The Official 2016 Black & White Ball Dress Code and Attire Questions Thread

Started by le_momo, March 21, 2016, 10:33:33 AM

le_momo

The 9th annual Black and White Ball is returning better than ever! The dance floor will be huge, the playlist will be extraordinary, and the night will be one to remember!

2016 Black & White Ball Dress Code

The dress code for the Black and White Ball is formal.
For more details as to what formal attire entails, please follow the guidelines in the dress code below.
Cosplay and crossplay are allowed, so long as the attire fits within the following guidelines.

Please note: The Dress Code will be strictly enforced — we will be denying entry to individuals wearing inappropriate attire.
Individuals who repeatedly disobey the dress code after entry will be asked to leave the event

Allowed Tops:

Allowed Bottoms:

Allowed Dresses/Skirts:

Allowed Accessories:

Allowed Shoes:

If your shoes have heels/platform of any kind, they must be...
Allowed Heels

Not Allowed Tops:

Not Allowed Bottoms:

Not Allowed Dresses/Skirts:

Not Allowed Accessories:

• Weapon props

Not Allowed Shoes:

• Shoes with large, visible logos (ie. Nike swoosh, Adidas logo, etc)

If your shoes have heels/platform of any kind, they cannot be...
    Not Allowed Heels:

This event was wonderful last year and we are expecting a great turn out this year as well. We hope that everyone will enjoy the Ball and have a great time, so that is why this thread is being posted.

If you have any questions or concerns over your outfit for the Ball, post them here. You can even post a picture of your outfit/cosplay here and we will let you know if it will be acceptable for the Black and White Ball.

If you would like your outfit to be a surprise until FanimeCon, you may also send us an email at [email protected] and we will get back to you with an answer as soon as we are able to.

- Rebecca
2017-2024 Extravaganzas Head
2013-2024 Black & White Ball Head
2010-2012 Black & White Ball Instructor/Staff/Second
FanimeCon attendee since 2005

Furrat

Will medieval tunics (long sleeved and fancy, think prince) be allowed?

le_momo

My apologies for the delayed response. I thought I had already posted!  :-\

Yes, formal medieval tunics will be allowed!

fanimefreak

Ultimately I don't think the black and white ball attire really matters. It seems it always starts off with strict rules regarding attire and as the night goes on people in storm trooper costumes, brightly covered cosplay, or large prop items get allowed in eventually.

le_momo

Quote from: fanimefreak on May 08, 2016, 03:57:09 PM
Ultimately I don't think the black and white ball attire really matters. It seems it always starts off with strict rules regarding attire and as the night goes on people in storm trooper costumes, brightly covered cosplay, or large prop items get allowed in eventually.

All cosplay that fits within the dress code is allowed. Uniformed cosplay like the storm trooper (I clearly remember the storm trooper wearing a button-up under the chest piece and a tie/bowtie over the uniform) are therefore allowed. We have no restrictions on colors, either, so brightly colored cosplay within the dress code guidelines are permitted.

Large props are also allowed if they are not weapons as long as they are not on the dance floor. Most of the large props we have had at the Ball include large walking staffs or wings, which are typically set at the table/chair the person is using, anyway. We have had people try to bring weapon props in the past, but they have never been allowed and have never gotten passed the dress code check.

Thank you for your feedback! We will do our best to make sure that the dress code applies to everyone equally throughout the evening to ensure the formality of the event. :)

- Rebecca

MrsMiroku

Ok so, in regards into formal wear for women, how much cleavage is to much cleavage? Just need to know if I need to alter my dress for the ball.

Red_Eye

I'm trying a new cosplay this year.  Would this qualify enough to be acceptable?

http://fav.me/da2ge25

Or should I look into renting a white tux to make it more formal? 

Linfalgamo

Is there an age limit to the ball? Or as long as they're dressed classy can a 4yo waltz in with her parents?
-Linfalgamo

le_momo

Quote from: MrsMiroku on May 10, 2016, 11:08:52 PM
Ok so, in regards into formal wear for women, how much cleavage is to much cleavage? Just need to know if I need to alter my dress for the ball.

We have no rules regarding cleavage at this point, so as long as it covers what needs to be covered, it should be fine. I would recommend using fabric tape to support the top of your dress, as dancing may move parts of the dress in a way that may become uncomfortable for you.

Quote from: Red_Eye on May 15, 2016, 10:16:01 PM
I'm trying a new cosplay this year.  Would this qualify enough to be acceptable?

http://fav.me/da2ge25

Or should I look into renting a white tux to make it more formal?

My major concerns are the following:
The part of the scarf which covers your face may be difficult to breathe while dancing in, especially when the dance floor gets crowded. The head covering itself is long, so that could be another challenge in itself on the dance floor.
I can't exactly tell what kind of top it is from the angle of the picture. What kind of top is it? If it is something like a white button-up, it would be fine, but I don't want to give you a definite answer without knowing for sure.

Quote from: Linfalgamo on May 19, 2016, 08:17:27 PM
Is there an age limit to the ball? Or as long as they're dressed classy can a 4yo waltz in with her parents?

There is no age limit! As long as the child has a badge for entry and is dressed up, they are welcome. :)

- Rebecca

kit rose

@sugarespecter

Fanime 2019: TBD

le_momo

CherryStrange

What about blood? If I show up as Carrie, will I be able to get in?

le_momo

Quote from: CherryStrange on May 25, 2016, 01:16:42 PM
What about blood? If I show up as Carrie, will I be able to get in?

Pre-bloody Carrie's dress would be appropriate for Ball. Unfortunately, the blood-covered dress may not be appropriate.

It's a difficult line to find between it being formal and not for something like this, but the horror aspect of it may not be suitable for the younger audience we are expecting at this all-ages event.

I appreciate your question! We have not had the gore aspect of cosplay addressed at Ball before, so it is helpful to get questions like this.

Thank you!

- Rebecca