Guests I Want For Music Fest 2016!!

Started by Kuudere, June 10, 2015, 12:33:19 PM

SquishyK

I think local bands would be cool so long as they maintain that relation to anime and japanese culture/influences (if anyone happens to know of appropriate bands post them, I'd love to check them out as I can't actually think of any myself). However, it has always been very exciting for me in the past to see an actual band/artist from Japan. Personally I wouldn't sacrifice that entirely even if it meant a much larger program.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Amarok

My 2 cents--just like I'm not really interested in seeing dub actors, I'm not really interested in seeing local bands, although I totally get that there are people who may want it. I always make an effort to go see all the Japanese bands you guys get to play every year even when they're not a genre I'm particularly into because I know the amount of work it takes to get somebody from overseas, and I appreciate the rare opportunity to get to see bands I wouldn't otherwise without going to Japan.  :D It's one of the big highlights of Fanime for me, so I'd be pretty disappointed if you went for local cover bands instead. If it's a numbers thing, I'd much rather see one or two artists from Japan instead of a bunch of local bands. And I agree with all of Ecchi ja Nai's comments/alternatives!

citrus

Yeah... the last time we had a state side artist playing. Not well received? Try having a crowd member boo so loud you can hear them! Fanime is always known to get a very big name to play. If you MUST have a local band. Make sure they have an actual reputation and people would know fairly well before having them perform in Musicfest.

I'm gonna be honest. If it wasn't for the headliner, Fanime would have NOTHING for me to return back to the convention. If we don't get a big name Japanese band or have a good reputation. I'd rather just skip the convention and save up for a convention that KNOWS what they are doing.

Oh and also? You guys want feedback since you always so call welcome it? Here's something you can work on  COMMUNICATION FOR EVERYTHING. GETTING INFORMATION OUT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. NO COOKIE CUT ANSWERS OR EXCUSES.

cutiebunny

The fact that you're asking this makes me wonder if one (or both) of the following things have occurred for Fanime 2016.

1) The big name group you thought was going to show up has canceled.  You know you can find local acts to fit the bill, but in order to justify it, you're going to ask attendees so you can later claim that you're catering to what (a small percentage) of your attendees want.  In other words, a Fanime 2012 repeat.

2) You're looking for ways to cut costs to fund the money into....'better' and/or more guests? Free water for all attendees?  Staff that can announce things in a timely fashion?

Fanime's one saving grace was their ability to get a solid Japanese group to perform.  Even when the rest of the guest list was (largely) disastrous, MusicFest would always round things out.  I even contemplated missing Animazement, despite them landing Nobuteru Yuuki, because of Home Made Kazoku in 2014.  For someone who has little interest in musical guests and goes to conventions solely for the animation guests, that was quite notable.

I hate seeing topics like these because I've seen similar request threads ignored in lieu of whatever Fanime management was already planning to do.  I guess it's great that you're the only large convention that I know of that still has a forum and allows people to post their thoughts, but I often wonder if that's just a meaningless gesture when our voiced concerns are rarely addressed. 

Kyra_Maverick

I would be very disappointed if the only musical guests were local garage bands. Fanime just isn't the proper audience for that. 

Acid_Android

As I've mentioned in my previous post, my asking the question has absolutely no reflection on what is happening for 2016 (and things ARE happening. I'm not at liberty to say what until it's all 'official.' And a repeat of 2012 is NOT happening.)

Let's just say I received feedback that said I was doing a disservice to FanimeCon attendees by not having a local band play, and this isn't the first time I've been told that I should strongly consider local bands. My attempt was to see if that feeling was felt by others who actually go to MusicFest. The survey was a tool for me to see if there was something that was really wanted apart from what we were already doing in focusing mostly on Japanese acquisitions.

MusicFest Manager 2009-Present
2008 MusicFest Guest Handler
2007 MusicFest Staff
MusicFest on Twitter!

NeoCrimson

Abingdon Boys School
Uverworld
Aqua Timez
Yoshiki Fukuyama
Inoue Joe
Jam Project
Mizuki Nana
SID
YUI
Wada Kouji
The Gazette
Chemistry
Nakajima Megumi & May'n

small list to start

TupacTheRobot

Aqua Timez
Lotus Juice
Taku Iwasaki
Teddyloid
BRADIO
Jam Project
Coda, TOMMY, and Jin Hashimoto
Hyadain
FLOW
Abingdon boys school
ClariS
The Aquabats
And Anamanaguchi

Kuudere

Meanwhile, MusicFest's twitter has been dropping hints of who's coming this year... So I think we'll get the announcement soon!

(I already figured it out based on the hints, but I don't want to spoil the surprise for others! I wasn't familiar with them before, but looked them up and they look like they'll put on a fun show. Congrats on getting that group, MF staff!)

Angelx624

Huh, those are some hints, alright. XDD Hope we hear who it is sooooon!!! ^___^

EDIT: I did some research, and I think I figured it out!! Wow......... Fanime........... coughthey'rehot :DDDD <3333
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Kuudere

Quote from: Angelx624 on March 24, 2016, 08:17:11 PM

EDIT: I did some research, and I think I figured it out!! Wow......... Fanime........... coughthey'rehot :DDDD <3333

I think I just saw your post on the Fanime fanpage...You did an awesome job in figuring it out! I did waaay more sleuthing and work to get to the answer, and you literally just googled it. Haha...wish I'd thought of that.

