2016 Old School Cosplay Gathering

Started by InsaneDavid, February 16, 2016, 10:35:33 AM

InsaneDavid

Thank you so much for attending the 2016 FanimeCon Old School Cosplay Gathering!

See You In 2017!

I plan on happily returning to host this gathering once again 2017!  We'll probably move it an hour later next year to allow more people to attend due to hotel check-ins and the Friday workday.  I will also have a much larger list for the photography shoot order.  THANK YOU to gathering attendees who suggested some outstanding photography groupings!!

Pictures of the gathering taken by my co-host, Captain Shinobu Nagumo, can be viewed here at our cosplay page - https://www.facebook.com/mokkoricosplay/photos/?tab=album&album_id=512071695648644 - this is an updated link with high resolution images.  Sorry for the earlier low-res album!

We've now moved the gallery to Facebook as a more permanent home.  Please feel free to tag and share!

Mobius Photography OSG photo album - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1027743667302832.1073741840.819812181429316&type=3

Studio Stormfalcon has OSG pictures here, starting on page 9 - https://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography/FanimeCon-2016-05-27/ - he also has good shots of the Macross gathering and pictures of many others who attended the OSG that he encountered throughout the day. Check it out!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Greetings old school cosplayers!  BSaphire stated at the conclusion of 2015's Old School Cosplay Gathering that she hoped the tradition of an old school gathering would continue.  The 2014 Old School Cosplay Gathering is what got my girlfriend and I into cosplay and I see no signs of us stopping.

With that, I want to announce the Fanime 2016 Old School Cosplay Gathering!

Come celebrate the rich history of Japanese entertainment culture!

This is a hugely open gathering for those of you / us who cosplay as characters from the previous century.  Essentially if your cosplay character appears in Anime, Manga, Video Games or Live Action (resident beings of Nebula M78 are welcome) pre-2001 on back, then this is the gathering for you!

Please post who your character is, what title it is from and what year you are representing!

Day : Friday, May 27th
Time : 5pm - 6pm
Meeting Place (MP) : Same as Location.
Location (L) : G4 = "The Hub" (alcove area 1st floor)

Cosplayers :
InsaneDavid - Captain Kiichi Goto (Mobile Police Patlabor - 1989)
InsaneDavid's SO - Captain Shinobu Nagumo (Mobile Police Patlabor - 1989)
Angelx624 - Kagura Sohma (Fruits Basket - 1998)
Red_Eye - Moonlight Knight (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R - 1993)

...and more as people pop in to this gathering - it's always a surprising mix!

Legal Statement : Fanime will be taking group pictures during the Gathering/Event this year. If you do not want to be included in those pictures please step aside for those photos. By remaining with the group when the pictures are being taken you give your consent to be photographed.

Photography Order :
Group shot.
By era - 1960's (or earlier).
By era - 1970's.
By era - 1980's.
By era - 1990's (to 2000).
Timeline group shot by era (dependent on gathering size).
Pairings.
Requests.

Facebook Event Link : https://www.facebook.com/events/1155421784469122/

This is an excellent gathering to psyche you up for the convention weekend.  If you're an old school cosplayer, stop by and join us!

Thank you so very much.  Let's have a great turnout and continue this wonderful Fanime tradition!

I'm ALWAYS active on the forums!

Retro Cosplay, Easy As XYZ

InsaneDavid

Angelx624

Since Final Fantasy VIII came out in 1999, then would Rinoa be ok?? ^^
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Nina Star 9

Oooh...this is a gathering that always interests me, but that I never have a chance to go to.

If it's on Friday again, it'll depend heavily on my cosplay and photoshoot schedule. If I end up going, at this point, Ultimecia (FFVIII), Lady Oscar (Rose of Versailles), Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3), and Utena Tenjou (Adolescene of Utena) are all potential options, depending on my shoot schedule, when the other gatherings are, and what I actually end up making (since two of those are "maybe" costumes).

Angelx624

Come to think of it, the Fruits Basket manga started in 1998. So Kagura might work, too......... XDD

Ahh, well it all depends on who I wear on what day. ^^;; So I'm just waiting for gathering dates at this point!
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on February 16, 2016, 06:00:49 PM
Since Final Fantasy VIII came out in 1999, then would Rinoa be ok?? ^^

Absolutely!

