10 (30.3%)
They did a good job, but some of them need to chill and get some manners
22 (66.7%)
Screw em, I hated them all!
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: June 04, 2004, 11:42:14 PM

Akaneten16

I didn't like how some of them were acting like they were better than us just cuz they were volunteering and stuff.  They were talking to us like they were ordering us.  For example, the line for the Nami Tamaki signing.  I happened to be at the end of the line, and this one guys ( don't even remember what he looks like) didn't even bother to be polite and just started ordering us to stand here or stand there and crap.  UNCOOL.

Next time maybe you guys should emphasize on politeness and etiquette.

-Jo

Eewwwww they're KISSING.  Where's my cootie shot? :[

Reina

I was a vol this year. And the other vols I met were pretty cool. I did see a few that I thought shouln't be vols, due to their... manner... but yea.
[size=9]a sig??
what's the point of putting down a sig?

hm....
maybe I'll set one up later..
maybe....
[/size]

Akaneten16

Quote from: "Reina"I was a vol this year. And the other vols I met were pretty cool. I did see a few that I thought shouln't be vols, due to their... manner... but yea.

I'm not saying all of you vols were like that, but some of them were indeed asking for an ass-kicking.

-Jo

Eewwwww they're KISSING.  Where's my cootie shot? :[

Tenba

A bunch of the volunteers were really nice and helpful, but there was this one really weird one.  During pre-reg, as a friend and I were leaving, this guy with a green volunteer badge stops us and asks us to show him our badges.  I had already packed mine away in my backpack since we were leaving the convention.  I thought he was joking and just wanted to see the picture or something, so I tried to laugh it off, but he was apparently serious and harrassed us and admonished us that we should have our badges at all times.  Um, this was pre-reg, we were headed away from the pre-reg and swap meet, we weren't trying to get into any events, and we were trying to go home!  I finally had to stop, make a mess in my backpack by digging through it for several minutes to find my buried badge (it was inside the pre-reg bag which was under the program guide and all the stuff I bought at the swap meet), and finally, he let us pass so we can leave the convention center and go home!!!

Reina

o.o? really?

I didn't know that there were those kinds of... idiots.. checking badges like that. I mean... he could have used some common sense. *sighs* some people i guess...
[size=9]a sig??
what's the point of putting down a sig?

hm....
maybe I'll set one up later..
maybe....
[/size]

ced1106

Yep. Unfortunately, one bad experience can ruin your day. One thought is for the program guide to have a "Volunteer and Staff Kudos and Complain" form. I'm under the impression from the pre-reg page that every badge has a number. So all you'd do is politely ask "Can I have your badge number" then fill out the form.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

Akito Starwind

Yes i was Staff this year and some Vols where just not right.. I suport the badge number Idea. we all ready do a reveiw of all Vols by Vols. what this means is that at the end of the Con each Vol fills out a sheet to rank other Vols. but i think we would have a better idea of how a Vol is doing From the Fans that he acts bad in front of, not other Vols that hes nice in front of.
Dealers Room Staff 2004
Dealers Room Staff 2005
Dealers Room Staff 2006
Dealers Room Staff 2007
Dealers Room Staff 2008

Leishu

I like the idea of that Kudos and complain form.

There were many, many Vols in past years who TOTALLY did a great job and deserved kudos. :)
Kabe ni kono Nyuuji wo tsukete mite kudasai.

Ska_Kitti

*claps* :D Yeah, good job. *prods the chad* I agree. Kudos for all.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

ced1106

Quote from: "Akito Starwind"Yes i was Staff this year and some Vols where just not right.. I suport the badge number Idea. we all ready do a reveiw of all Vols by Vols. what this means is that at the end of the Con each Vol fills out a sheet to rank other Vols. but i think we would have a better idea of how a Vol is doing From the Fans that he acts bad in front of, not other Vols that hes nice in front of.

Ooo... peer review!  :D

Actually, I think peer review would be fine, as well. At a con I worked at, the vol was missing a few... neurons... and I would have preferred working with another one. Likewise, the review would allow vols to provide useful feedback for how the vols were organized, how the room was used, event attendance, etc.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
Los Altos Gamesday, Monthly, Saturdays, 10am-11pm
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamesday/

Available Sundays for Fantasy Flight Games tabletop gaming in the Santa Clara area.

Skull Leader

I agree that some were rather rude and lacked common sense. I was a vol for the dances on sat and sun (Yeh, the quarter master with the skull and cross bones) I was trying to keep things organized, clean and fun. I remember the sigh of relief the dance group had when I came back to volunteer then next night. Next year I'm staff.  :)

Cheers
"Now I'm being followed by rocks!"

~Skull Leader~

Dagger-6

Quote from: "Skull Leader"I agree that some were rather rude and lacked common sense. I was a vol for the dances on sat and sun (Yeh, the quarter master with the skull and cross bones) I was trying to keep things organized, clean and fun. I remember the sigh of relief the dance group had when I came back to volunteer then next night. Next year I'm staff.  :)

Cheers

I'm going to take a wild guess as to who you are based off the skull and AIM screenname and volunteering at the dance. =P

Dear sweet jesus I know I was glad to see you and anyone else we could get our hands on there.  But you particularly did a good job, above and beyond.  Glad to hear you'll be staffing!  What department? Rovers?  :wink:

Hopefully the dances will be a little better organized for next year though.

Good to see you on the boards.  Was in the Alameda area last weekend, but was kept too busy to hang out.  Did you get an e-mail about the staff appreciation BBQ dealio?  I'll be trying to attend.  If you don't have the info for it, let me know and I'll forward it to you.

magz

Quote from: "Skull Leader"I agree that some were rather rude and lacked common sense. I was a vol for the dances on sat and sun (Yeh, the quarter master with the skull and cross bones) I was trying to keep things organized, clean and fun. I remember the sigh of relief the dance group had when I came back to volunteer then next night. Next year I'm staff.  :)

Cheers

I remember you. Good guy.

That is all I have to say.

M

If a Vol. (just like a Staffer) is being rude or whatever, feel free to take down their badge number (either the Vol. badge or their staff/member badge) and report them. Complaining about them on the forum post-con does nothing.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

otakuapprentice

i was a volunteer this year, and a bunch of the staff would always walk past me as i was volunteering and literally say, "you're STILL volunteering?! DUDE!".

i think it was funny when one of them begged me to come back the next night to volunteer, lol. true story. :)
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Graduisc

wow i was a vol again this year and yeah ive noticed a few mean volunteers in years past, not really this year because i wasnt around much this year, but the volunteers ive interacted with while volunteering at the masquerade were nice and looked like they had a real passion for the con. i was the dude in green directing traffic backstage.
and i thought i was mean. ahaha. volunteer since '03ish door guard all day everyday, i sit in front of my own door and say "nope, exit only."