18+ Events/Badges

Started by Anna_Cherry, March 19, 2016, 04:08:05 PM

Anna_Cherry

Hello mina!

I really hope there are many others out there who will understand where I am coming from with this topic. As a girl who is fairly outgoing and flirtatious, I really like meeting new people -- especially other female cosplayers and otakus like myself. However, at events like this it is really hard to tell the age of the person you are interacting with and I really hate the uncomfortable grey zone it creates in when you are not sure if the person you are approaching is of legal age.

18+ dance events and panels are an amazing start but I would really like to see maybe the name zone on the badge highlighted pink for those under 18 or even under 21. I think this will not only improve the atmosphere for us adults but also make everyone feel safer within these designated lines. Just a thought!

TC X0 Lt 0X

Im not sure if there is a viable means to verify an age though. If memory serves correctly, in registration you can just put any age effectively, and the age entry is a age range even. I suppose verification can be done at badge pickup, but that might slow it down a bit and cause conflict, especially with group registration where most of the group wont be around to verify their ages. I think most importantly though, if you are going to mark age on badges, there might be an expectation that a badge marked for a certain age can be used in place of showing ID, and with that there could be an issue with people trading their badges to underage congoers. And if thats not allowed, then Im sure a lot of people are going to be wondering why it is being implemented at all.

These aren't all huge issues and can probably be remedied easily enough, but in the long run Im not sure if is all that worth dealing with either. I think it might just be easier to ask how old they are. You can be indirect about it and ask them where they are taking classes, where they work, or if they drink or something as well easy enough. Its all easy to lie about no doubt, but not any less then it is to lie to registration.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

eHash

i've seen people switch badges all the time.  you should probably be asking how old they are if you are doing something that requires that..and on another note...shouldn't it be 18 not 21...I mean...Fanime is a dry convention...why would they differentiate who can drink or smoke (with the new cali law)....?

WorldDominationStudios

Is OP afraid that she'll have a one-night stand with someone she meets at the con, only to find out later that he's under 18?

I do not see the purpose of this thread or the suggestion.

Angelx624

As someone who was part of an 18+ panel this year, I believe they check your ID before you enter an 18+ panel or event.

But honestly when I saw the title of this thread I thought it would just be questions about said events. But merp. :X Other than the panels and such, they don't check your age for anything. Cause most of Fanime is all ages. XD

If you want to find someone of age, go to one of the bars in San Jose?? o_O
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

Nina Star 9

I can understand being uncomfortable meeting and chatting with people and then finding out they're half your age. It feels like it can get real inappropriate real fast, even if you're not making any sort of sexual advances. (I also have the problem of having to reject a lot of 14-year-old baby lesbians who are constantly hitting on me at cons, but I don't think that 18+ badges would help with that :P) Even though nothing salacious is happening, and I'm not a flirty person, I'd much rather chill with people closer to my own age, thankyouverymuch.

For something where it's just a social issue, something like ribbons might be a good idea -- not mandatory, and not something that would allow or disallow access to an 18+ event, but something where if you want it, you can stick it on your badge and indicate to others that you are above/below legal age. Might help parents feel a little more safe with their kids there, though I can also see how predators might try to single underage people out, and it might be an issue if someone under 18 gets a hold of an over 18 ribbon, but if people /are/ trying to hook up and are smart about it regardless of ribbon, that shouldn't be as much of a problem, since they wouldn't be official.

There's no way that badges or anything would be a good way to very age for official reasons, but if it's just the social aspect, it might be worth a shot to try unofficially.

Quote from: WorldDominationStudios on May 29, 2017, 01:56:11 PM
Is OP afraid that she'll have a one-night stand with someone she meets at the con, only to find out later that he's under 18?

Not everyone who is uncomfortable with the idea of hanging out with people way younger is trying to hook up with them. Besides, OP literally said that she likes to meet women at cons. If you're going to suggest this (hey, nothing wrong with it between consenting adults), then at least get the gender right. ;]

Abyss1

Quote from: Angelx624 on June 06, 2017, 05:54:24 PM

Or you can got to one of the bars in the adjacent con hotels...there are like 3 i think...

eHash

Wouldn't this make it easier for predators to identify prey as well?

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on June 07, 2017, 01:16:33 PM
I can understand being uncomfortable meeting and chatting with people and then finding out they're half your age. It feels like it can get real inappropriate real fast, even if you're not making any sort of sexual advances. (I also have the problem of having to reject a lot of 14-year-old baby lesbians who are constantly hitting on me at cons, but I don't think that 18+ badges would help with that :P) Even though nothing salacious is happening, and I'm not a flirty person, I'd much rather chill with people closer to my own age, thankyouverymuch.

For something where it's just a social issue, something like ribbons might be a good idea -- not mandatory, and not something that would allow or disallow access to an 18+ event, but something where if you want it, you can stick it on your badge and indicate to others that you are above/below legal age. Might help parents feel a little more safe with their kids there, though I can also see how predators might try to single underage people out, and it might be an issue if someone under 18 gets a hold of an over 18 ribbon, but if people /are/ trying to hook up and are smart about it regardless of ribbon, that shouldn't be as much of a problem, since they wouldn't be official.

There's no way that badges or anything would be a good way to very age for official reasons, but if it's just the social aspect, it might be worth a shot to try unofficially.

Quote from: WorldDominationStudios on May 29, 2017, 01:56:11 PM

Not everyone who is uncomfortable with the idea of hanging out with people way younger is trying to hook up with them. Besides, OP literally said that she likes to meet women at cons. If you're going to suggest this (hey, nothing wrong with it between consenting adults), then at least get the gender right. ;]

Nina Star 9

Quote from: eHash on June 08, 2017, 11:49:19 AM
Wouldn't this make it easier for predators to identify prey as well?
I'm mostly thinking out loud (out...text?) here, but

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on June 07, 2017, 01:16:33 PM
...though I can also see how predators might try to single underage people out...

I did already mention this.

I mostly don't see a need for this kind of demarcation, but if it were to be implemented, something unofficial and voluntary would make more sense to me than having official badges. I know ALA has historically had their "jailbait" ribbons, though I've never attended, so I'm not sure how well that has worked out or how it would work within the culture of a different con. Again, mostly just thinking out loud.

Angelx624

Quote from: Abyss1 on June 07, 2017, 03:40:35 PM
Quote from: Angelx624 on June 06, 2017, 05:54:24 PM

Or you can got to one of the bars in the adjacent con hotels...there are like 3 i think...
Those, too. XD

And yeah, she did say she wanted to meet fellow female otakus/cosplayers. Dunno where World got the "he" from. :/ She did state she was outgoing and flirtatious, but she wasn't specifically saying "I want to meet men that are of age". =_= So @WorldDominationStudios, please get your facts straight before pointing fingers, thx.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)