. He was trying to buy all my games for next to nothing. I noticed he was trying to get games from another seller who was by me. So I'm sure he talked to other sellers who had video games. For me this was a first since being a seller at swap for 5 years. I was just surprised.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: GamerscloseT on May 23, 2015, 05:46:07 PM
Just wanted to say the location was great. Everything went smooth and that we had plenty of room which is nice. The only issues for me were that I couldn't play any music which I know is not really an issue. But I hope next year I can. The other issue as a previous seller has mentioned. I too was being hassled by the same guy from the dealers hall. He was trying to buy all my games for next to nothing. I noticed he was trying to get games from another seller who was by me. So I'm sure he talked to other sellers who had video games. For me this was a first since being a seller at swap for 5 years. I was just surprised.

Okay I'll let Johnathan know personally. Thank you for that information and feedback!
Swap meet staff - 2014

FanFicGuru

Quote from: FanFicGuru on May 24, 2015, 09:00:55 AM
Quote from: GamerscloseT on May 23, 2015, 05:46:07 PM

Okay I'll let Johnathan know personally. Thank you for that information and feedback!

Just so everyone knows, we've addressed this issue. Please email [email protected] if you also were visited by the vendor. Thank you!
Swap meet staff - 2014

Ecchi ja Nai

I think I still like being in one of the large halls in the actual SJCC better as the location for swap meet, but this year's venue was fantastic!  The floors were filthy so I'm glad I decided to bring tarps this year.  The two biggest benefits for having it in the SJCC proper is it's a lot easier for me to get all my stuff in - I usually park in the garage, so I don't need to deal with crossing streets and deal with curbs and cracks in the sidewalk when I'm already in the same building - and convenience for shoppers who are already milling about and don't need to walk that admittedly short half-block distance to the south hall.  Having the wider spots definitely seemed to make things easier for display and for people to shop without having a huge mob around some places.  I'm not sure the SJCC would allow for those same wide spaces and still be able to accommodate the number of people that were there.  The $40 charge per night was a bit painful, but was manageable and worth all the improvements from the last couple years.  Still, if that price were to go down a little, I sure wouldn't be upset about it.

I don't really have any other negatives for this year other than the mad rush to pack up on Friday, which you've already addressed.  Thursday seemed a little thinner than previous Day 0's, excluding last year, but Friday had an incredible turnout.  And like someone already mentioned, being allowed to set up so early on Friday was great.  I usually get there early, but by the time we're let in I still wind up with a few things left to set up when folks are let in to shop.  On Friday, I was able to get everything laid out and make sure everything was labeled without having to rush.  I was completely set up and still had a few minutes to wander around before the doors opened.  I don't know if it worked better or not for staff, but I hope we're allowed to get in the same way in future swap meets, or at least allow us to start getting in earlier than an hour before things start.

Huge shoutout to this year's staff.  Great job, guys!  This was definitely one of the best run Fanime swap meets, at least from a seller's perspective.

To paraphrase GLaDOS, I think you guys can make a note regarding this year: Huge success!

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 24, 2015, 05:56:58 PM
I think I still like being in one of the large halls in the actual SJCC better as the location for swap meet, but this year's venue was fantastic!  The floors were filthy so I'm glad I decided to bring tarps this year.  The two biggest benefits for having it in the SJCC proper is it's a lot easier for me to get all my stuff in - I usually park in the garage, so I don't need to deal with crossing streets and deal with curbs and cracks in the sidewalk when I'm already in the same building - and convenience for shoppers who are already milling about and don't need to walk that admittedly short half-block distance to the south hall.  Having the wider spots definitely seemed to make things easier for display and for people to shop without having a huge mob around some places.  I'm not sure the SJCC would allow for those same wide spaces and still be able to accommodate the number of people that were there.  The $40 charge per night was a bit painful, but was manageable and worth all the improvements from the last couple years.  Still, if that price were to go down a little, I sure wouldn't be upset about it.

I don't really have any other negatives for this year other than the mad rush to pack up on Friday, which you've already addressed.  Thursday seemed a little thinner than previous Day 0's, excluding last year, but Friday had an incredible turnout.  And like someone already mentioned, being allowed to set up so early on Friday was great.  I usually get there early, but by the time we're let in I still wind up with a few things left to set up when folks are let in to shop.  On Friday, I was able to get everything laid out and make sure everything was labeled without having to rush.  I was completely set up and still had a few minutes to wander around before the doors opened.  I don't know if it worked better or not for staff, but I hope we're allowed to get in the same way in future swap meets, or at least allow us to start getting in earlier than an hour before things start.

