Fanime Art Show - Will it continue?

Started by Xyterra3, April 03, 2016, 01:52:08 PM

The Fanime should really keep the Art Show

Yes. It's a part of the Fanime and should continue
9 (81.8%)
No. I don't care much about Art or Anime Fan Art.
0 (0%)
Indifferent. Art Show isn't part of my Con program
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 10, 2016, 11:37:27 PM

Xyterra3

I've been going to the Fanime since 1997, I've been in every Art Show, and I've sold pieces in every one except last year which was a big ol' goose egg.
Last year Cynlie Wang was a fill in for the Gallery and will not be hosting the next one. I've contacted Jonathan Crawford at Fanime Fan Services and he says "We have not yet decided upon the format that Art Gallery will take for the 2016 convention. Please watch our website, Facebook and Twitter accounts for information as it becomes available"  ???
It's only roughly 55 days until the Fanime opens and I'm concerned that there may not be an Art Show this time.  :'(
I'm hoping to get any information soon because it'll determine whether it's worth coming back to or not.

Red_Eye

Quote from: Xyterra3 on April 03, 2016, 01:52:08 PM
It's only roughly 55 days until the Fanime opens and I'm concerned that there may not be an Art Show this time.

I've been wondering the same thing for a while now...

With Artist Alley pretty much always getting booked solid in a flash every year, last year's gallery was the first chance I got to show off my own work there.  I REEEEALLY hope they have info very soon at this point.

Xyterra3

The last couple of years the Artist Alley has become similar to the Merchandise room. I remember how the AA looked a few years ago and now the table displays are just getting bigger and taller. Also it's getting too competitive so all that's left is the Art Show. So I'm with you. I may have not made any money last year but I sure don't want the Art Show to just fade off. I get the feeling the Fanime just doesn't take it seriously anymore, or if ever.

Xyterra3

Now there are only 51 days from this message post.
Starting to feel like Walter Bishop in the show Fringe. Only difference is I'm not dropping acid like him, but my concern is growing.

Xyterra3

When I was younger I spent most of my time drawing. I enjoyed it and I still do. Rarely ever did I show anyone, outside of family, any of my pieces. Wasn't comfortable with anyone else's opinion or input. That changed as time went on. In 1997 at the Fanime at Foothill College I went on display in the Art Show.
It was a big deal since any Con fans could just waltz in and eyeball my fan art. I wandered the Con for a while and eventually checked in at the Art Show to peek at the people viewing my works. When I saw my panels I noticed that a few of my drawings were missing. I was a bit dismayed at their absence. When I asked Kirk, the guy during that time running the art show, what happened he plainly told me that I had sold some pieces. I was surprised on two levels. One: someone actually liked and bought my art. Cooool.  Second: I'll most likely would never see those drawings ever again after all the work I put into them.

1997 Fanime was THE first time I sold art works. For 18 years I was one of the corner stones of the Fanime's Art Show, sold every single time, and fans would look for my works there. It's a very nice feeling. I like the Art Show a lot and I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the money too. But, that wouldn't be the end-all-be-all of it. The fact that I've been in an Art Show, marginally counting the NDK's Art Gallery in Colorado but haven't been back to it in over 6 years, is miraculous by itself. Okay so I didn't make any money last year. I didn't have any illusions that sometime down the road something would eventually change somehow. After all, the Fanime is a business and it's still growing. For all that time I've seen the Art Show to be my once a year niche to show off my best fan art, but that future is now in question. I wear a Blue Lantern ring (look it up) and like the best example I can follow, not blindly mind you, of optimism I've seen so far (Judy Hopps) I'll assure myself that something positive will come of the Art Show.

Xyterra3

:'(  Well, looks like only 49 days left by my count. Just an observation of personal experience, but since I know how it feels when 12 months goes by, unfortunately, 49 days is just not a lot of time.  :-\

Xyterra3

Well on the bright side if the Art Show does reappear this year, hopefully, at least whoever hosts it will have the same new display boards from last year.
Hopefully. :-\

Red_Eye

Quote from: Xyterra3 on April 09, 2016, 05:35:33 PM
Well on the bright side if the Art Show does reappear this year, hopefully, at least whoever hosts it will have the same new display boards from last year.
Hopefully. :-\

I hope so.  After the struggle I went through to get all the materials for it just days before the Con, they had better keep it.