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 16, 2016, 06:15:59 PM
Oooh...this is a gathering that always interests me, but that I never have a chance to go to.

If it's on Friday again, it'll depend heavily on my cosplay and photoshoot schedule. If I end up going, at this point, Ultimecia (FFVIII), Lady Oscar (Rose of Versailles), Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3), and Utena Tenjou (Adolescene of Utena) are all potential options, depending on my shoot schedule, when the other gatherings are, and what I actually end up making (since two of those are "maybe" costumes).

I know it makes it a difficult one for some to attend but I really want to push for Friday.  I see this gathering as a good "psyche up" for the weekend and there's generally not a whole lot to do for most on Friday evening before Swap Meet.  Last year there was both a Friday and Saturday Old School Gathering and while Friday had a huge turnout, Saturday's attendance was about 1/6th of that.

Either way, all of the costumes you have listed sound outstanding!

Nina Star 9

Friday is a great day for the gathering, and it has historically been on that day, it's just my own plans that are totally up in the air at this point. I went several years ago...2012 maybe? as Maj. Kusanagi, and had a good time. It was Friday then, in the evening (~6PMish?), and I think it's usually around then.

It mostly depends on when my Ultimecia and Pearl photoshoots end up being, and that depends on photographers. It also depends on if I decide to make Lady Oscar, Angela, or Opal (Steven Universe, so not old school), and if I make Opal, if the SU gathering is the same day. Since my third new cosplay slot of the con is pretty open, I don't really want to commit to anything yet.

Actually, my only real solid plans are on Saturday afternoon of the con, and that's for a big RGU group that I'm trying to get together, so that certainly counts as old school (and I wish I could attend with some of the group, but we can't do it on Friday, and I agree that Friday is a better day for this gathering), but I won't be able to do it for this gathering.

Also depending on plans, I have plenty of other pre-2000 cosplays that I can bring, but the ones listed are most likely to be brought out for this con and at this time. :] (I tend to overschedule my Fanimecons!)

Angelx624

Friday would be good!! I'm going to assume that the Final Fantasy gathering will be on Saturday. And for Friday I was thinking of doing Fruits Basket then(not sure if there'll be a gathering for it, but I'm thinking of trying to host one myself if no one else does.....) So.... I might come as Kagura. ^^
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

That's the great thing about this gathering, it can be a quick stop by or "in addition to" gathering meet up for many people.

Tiptop

So long as this isn't during the Ghibli gathering, expect a Laputa robot.  ;D

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Tiptop on March 15, 2016, 07:15:56 PM
So long as this isn't during the Ghibli gathering, expect a Laputa robot.  ;D

Awesome!

InsaneDavid

Gathering date and time has been approved and is in the first post.  Super excited that this will continue to be on Friday!

Angelx624

Yeah, I'll definitely be there as Kagura from Fruits Basket. ^u^
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Angelx624 on March 21, 2016, 06:10:48 PM
Yeah, I'll definitely be there as Kagura from Fruits Basket. ^u^

Outstanding!

Reminds me that I need to get to work on finishing up my Patlabor uniforms.

Red_Eye

Red_Eye - Moonlight Knight (Sailor Moon R - 90s)

Sound good?

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Red_Eye on March 29, 2016, 11:25:43 AM
Red_Eye - Moonlight Knight (Sailor Moon R - 90s)

Sound good?

Absolutely!

InsaneDavid

Michi

My friends and I will be doing Dragon Quest III costumes (1988!) on Friday but I'm not sure if we'll be in them this late in the day. I guess we'll see and drop by if we are!
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

InsaneDavid

Quote from: Michi on April 05, 2016, 12:51:05 PM
My friends and I will be doing Dragon Quest III costumes (1988!) on Friday but I'm not sure if we'll be in them this late in the day. I guess we'll see and drop by if we are!

That would be outstanding.  DQIII is such an important game to the history of RPGs in the east, really when they became fully formed and dropped the baggage of Wizardy and Ultima III that was in their DNA from the start.  Also the first RPG with bunny girls!  :)

CloudlessWonder

Hopefully Presea from Magic Knight Rayearth (mid 1990s)