Tips for an ABSOLUTE Noob?

Started by iAteTheRamen, January 14, 2016, 02:18:20 AM

iAteTheRamen

Hi everyone! This'll be my fourth year attending Fanime, but this is my first time on the forums... and my first time basically "adulting".

I've never made hotel reservations on my own before, and I have some social anxiety, so even asking for help here is kind of intimidating. From what I understand so far, the discounted Fanime rooms are really hard to get because of the rush of everyone trying to get one. I'm trying to get a room big enough for 3 - 4 people, but also trying to save money. Is the rush worth it, or should I just pay the regular price now?

What should I be expecting when I'm in the process of reserving a room? Can I pay with a debit card or cash? Do I pay online or do I pay in person? Are you supposed to check-in exactly at the hotel's check-in time? Help... ;__;

Vasyenka

Hello! The hotel situation can be a messy thing, though it wouldn't hurt to reserve a room at regular price just in case (though I heard that that doesn't allow for Fanime to have more rooms at their rate~ ;w;). Personally, I've gone on the waiting list after housing opened, and I've been able to receive my hotel of choice every time~ c: So there's the waiting list as well!

When you're actually reserving, you'll need to give your credit card information. It won't be charged with Fanime Housing, but after the last day to reserve rooms, you'll have to pay a penalty by then (this year, the last day is Tuesday, May 17, 2016). You will pay for your hotel in person when you actually arrive to your hotel. Also, while you can pay with debit and cash when you arrive to your hotel, using debit is inadvisable. Reason being, when the hotel takes the funds, it's directly taken from your bank account at that time. If you use the same debit card for your security deposit (all hotels require a security deposit for every night you stay, which will be refunded so long as you don't trash the room), it will take a few days to refund you your money, depending on your bank's policies. So overall, you'll be paying the hotel rate + security deposit, the latter which can be refunded.

You needn't check in at the very moment that it's said on the site. Most of the time, hotels will let you check in a little early if able, and so long as you arrive that first day, you'll be fine. I hope that made sense! ;w;
Fanimu 2022 Cosplay Lineup:
[Rutile] [Zhongli] [Sakuya Izayoi] [Tifa Lockhart] [Chain Chompette]

megamanjoe415

Hello and welcome to the Fanime Forums.

So in order to get a hotel, this year, you will need a badge first, which will give you a confirmation number when you receive your email.
You will need a credit card in order for you to get your room, as mentioned above, debit card is not advised. I have been on the waiting list for both 2013 and 2014, but as long as you are up before hotel registration comes up, you should be fine. You will not be charged, depending on hotel, until arrival. I have always chose the Fairmont, and that's how they always done it. Hotel security deposits are usually $100 a day, but as long as the room does not get demolished, which in some cases they have been to some people, you will get refunded usually 3-5 business days, after your stay.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Anime_Files
Fanime 2006

iAteTheRamen

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm now aware that reserving the room is a different process from actually paying for it. I'm still kind of confused though. Could you guys please break it down a little bit more for me? (I'm sorry!) For example, am I paying for anything at all during the reservation process?

My biggest (and probably only) problem right now is that I only have a debit card and cash, but no credit card. My dad said I could use his credit card for the security deposit, but I don't even know if paying for the deposit happens online or in person. xP I'm lost.

kookiekween99

You can use either a debit card or credit card to reserve the room. Nothing will be charged when you reserve it. This card is just to hold the room.

When you check in, you will need to have the card you used to reserve the room, but you can choose to put the security deposit on a different card. I highly recommend putting the security deposit on a credit card, because if you use a debit card, it can put a hold on your funds for weeks.

At the end of your stay, when you get your room invoice and go to check out, you pay in cash at the front desk. Assuming there isn't any damage to the room, the security deposit/credit card hold will drop off within a week or two. If there is damage to the room, it will charge incidental fees to the credit card.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

iAteTheRamen

Quote from: kookiekween99 on January 15, 2016, 11:04:14 PM
When you check in, you will need to have the card you used to reserve the room, but you can choose to put the security deposit on a different card. I highly recommend putting the security deposit on a credit card, because if you use a debit card, it can put a hold on your funds for weeks.

Does the owner of the credit card have to be present? Also, is it absolutely necessary to bring the credit card? Couldn't I just bring proof of sorts that I reserved the room?

jm1991

Yes, the credit card holder needs to be present or they will deny you as its suspected fraud. If the person will not be there, ask the hotel for a credit card authorization form and submit it back to the hotel prior to check in. Its also advisable that you keep a copy on you just in case they cant locate it, which sometimes happens. Authorization forms can be used for payment as well as incidental deposits so if they mark all charges, all you would need at check in would be your I.D. Also be sure you are aware of the hotel's age policy. Many hotels in san jose require you to be 21 and up.

iAteTheRamen

Ahh, I see. I've talked it over with my dad. I think he'll most likely just be driving along with us and he'll be there when we check in.

Quote from: jm1991 on January 16, 2016, 05:01:29 PM
Also be sure you are aware of the hotel's age policy. Many hotels in san jose require you to be 21 and up.

I will in fact be 21 by the time Fanime rolls around, but that confuses me (and is now making me lightweight nervous). Does this mean that everyone I'm sharing the room with has to be 21+? Or does it all depend on specific hotels' policies? The person in charge of booking and paying for the room for my group last year was 18/19 years old. He was the youngest of us and he went through the whole shebang without a parent/guardian.

Thanks again for your help and patience with me, everyone, I seriously appreciate it! Hopefully it won't be this complicated for me next year. ;__;

echoshadow

Quote from: iAteTheRamen on January 16, 2016, 08:07:23 PM
Ahh, I see. I've talked it over with my dad. I think he'll most likely just be driving along with us and he'll be there when we check in.

I will in fact be 21 by the time Fanime rolls around, but that confuses me (and is now making me lightweight nervous). Does this mean that everyone I'm sharing the room with has to be 21+? Or does it all depend on specific hotels' policies? The person in charge of booking and paying for the room for my group last year was 18/19 years old. He was the youngest of us and he went through the whole shebang without a parent/guardian.

Thanks again for your help and patience with me, everyone, I seriously appreciate it! Hopefully it won't be this complicated for me next year. ;__;

If your over 18, have state issued ID and a credit card, you'll have no worries booking a hotel. I have never seen nor heard of hotels getting complicated for 18 year olds. Only time I have noticed is when there are minors getting a room. Thus the need an adult supervision. 

Just to put your mind at ease call the hotels you wish to stay and ask them their age policy.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

iAteTheRamen

I think I've finally gotten my plans put together. Thanks so much for your help everyone, truly! :3