Artist Alley 2017 FAQ

Started by mkaa, January 24, 2016, 06:56:12 PM

mkaa

For any information concerning the FanimeCon Artist Alley, please see our FAQ on the FanimeCon website.

Also please stay informed on the FanimeCon Website, Twitter, and Facebook Page.

Thank you!
Artist Alley Staff

KairuPhotography

I am a photographer and was hoping to sell a few cosplay prints as well as a new cosplay photobook I'm producing at Fanime con 2017.

I was wondering if Artist Alley would be an appropriate place to apply for selling these things, since cosplay guests typically sell cosplay photo prints in artist alley as well ?

Thanks for any advice / guidance you can provide!

SquishyK

Are these photos of other people cosplaying? And if so do you have written permission to sell photos of them?
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

KairuPhotography

Quote from: SquishyK on September 15, 2016, 01:41:46 PM
Are these photos of other people cosplaying? And if so do you have written permission to sell photos of them?

Yes, the photos are of cosplayers in cosplay. All photos I've taken have a written release, including print sales.

KairuPhotography

I've been informed via e-mail that Artist Alley only allows guest cosplayers to sell cosplay photos, and that no one else would be allowed to (this year at least).

Very disappointing and disheartening to hear that only special guests are allowed to sell something at Fanime but normal sellers won't be allowed to.

PLUMPKIN

Hello!

This will be my very first attempt to apply for Artist Alley. I did have a question about this:

"Reproductions of any existing licensed merchandise, logos, or merchandise with attached logos in any form."

Does this mean that no fanart is allowed? At previous Fanimes, I've seen a number of fanart (i.e. posters, magnets, badge art, jewelry, pins, etc.) from a number of fandoms including the following: Pokemon, Star Wars, Star Trek, Sailor Moon, Marvel, DC, etc. Seeing that these companies own the copyrights to all the characters and their likenesses, does this mean that there is no fanart allowed whatsoever?

This is all very new to me, and everything I've read basically states that most stuff on Etsy is actually illegal. Definitely input would be much appreciated before I inadvertently get sued!

SquishyK

When they talk about "Reproductions of any existing licensed merchandise" they are primarily referring to crafts and knock-off products. For example if Nintendo makes a Sonic figurine then as an artist I couldn't sell a Sonic figurine that I created myself. If they make and sell a licensed key-blade then I can't make one myself and sell it. Now on the other hand nobody makes a licensed Batman top-hat and there have been various bat symbols over the years so if I make a bat symbol that is reminiscent of be not identical to any licensed Batman logo then I could reasonable make a "Bat Superhero Top Hat" and that wouldn't directly violate any licenses. Also, cosplay props for items that do not have a licensed version for sale could reasonably be considered acceptable. Now "fan art" is considered derivative artwork so it generally receives a pass at conventions though each convention has their own rules on this. Fanime has in the past allowed Fan Art and I DO NOT think that the way it is phrased here implies that the policy has changed. Fan Art should still be fine, I think. All that said, creating unlicensed products based on other people's works will always be walking the grey line of legality, it's a complicated issue.

Tested/MythBusters:

PLUMPKIN

Thanks for the reply!

So for clarification, something like this (not my etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/listing/289252795/pokeball-wooden-coasters-set-of-4-gifts?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=anime%20coasters&ref=sc_gallery_4&plkey=b1554aefdb0052d2ad9fa9a9cbbe3bb6fffe8288:289252795) would be considered "fanart" and acceptable? Whoever is selling this coaster is lucky, because from what I've read they are violating copyright law with that Pokeball.

SquishyK

My best guess is that those coasters would be passable (it's not an exact replica of a logo) although it isn't really "fanart" either. However, it's also obvious enough that if Nintendo complained to etsy I'm sure that etsy would remove the listing. If you have a question about something specific you can try emailing the artist alley people although there are hundreds of artists that try to get into fanime so I'm not sure how well they will be able to address specific concerns. The other thing to keep in mind is that what it sold in bulk online tends to be under higher scrutiny by license holders then what is sold at conventions. What kind of art do you make exactly? Are you planning of doing laser cut products or the like? If you are planning on producing product that have costly materials (essentially anything besides art prints) and you don't keep a stock of items that you sell regularly at conventions or online then you might want to reconsider selling at fanime or at least producing lots of items before you even knows if you will be accepted. I would suggest creating a good sampling of the kind of items you will be selling (like a dozen or so demo pieces) to include in your portfolio that you need to submit to compete for a table. Then once you have been approved create your stock of items. If you are just doing prints the same concept still sort of applies. Create the artwork and then order prints once you have been approved. I think they are getting the ball rolling early this year but in previous years table approval has come down to the wire. I'm not sure fanime is the best place for a first time seller. It was the first convention I sold at but that was before the judging process was implemented. It's very competitive even really amazing artist get turned down there is just more demand for tables then supply.

Tested/MythBusters:

SketchBeetle

Just emailed the Fanime AA email but thought I'd ask here too in case one replies faster :)

Does anyone have a working link to the AA rubric that's linked in the original post? The current link sends me to a "not found" page.

Thanks!

WonderfullyKawaii

Hi this will be my first time selling at Fanime, that is if I get accepted, so I have some questions. I read all the rules and stuff but I still have questions. I want to sell my polymer clay jewelry and accessories, it will be nerdy and cute stuff. I am wondering how much of what I am selling do I need to show you in my portfolio? Because with timing and school I might not finish everything to show you everything in my portfolio. I have a bunch done, but might still be working on things after registration. I really want to start selling my stuff and I though why not start at Fanime.