Angelx624

Quote from: Kuudere on March 24, 2016, 10:07:00 PM
Quote from: Angelx624 on March 24, 2016, 08:17:11 PM

I think I just saw your post on the Fanime fanpage...You did an awesome job in figuring it out! I did waaay more sleuthing and work to get to the answer, and you literally just googled it. Haha...wish I'd thought of that.
Well, I was getting stumped, and just went to google in plans of going through 5-member groups to find out who fit the hints. XDD I went to images, saw "them", went to their wiki page in a Jpop Wiki, I think it was?? And it said the youngest was 22, then I saw their song "Hush Hush", and that's when I knew......... XDDD

I was actually way off before, cause I was trying to find Jpop/Jrock songs with "monkeys" in the title. XDDD Cause I thought the monkeys had to do with the song in some way.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

SHINE14

Figured it out as well and I'm actually surprised. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, they haven't done any anime related work, huh? While I'm slightly disappointed, it's nice to see this group after all the genres we've been hearing the past couple years. Hopefully they put on a great show.

I probably won't receive an answer on this, but will there be a second act? :P

Angelx624

Yeah, I saw that they haven't done any stuff for anime, but I'm sure their performance will still be good!! ^^ (And yes, it's nice to see a jpop band for a change!! <3 )

I'm hoping there's a second one!! I mean, Back-On did great last year, but the concert felt so short with just one act. :( Hoping that getting just one act isn't a permanent thing!!
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

joAnnwashere

Reposting this here as an offhand suggestion since it popped into my head while posting in the main guests thread, and since we've been having discussions here on non-Japanese guests. ^^

QuoteI've gotten into watching Youtube playthroughs with my boyfriend, and one comedy gaming channel we're both huge fans of is Game Grumps. The main players are Arin and Danny who reside in LA, I believe. They're really personable and entertaining so panels featuring them would be great, they'd add even more variety into the lineup, and maybe could play against fans + do live playthroughs (is this a thing?) with the Gaming Hall. :)

Danny is also in a comedy band called Ninja Sex Party which would be a hilarious act at MusicFest or Stage Zero, though some songs are NSFW, and I don't actually know if that's allowed.. They're really popular too, so I wonder about the expense.

NSP isn't anime-related or meant to be a serious band, it's just appealingly nerdy, and would fit the Fanime crowd well. I agree in that it'd be even better to add in an indie Japanese group, but if not possible, a local group would be great too. My recommended hierarchy would be something like.. second Japanese headliner > indie Japanese group > American group with large following > indie American group > no additional groups. It'd be good to add in one more act as an opening, and for variety.

Some JP ones I'd like:
JAM Project (Think everyone would love hearing the One Punch Man theme in person)
Akino from bless4
Aoi Eir
Linked Horizon
The Oral Cigarettes
Man with a Mission
Any subdivision of E-Girls
....... Arashi... XD (Or Jun alone, he could just stand on stage and smile at the audience and everyone would be happy :3)

Acid_Android

LOL JoAnnwashere!!  I WISH we could get Arashi XD You can probably put me completely on record when I say that the probability of that happening is close to zero :(

Anyway, today should be really interesting :) Like in the afternoon around 5 pm lol  ;)
MusicFest Manager 2009-Present
2008 MusicFest Guest Handler
2007 MusicFest Staff
MusicFest on Twitter!

Mr. Wendell

Quote from: Mr. Wendell on June 13, 2015, 12:53:47 PM
BRADIO
Charisma.com
Silent Siren
Da-iCE
Shishido Kavka
Chotokkyu

Called it.  8) Do I get a cookie?  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wv3ha5qJSo
They hate this awful face, gonna cause **** in this place.

Mr. Wendell
Head '24, Host w/ the Most, Stage Zero, FanimeCon '06-'24
Life of the Party, (insert convention here)

Angelx624

Quote from: Mr. Wendell on March 29, 2016, 05:15:34 PM
Quote from: Mr. Wendell on June 13, 2015, 12:53:47 PM
BRADIO
Charisma.com
Silent Siren
Da-iCE
Shishido Kavka
Chotokkyu

Called it.  8) Do I get a cookie?  ;D
Yes, you totally do. :DD
I'm beyond excited thankyouFanime
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

ghoulpixel

I would love some Kpop bands like BTS or VIXX to come one day but I'd also love to have SID or AKB48 as well!
kal | they/them | cosplayer ♥ | (´・ω・`)
--
Fanime 2024 Lineup:
Friday - Priestess (IDV)
Saturday - Astarion (BG3)
Sunday - Gravekeeper (IDV) | Astarion (BG3) for B&W Ball
Monday - TBD

citrus

I'm open to J-pop groups like these... I've seen Momoiro Clover Z at AX and I did enjoy it. I can't exactly say it was my cup of tea though. I'm not really into the whole boy band or group thing. I just only hope they are not the only one playing this year. If anything, I hope they perform as an opening act or play for 2 whole hours.

Also... PLEASE tell me there is going to be more then just one artist...