Fanfiction Workshop series 2016 - [TIMES POSTED]

Started by Firefury Amahira, January 25, 2016, 12:32:21 AM

Firefury Amahira

Coming up on that time of year again, One and I need to start thrashing out our panel plans for the fanfiction writing workshop. I don't predict too much deviation from last year, though I am thinking of making the suggestion that we request a 2-hour slot for the 18+ Fanfiction 369 panel. Fanfic 101, 201, and 120 we have pretty well ironed out so we don't run into too much time limit woes, but due to the nature of the content and lots of questions from the audience, 369 seems to consistently run short on time.

So, as usual, the tentative plan for the workshops this year:
Fanfiction 101: Friday, 5pm The crash course into story basics. Panel covers basics such as organizing your plot, writing perspectives, types of scenes, avoiding writers' block, and an introduction to fanfiction-specific jargon. Also discusses in brief the legal ramifications of fanfiction and tips for publishing online. Great introduction to the subject for anyone interested in getting into fanfiction writing, with a lot of the material we cover also being applicable to creative writing in general.

Fanfiction 201: Saturday, 1pm The character focus panel. Covers more advanced material pertaining specifically to characters and character creation. Includes material on writing and developing existing characters, creating antagonists, creating original characters, and how characters interact. Also explains the basics of what "Mary Sue" is, along with recommendations to avoid falling into that trap. Generally meant for writers who already have some practice under their belt, but also useful for beginners looking for more specific information.

Fanfiction 369 (18+): Sunday, 9pm The "How to write sex" panel. Advanced panel discussing how to write erotica in fanfiction. Panel includes a brief lecture and powerpoint presentation with anatomical drawings detailing sexual anatomy and response, how to apply it to realistic erotica, suggestions on how to apply it to unrealistic erotica (tentacles!), and common sexual myths. Also covered are some narrative techniques for writing erotic scenes, such as the impact of language choice, in addition to some basics about incorporating fetish material into the story. Obviously, this is not a panel for children or the easily offended, given it involves some extremely frank discussion of anatomy, sex, kinks, and so on.

Fanfiction 120: Monday, 11am Catch-all "Open Lab" discussion for various topics that don't quite fit into the other panels. Possible topics include titles and summary-writing, reviewing and reacting to reviews, and use of foreign language in fanfic. In addition, more specific information on writing certain scene types such as action sequences can be covered if there's an interest. Also open to questions and further discussion on topics from the 101 and 201 panels. More relaxed than the 101 or 201 panels, with more room for just bouncing story ideas around.

Once submissions open, we'll keep folks posted on the acceptance status/panels times. As always, recommendations and feedback are most welcome.
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

Firefury Amahira

And we're submitted! Mildly annoyed I don't see any "Hey guys, BTW panel submissions are open!" notice on the forum, but then it seems like Fanime is being even worse than usual at communication this year. :(
--

Firefury Amahira

Haven't got the room locations handy, but I do have the times for those interested:
Fanfic 101: Fri 5 PM
Fanfic 201: Sat 1 PM
Fanfic 369: Sun 9 PM
Fanfic 120: Mon 11 AM
--