Xyterra3

Amen. Truthfully speaking things have been rather slow in the art department for me since last year.
I'm not saying it's due to how the Art Show went last time but right now I only have one new original piece to show. :-\
I like the new display boards though. Now we just need someone a bit more committed to the Show.

Xyterra3

I may have been a bit inaccurate regarding the last post about only having one new original piece to show if the Art Show re-manifests (so to speak)
Right now I have the line art started for the next candidate in my Infinity Ponies project. Yeah yeah it isn't associated with anime fan art but the notion of giving Fluttershy the Soul Gem is very neat. Fans probably won't be too happy that she's in tears though. Soul Gem can do that. Especially to Fluttershy.
Sooo since there are about 47 days to go I may have it done well before then and maybe even get another started beforehand. Oh one can only hope I guess.  ::)

Xyterra3

You know it may sound somewhat wishfully self gratifying but allowing the Art Show to come back would make one heck of a nifty Birthday (April 15) present, for me.  ;D but of course be a wonderful benefit to all returning artists.  ;)

Xyterra3

Yeah I'll be 49 years old on the 15th. Been drawing since I was 7. Heck of a thing to consider. When you're young time doesn't have the kind of substantiality when you start reaching the age of reason and realization. I know it's not the same for everyone when they reach a certain age but for me it'll be quite substantial hitting the half century mark. Like a mentioned before, I had no illusions that the Art Show would change somehow down the line. I could look elsewhere for another anime convention, even challenge myself to go as far as the Anime Expo. It is bigger than the Fanime. I could do better there but why start over when I've established myself in the Fanime. 19 years is a serious stretch of time and the Fanime's Art Show is the only one I've displayed in the most. Sure I had 9 years in the NDK, even won a few awards, but aside from preferring the Fanime it's closer to home. I wouldn't pay the late registration fee if it wasn't worth it.

Xyterra3

Well according to the "watch the Fanime website for details" regarding the Art Gallery it still appears devoid of details.
Everything else on the list of Events is up and running. Good for them. Almost the middle of April and time is getting
short. Still I'll put on my Blue Lantern ring and continue to hope.  :D :-\

Xyterra3

Tick tick tick. Looks like only 42 days by my count.  :-\

Red_Eye

Regardless if it happens or not, am still gonna mat my new pieces just in case.  If anything, they'll look nice for whenever the next opportunity for their display should come...

Xyterra3

Well you do have a point there. I'm reluctant to let originals go anymore and color prints do look just as good. Glad to see there is another artist out there who appreciates the Art Gallery. If it does resurface we have to look for each other while hanging up our pieces.  ;D

Xyterra3

Yay and Happy Birthday to me!  ;D Well technically not until 10:30 pm but hey the day is here none-the-less and my belated gift of an Art Gallery still seems to be absent of details.
41 days and counting. However, that number is smaller considering it takes a considerable amount of time to organize an Art Gallery, so really it isn't really 41 days.  :-\

Red_Eye

Quote from: Xyterra3 on April 14, 2016, 03:59:28 PM
Well you do have a point there. I'm reluctant to let originals go anymore and color prints do look just as good. Glad to see there is another artist out there who appreciates the Art Gallery. If it does resurface we have to look for each other while hanging up our pieces.  ;D

Sounds good.  Would be cool meetin' face to face TBH

Xyterra3

I look forward to it. At that time we must remember to both shake our heads in a manner that says "what was all the fuss?"  ;D
I certainly will be.  ;)

Xyterra3

Well now I'm 49 years old. It's sort of good thing I didn't have a clue otherwise from a theoretical physics point of view I'd have altered my entire timeline.  :P Maybe I wouldn't have been over weight.

I've always looked forward to the Art Show each year. It was just a regular thing. Even waiting 12 months at a time was okay. The Oracle America building close by is a big landmark to me. A marker that says "here's the Fanime" so that's where the Art Show is. Still, like Red_Eye I'll just prepare the pieces for possibilities later.  :-\