Narutrition: How to survive the convention food scene! Approved!

Started by Belfry, February 25, 2016, 08:25:57 PM

Belfry

Learn how to navigate the convention food scene! Get tips and tricks from a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist with more than 10 years of con experience. Show off your nutrition knowledge to win prizes. From how to prepare for your hotel room stay to how to prevent dehydration while in a full fursuit, you'll learn all about how to keep healthy and well fed so you can make the most of your Fanime experience!

When: Friday 5/27/16 from 3:00-4:00pm.
Where: Panel Room 3.

Hi everyone! I'm a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist and I'm going to be hosting a panel on nutrition, keeping healthy, and keeping well fed while at Fanime. Topics I plan to include are:

Safe foods to bring with to the convention
Food safety while at the convention
What foods you can store and prepare in your hotel room
CONstipation
Hydration while in cosplay
How to eat a balanced meal while at Fanime
Important nutrients you need to make sure you get to stay healthy and have the energy to do all things you have planned.

Are there any topics that you guys would like to see added or removed?

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at Fanime this year!

commisar_maticus

The mcdonald down the street from the convention center is gone.

Enkai

Good thing there are plenty of other food options at Fanime besides McDonalds then.

He does bring up an interesting point though.  On the "surviving Fanime" topic, are you going to be covering eateries nearby, since I am guessing that it's going to be difficult for people who haven't already brought healthy food supply options to obtain those.  There are a number of healthier options around, but they can be pricey.  Or were you just thinking of sending everybody to the Safeway on 2nd street?  (speaking of pricey, there's also a Whole Foods maybe a mile and a half, maybe a bit less from the con center, if folks are willing to walk that far and/or hop on the light rail). Those are the main supermarkets within walking distance though.

Belfry

Quote from: Enkai on March 03, 2016, 06:25:26 AM
Good thing there are plenty of other food options at Fanime besides McDonalds then.

He does bring up an interesting point though.  On the "surviving Fanime" topic, are you going to be covering eateries nearby, since I am guessing that it's going to be difficult for people who haven't already brought healthy food supply options to obtain those.  There are a number of healthier options around, but they can be pricey.  Or were you just thinking of sending everybody to the Safeway on 2nd street?  (speaking of pricey, there's also a Whole Foods maybe a mile and a half, maybe a bit less from the con center, if folks are willing to walk that far and/or hop on the light rail). Those are the main supermarkets within walking distance though.
I'm planning to cover as many food options as I can without specifically sending anyone anywhere. I'm going to include eating in your hotel room, eating at the con, visiting nearby grocery stores, and eating at food establishments around the convention center. My goal is to make people aware of all the different options they have available.

Enkai

Sounds good. I don't know if you are local to San Jose, but I am, so if you need any answers as to what is around specifically, I can answer questions, if you've got them.  Downtown SJ has a pretty wide variety of options, unlike some convention centers, so you can probably keep it pretty general and be fine.  Some amount of specifics I think would be helpful, not necessarily sending people somewhere, but info on what's out there, because it seems sometimes convention attendees don't realize there is anything beyond Johnny Rockets.

Belfry

Quote from: Enkai on March 03, 2016, 10:58:34 PM
Sounds good. I don't know if you are local to San Jose, but I am, so if you need any answers as to what is around specifically, I can answer questions, if you've got them.  Downtown SJ has a pretty wide variety of options, unlike some convention centers, so you can probably keep it pretty general and be fine.  Some amount of specifics I think would be helpful, not necessarily sending people somewhere, but info on what's out there, because it seems sometimes convention attendees don't realize there is anything beyond Johnny Rockets.
I'm not local to San Jose, just to the bay area. If I have any questions I'll be sure to shoot them your way.

Yes, I think including some specifics would be good, but without going into excessive detail. And I've heard about the monster crowds at Johnny Rocket's, which is why I've never personally had the opportunity to eat there during con.

Belfry

Exciting news! I just got official approval for the panel. Looking forward to seeing everyone next month!

commisar_maticus

on 2nd and San Salvador St is a good Chinese place called Bo Town
2nd and San Fernando St there is a small Safeway
on 2nd in between San Fernando St and San Carlos St there is the pita pit
take the light rail going to Alum rock or mountain view and get off at Japantown/Ayer walk down Jackson St and go to japan town