FanimeCon 2017 Forums

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 18+ Events/Badges  (Read 4915 times)

Anna_Cherry

• Full Metal Post
    • View Profile
18+ Events/Badges
« on: March 19, 2016, 04:08:05 PM »

Hello mina!

I really hope there are many others out there who will understand where I am coming from with this topic. As a girl who is fairly outgoing and flirtatious, I really like meeting new people -- especially other female cosplayers and otakus like myself. However, at events like this it is really hard to tell the age of the person you are interacting with and I really hate the uncomfortable grey zone it creates in when you are not sure if the person you are approaching is of legal age.

18+ dance events and panels are an amazing start but I would really like to see maybe the name zone on the badge highlighted pink for those under 18 or even under 21. I think this will not only improve the atmosphere for us adults but also make everyone feel safer within these designated lines. Just a thought!

TC_X0_Lt_0X

• Post in the Shell: SAC
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
Re: 18+ Events/Badges
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:22:57 AM »

Im not sure if there is a viable means to verify an age though. If memory serves correctly, in registration you can just put any age effectively, and the age entry is a age range even. I suppose verification can be done at badge pickup, but that might slow it down a bit and cause conflict, especially with group registration where most of the group wont be around to verify their ages. I think most importantly though, if you are going to mark age on badges, there might be an expectation that a badge marked for a certain age can be used in place of showing ID, and with that there could be an issue with people trading their badges to underage congoers. And if thats not allowed, then Im sure a lot of people are going to be wondering why it is being implemented at all.

These aren't all huge issues and can probably be remedied easily enough, but in the long run Im not sure if is all that worth dealing with either. I think it might just be easier to ask how old they are. You can be indirect about it and ask them where they are taking classes, where they work, or if they drink or something as well easy enough. Its all easy to lie about no doubt, but not any less then it is to lie to registration.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

eHash

• Inu-Posta
    • View Profile
Re: 18+ Events/Badges
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:39:37 AM »

i've seen people switch badges all the time.  you should probably be asking how old they are if you are doing something that requires that..and on another note...shouldn't it be 18 not 21...I mean...Fanime is a dry convention...why would they differentiate who can drink or smoke (with the new cali law)....?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.