Huge shoutout to this year's staff.  Great job, guys!  This was definitely one of the best run Fanime swap meets, at least from a seller's perspective.

To paraphrase GLaDOS, I think you guys can make a note regarding this year: Huge success!

Thanks for the great feedback! We definitely saw the structure on Friday seemed to streamline check-in and make it easier all around. We know the price was higher than previous years, but hopefully the larger spaces helped to make it worth your while. :D
Swap meet staff - 2014

warbearer

Quote from: srossi455 on May 23, 2015, 11:24:21 AM

There was only one blemish on an otherwise perfect swap meet, and that was that during the last 5 minutes, while we were putting stuff away, the dealer from -mod edit- came over, reeking of beer, and tried to low ball us, not taking no for an answer, instead trying to add stuff to his purchase and make a ridiculously low offer. The guy wouldn't quit and kept hassling us. This was WHILE we were trying to pack up. I haven't had trouble with any other dealers coming to swap meet aside from these guys, and this isn't the first time it's happened.

Really? I thought it was a dealer from -mod edit- was the one who came to my spot and tried to lowball and bargain with me video games with ridiculously low price near midnight. And then he just dumps the games on the floor.

How do I know? Because he was wearing a -mod edit- shirt. I think you are that dealer from -mod edit- who is trying to face your face by denying you tried to lowball so you can resell my stuff at your booth. You even admitted on Saturday that you bought my stuff and reselling it and then you deny it afterwards.

And you tried to discredit -mod edit- because they refused to bargain with you and you got hurt. You probably got hurt by me too and tried to pass yourself as me because I have been warning others about -mod edit- and what they did to me and other dealers in the past.

If you are this -mod edit- dealer, then this is the worst and lowest thing to do just so you can be the only video game dealer in Fanime. I do not appreciate you doing this. I should blacklist -mod edit-.

PS. I have already told the Fanime Staff from the Dealers Room about your post and that -mod edit- Dealer at the Swapmeet. They are thinking of an investigation.

Anon

I got nothing but kudos for you guys running the swap meet this year, 'grats on the new venue, hope you can secure it again for next year. I'm guessing the half hour earlier check-in was to make up the half hour earlier closing time? Kind of would prefer the shoopers would have been given an extra half hour early as well, but I guess that was an executive decision. Didn't hear any complaints from people not knowing where it was or anything. I even saw you guys telling one guy to pump those brakes, no bringing in extra stuff after being checked in.

Hearing all these complaints about dealers coming in, lowballing, then reselling in the dealers hall kind of makes me want to sell game stuff at next year's swap, just so I can have some fun with them. My friends and I love handling those kinds of characters. Unfortunately I don't like selling my personal collection of games and related items unless I specifically bought them to resell. Video Game Hoarder Lyfe yo

Avairrianna

As a shopper on both days the only thing I have to comment on was the line control. Thursday was great with several staff members controlling the line but Friday was a little different. With only one staff member working the line and with him having a mask on and that "Linecon" sign many people disregarded him as staff and cut in lines. Other people in line were conducting the line now than he was... I just wish there were more staff out there or that the one was vocal instead of relying on the sign...
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

bahamutknightzero

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised with Swap Meet this year (went on Friday), location was big and still rather convenient. Can't really think of a downside

Kyra_Maverick

Wonderful swapmeet this year.

Great location and the size of the selling space was nice. I wish the sellers were a bit more spaced out though. Some stalls are going to be more crowded then others and it would help congestion if next year either the walkway was wider or if there was a bit of breathing room between spaces.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on May 25, 2015, 09:22:38 PM
Wonderful swapmeet this year.

Great location and the size of the selling space was nice. I wish the sellers were a bit more spaced out though. Some stalls are going to be more crowded then others and it would help congestion if next year either the walkway was wider or if there was a bit of breathing room between spaces.

Just so you know there were "pods" of 12 spaces each, 6'x14', with 13' aisles between rows, and a sizable 25' gap between pods. We definitely want everyone to feel like They have enough space, the problem becomes the sprawl, and it also ultimately reduces the number of spots we can offer.

Your feedback is appreciated! Next year we'll take a look at some alternative layouts and see what we can do to address this issue without compromising too much on space :D
Swap meet staff - 2014